Mini scale for Cafelat Robot - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by mkane »

rather not contribute to amazon

jpender

#62: Post by jpender »

Nice little scale. Perfect for travel. Since it is ±0.2g it's not ideal for weighing beans/grounds but good enough for on-the-go. And more than good enough for weighing shots.

An alternative that also easily fits the Robot: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O7942K/

At $18 it's a few dollars more expensive but it gives you 0.01g readout for the first 100g and then 0.1g for the 200-500g range.

You can find both of these scales elsewhere if you're not a fan of Mr. Bezos.

Advertisement
gunda

#63: Post by gunda »

Any Australian Robot owners found an economical way to purchase one of these Edo / Joe Frex / Yagua / Weightman scales with timer? Can't seem to find a local supplier, and the OS ones are either out of stock or don't ship to AU or charging over the odds.

Jeff
Team HB

#64: Post by Jeff »

I just got one of the 1 kg, Maxus/Edo/JoeFrex/Yugua/Weightman scales and, regrettably, it fails my needs in terms of sensitivity. The display is very readable, much better than most of the blue- or red-lit ones I've tried. The display is much less blue to the eye than the photos below show. It was surprisingly spot-on with 100 g and 500 g M2 cal weights, at the center as well as on all corners. However, when adding a bean at a time, either from zero or with the 100 g weight, it required 3-7 beans to change and that change was 0.3 or 0.4 g. If I removed the beans prior to the scale indicating a change, several times the "zero" had changed to -0.3 g or so, as if it was "helpfully" removing small variations.

Edit Oct 6th: Based on comments from Ken5 in Post #75, I'm testing this in basket prep to see if the sensitivity issue comes up during "normal" use.

Update October 19th:

From Post #82

TL;DR
  • Seems like a good-enough scale with nearly 0.1 g accuracy for weighing beans or grinds
  • Display readability is very good
  • Calibration is still "spot on" at 100 and 500 g
  • The auto-settle is a little annoying for grinds
  • No testing of brew weight or timer functions

Bottom line, for a cheap (US$11), tiny, readable scale, it seems like it will work well with a Robot and probably for pour-over as well.

If you're OK with the above its apparent 0.3 g accuracy/sensitivity, for US$11, it's an easy to use scale that fits the Robot well.

As I was hoping to primarily use it to weigh dose it unfortunately doesn't meet my needs.

Edit: It's a keeper for me for the Robot if I ever feel like weighing as I pull, as well as for one- or two-cup pour-overs.

Item ordered from Amazon under "MAXUS BREW Multifunction Digital Scale with Timer 1000g by 0.1g 0.01oz Large Bright LCD Display Pour-Over Coffee or Drip Espresso Scale Small Food Scale Grams and Ounces for Kitchen Stainless Steel" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089JYMRK6/

jpender

#65: Post by jpender »

This sounds like an over-zealous auto-zero function. All of these little scales do this to some degree as a convenience. Otherwise the scale would sometimes read non-zero even after being tared. People don't like that. The problem is if the algorithm tries a little too hard to correct for instability of the signal. Or maybe the underlying hardware just isn't very good so they are trying to smooth it over.

Another possibility is that the scale was in a bad place. Could it be that there were drafts? Or was sunlight hitting it? Vibration?

Jeff
Team HB

#66: Post by Jeff »

I think you're right on "overzealous" firmware. Still air, shady, no noticeable vibration. The "noise" from load cells, A/D converters, air currents, and vibration all push manufacturers to balance sensitivity with stability with some kind of filtering/averaging and other algorithms. Many applications for these scales don't require either the response time or sensitivity that "coffee" use asks for.

It seems to be good little scale for weighing static things, just not what I was looking for in a scale for adjusting a dose.

Ken5

#67: Post by Ken5 »

Weird, after I typed a long response that some of u may have already read, but I am getting different results now. I will follow up with another post soon :(

Advertisement
K7

#68: Post by K7 »

Jeff, I have the Weightman branded version from Amazon and don't have the problem you showed above. When I put on just a couple of beans, the scale shows 0.25 g or so as expected.

I bought it a few months back for the timer feature, but I am glad it fits very nicely with my 3 days old Robot. I put shrinkwrap over the button area to protect against frequent splatters when my machine was Breville Barista Express (extractions at 14 bar!) but I'm not sure it's needed anymore since there's little to no mess with the Robot. :D

Jeff
Team HB

#69: Post by Jeff »

The 300 g variant, which it sounds like you have, has 0.01 g divisions and similar effects would likely be under the 0.1 g level.

As some of my cups and a shot push or exceed 300 g, that one, for me, was not an option.

If 300 g is sufficient for your needs, I was impressed with the readability of the display and the layout, size, and labeling of the buttons.

K7

#70: Post by K7 replying to Jeff »

Ah, I see. Yes, mine is the 300 g max, 0.01g version. Agree the low weight limit is a notable downside. I came to live with it with small shot glasses/cups, but I noticed it craps out when I put on my regular 8 oz porcelain cup.

BTW, I don't know if this was mentioned, this scale tracks changing weight pretty fast, which is nice when pulling a shot.