Mini scale for Cafelat Robot - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by baristainzmking »

mlunsford27 wrote:How's the response time of the scale? do you feel like it lags behind and is hard to hit a particular weight?
Yes, there is definitely some lag time, but with the robot, I am really not too concerned with hitting the perfect time. ;). For the price and the functions that it offers it's a great buy.
Julia

Fisher

#22: Post by Fisher »

vit wrote:Can you say how long it stays turned on?

I bought a small pocket/jewelry scale from ebay (it was more or less the smallest available) for a few $ for usage with Flair, because the width of drip tray within the stand base is also limited.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500g-0-1g-Mini ... ctupt=true

Tried it once. Precision is ok, but I turned it on about 40s before I started the pull, and it turned off about 30s into the pull. So this one not recommended.
The key to keeping these scales "alive" during a lengthy pull is to firmly touch the scale (or push down on the rim of the cup, atop the scale) to keep it actively reading a significant amount of weight; the slow "drip-drop" or thin run of espresso weight is sometimes not enough increase in weight to keep the scale going during a longer pull. Give it a firm push every 15 or 20 seconds, and in my experience that keeps it weighing, without cutting out mid-pull.

vit

#23: Post by vit replying to Fisher »

Yes, I know that ... but my older scale is staying alive long enough, so it would be nice to have something similar ...

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

jpender wrote:I have a 500x0.01g scale that at 4.4" would fit, in theory. It was also around $15 on amazon. A good scale that has proven itself to be both accurate and reliable over a period of many years. I've traveled with it, dropped it. It keeps working very well.

It appears the price has gone up a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-S ... 0012TEQMG/
It's 2.9" wide. So it should fit... in theory!

It suffers from the same non-adjustable auto-off feature as many of these small scales. This one turns off after 60 seconds of inactivity. So you'd have to turn it on within a minute of starting the shot. But since it's a centigram scale it wouldn't shut off in the middle of a shot, even if it were just dripping into the cup. And the response time is pretty fast.

If/when I get a Robot it's what I plan to use, assuming I use a scale at all.

vit

#25: Post by vit »

Mine stays on indefinitely (or at least several minutes) if I continue adding or taking off weights of several grams. Unfortunately, slow espresso flow isn't enough to keep it alive

Alan762

#26: Post by Alan762 »

My old $20 scale finally died after almost 2 years of daily soaking from the E61 pressure release water. I am amazed it lasted as long as it did.
Couldn't find a new one so I ordered one of these.
It never gets easier, you just go faster. "Greg LeMond"

IMAWriter (original poster)

#27: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

I must confess using this scale is adding a wee bit to my stress level. :roll:
To insert the PF/Basket, I have to remove the cup, then then add it back. I'll see if I can get used to the extra couple steps. Thing is, the Robot is so blood simple..once your routine is locked in...that it seems almost counter-productive to get as fussy as weighing lever shots. Semi auto, yes, weighing is great as the shot stops immediately. I'll work at it, and see if I can get it right.

mcrmfc

#28: Post by mcrmfc »

Yeah the whole squeezing the portafilter in is a bit annoying....especially when you get into a declining temprature panic and...it...just...won't...lock....

I got these:

Ewolee Digital Pocket Scale - 500g x 0.01g Smart Jewelry Scale, USB Charging Multifunction Digital Scales with LCD Display and Tare Function, Stainless Steel for Accurate Gram and Slim Design https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N7GC8SZ/ ... yCbSKBNXVX

Pretty slim so I can still fit the Motta shot glass and squeeze PF in without taking glass away.

Nate42

#29: Post by Nate42 »

IMAWriter wrote:I must confess using this scale is adding a wee bit to my stress level. :roll:
To insert the PF/Basket, I have to remove the cup, then then add it back. I'll see if I can get used to the extra couple steps. Thing is, the Robot is so blood simple..once your routine is locked in...that it seems almost counter-productive to get as fussy as weighing lever shots. Semi auto, yes, weighing is great as the shot stops immediately. I'll work at it, and see if I can get it right.
You must be less clutzy than me, I always preferred to keep the cup out of he way while locking the portafilter in even when not using a scale. I do use a largish cup though. For me I think the time is probably a wash: I imagine I save as much time having stuff out of the way while locking the filter as I lose by needing to move the cup + scale over.

IMAWriter (original poster)

#30: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to Nate42 »

Ha, Nate, I ASSURE you I'm am klutzy. As to the cup, I've been using Brewista's glass double walled cups which are tall, and don't allow a lock in with the cup on the scale. I had a good session, by overheating the water a bit, leaving the scale on the Robot/silicon mat...pouring the hot water in, placing the cup on the scale...Tare...and pull...
I was able to stop the shot within .4 of my goal..early..I'd rather be early than late with this particular SO. Thankfully, it registers the first drips...after about 2 grams hits the cup.