Mini scale for Cafelat Robot - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Power Freak

Postby Power Freak » Feb 09, 2019, 12:24 pm

IMAWriter wrote:Your scale is a wee bit too wide..the space between the Robot's "legs" accommodates barely just 9.8 cm..or just under 4". So, though yours may fit "in theory", factually...no can do!! :lol: :wink:

I have a different branded version of what I assume is the same scale (same buttons, shape, look, etc) and it fits under my robot... The one I have is infuriatingly slow to respond but I have got the knack of it now and I'm usually around 0.5g either side of my target weight - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1

I had another scale: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1
Which worked really well but ate batteries like no tomorrow, I could only get about 2-4 shots out of a battery before it needed a battery replacement. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Watching

danetrainer

Postby danetrainer » Feb 09, 2019, 1:04 pm

It shows it has a hinged lid...must snap off easily without breaking?
Also appears to have a high failure rate according to the Amazon reviews.

I have a Harbor Frieght scale that fits perfectly, unfortunately it's no longer sold, the Magnum 1000.
I've purchased about 5 of them and given them away to friends that were raising their coffee standards. Never had a single failure with one and I still have two that are close to 5 years old.

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Feb 09, 2019, 1:55 pm

Julia...how are you liking it? s mentioned, mine arrives tomorrow.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Feb 09, 2019, 3:20 pm

That cup is so cute! Julia, where can it be found?

@ Rob, I think we have the answer on that scale. It looks perfect.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

baristainzmking

Postby baristainzmking » Feb 09, 2019, 5:32 pm

IMAWriter wrote:Julia...how are you liking it? s mentioned, mine arrives tomorrow.

I really like this scale and have no complaints to report. I took the cover off and never use it. I had coffee drip on it on multiple occasions without any i effects.
Julia

Javier

Postby Javier » Feb 09, 2019, 10:22 pm

I rarely use a scale with Cafelat Robot. However I use AWS-100 scale. It is rectangular, but the numbers in the display will show sideways when placed under the Robot.
LMWDP #115

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » replying to Javier » Feb 10, 2019, 1:40 am

Javier, I've never used a scale either, but it seems, due to the different crema output from different coffees, I get significantly different ratios (judging visually.). Maybe it's that the pours look so beautiful I get distracted! One blend, Espresso Mio, and Australian "Italian" blend..due to the 15% Robusta can appear to be 1-2 ratio...17 grams in, 34 out...but weighing post pull with my Brewista 2 scale, it was only 32grams, due to the dense crema. A SO Ethiopian looked like 32 grams, and it was 37! Tough to tell in the glass cup I use quite often. So, for grins, I'd like to try messing a bit with a scale. For $14.99, no biggie.

I've found real sweetness in the cup with the Robot, but USUALLY like my results at, or near a 1-2 ration. Shorter shots always seem just to powerful, and not as sweet. I love my Robot, and surprisingly, my bum shoulder is holding up decently.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

mlunsford27

Postby mlunsford27 » Feb 10, 2019, 8:34 am

baristainzmking wrote:I really like this scale and have no complaints to report. I took the cover off and never use it. I had coffee drip on it on multiple occasions without any i effects.

How's the response time of the scale? do you feel like it lags behind and is hard to hit a particular weight?

IMAWriter

Postby IMAWriter » Feb 10, 2019, 4:29 pm

WOW...I was JUST going to post my results with 1st time use of this scale.
Yews, it does lag a wee bit, and I overshot by about 1.5 grams. Next time, I'll work on seeing if I can tighten things up. I'd estimate it's about 1.5-2 seconds on lag time..prolly due to the slower drip/and or viscosity of the liquid? I guess at $15 it's to be expected. I would have paid $25 for faster response time, but to be fair, this little scale packs a lot of nice features, looks good, seems solid,. and the tare function is quick and works like a charm.
To again post WHICH scale I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Prec ... B00GTX3LAI
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

ira

Postby ira » Feb 10, 2019, 5:48 pm

I'm not sure if you can still find this, but it's about perfect. I got it from from oldwwillknotscales.com many years ago. It was model # GLASSCALE.

This one is by the same company and should also work perfectly:

https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-w ... 2-300.html

Ira