Mini scale for Cafelat Robot - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Glen
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by Glen »

jpender

#42: Post by jpender »

Glen wrote:That Edo Barista scale is the same as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for that. I was thinking recently that an integrated timer function would be handy and the shipping from Europe/U.K. for the Edo is a bit steep. I do wish MAXUS had stuck with the black look though. Who wants a fire engine red scale? Taylor Swift?

naked-portafilter

#43: Post by naked-portafilter »

The Lunar fits below the ROBOT just fine. Use it regurarly.

Edoardo

#44: Post by Edoardo »

Thanks a lot, I will go with the Edo barista version because is easier to take, cant find It on AliExpress :roll:

jpender

#45: Post by jpender »

In the big Robot thread Glen posted that "the reported weight drifts up a few tenths of a gram when it's just sitting there; the manual even warns about it!"

Do they really admit in the manual that their scale doesn't work very well??

Glen
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by Glen »

The manual says, "take your reading within 3 to 12 seconds for the best result." Sometimes it does in fact drift (typically up) after a few seconds.

The manual claims an accuracy of +/- 0.5g, but I think it's better than that. Its readings match my other cheap scale (which is always consistent with itself), +/- 0.1g for light weights and +/- 0.2g for a few ounces.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by yakster »

My shots run longer than 12 seconds.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jpender

#48: Post by jpender replying to yakster »

Mine too. :-)

In the big Robot thread someone posted: "I have returned replaced several of this scale (different Amazon listings the Edo one is exactly the same look) and the same versions of it on Amazon. They all have a really bad drift to them and if you remove weight then out back on it will jump around sometimes 3 or 4 grams."

I currently own two inexpensive pocket scales. Each of them cost roughly the same as a bag of good roasted beans. I've had them for years. The one I use daily for measuring beans and espresso shots is sensitive to 0.01-0.02g. The other which I use less often goes down close to milligram sensitivity. Both of these scales work well. They're simple and reliable.

I don't want a scale that's crappy. I'm not sure about this one, the one that admits in its manual that it sucks. Is the ±0.5g precision and admitted drift a Q/C issue? Or are they just super-duper-ultra conservative with their specification? I don't really need a timer that bad.

Glen
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by Glen »

I just took about a minute to drip 42.1g of water into a cup on that drifting scale, and its end weight precisely matched my other scale. That said, I remain a little dubious about its trustworthiness, because I have seen it drift on occasion. In the end, I keep on using it, as I like the timer, and especially that it doesn't time out.

jpender

#50: Post by jpender »

Glen, thanks for the honest feedback.