Mini Gaggia Restoration + Upgrade - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
banshee_toys (original poster)

#11: Post by banshee_toys (original poster) »

It wasn't too difficult, just very time consuming. Due to the large time difference it would often take 10-12 hours for a reply to a single message.

I started by measuring the inner dimensions of the boiler, as well as the heating element. I saw on TSE.at and other sites the replacement element was more of a circle than the weird wavy one mine originally came with.

I used Fusion 360 to design a 3D model of the element, and then converted it to a technical drawing with all the proper measurements. I hadn't used Fusion a lot but I'm familiar with other 3D modeling software so it didn't take me more than a day or two to be completely happy with the end product.

Finding a manufacturer that specialized in coffee machine heating elements, and was willing to produce less than 100+ was a bit of a pain, especially one that would do it affordably. Took around 2 months of back and forth, and testing of the delivered elements to get a batch I was happy with.

Who knows, I might go all the way and design an entire machine from scratch.

statsman

#12: Post by statsman »

Wow, that is quite a process. I would not have even known where to start. I admire you commitment!

RobAnybody

#13: Post by RobAnybody »

a few weeks ago in another thread (here Mini Gaggia mid 70's restoration - Piston seal help!)
it came up that TSE in austria still sells a lot of mini Gaggia parts:
https://www.tse.at/us/shop/index/cat/c2 ... ruppe.html
no springs though..
LMWDP #647

Felice
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Felice »

I just wanna come out for paper filters, with a lever in particular. The lever flavor is so clear, being able to really tighten up your grind via a 58mm lab filter is terrific. While an extra step or two, I haven't found it to be messy at all. Not to hijack, the lever in question is a mini.

scontri

#15: Post by scontri »

RobAnybody wrote:a few weeks ago in another thread (here Mini Gaggia mid 70's restoration - Piston seal help!)
it came up that TSE in austria still sells a lot of mini Gaggia parts:
https://www.tse.at/us/shop/index/cat/c2 ... ruppe.html
no springs though..
I bought 2 different springs (with different forces) in Alcomex: https://webshop.alcomexsprings.com/compression-springs - DR3410 & DR3600. I have used both, but not sure which one gives better result in the cup. In theory it should be DR3600 as it is stronger than the other one.
Regarding replacement parts - I found out that the Mini Gaggia group is compatible with Rancilio Z9, whose parts are cheap and easy to find at local stores.

Jacobbrews

#16: Post by Jacobbrews »

I'd really love to buy one of your 110 heating elements, I just bought a minigaggia from Italy that I want to mod just like yours

Jacobbrews

#17: Post by Jacobbrews »

I sent you a pm, If you still have the heating elements i'd love to buy one from you

Felice
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Felice »

scontri wrote:I bought 2 different springs (with different forces) in Alcomex: https://webshop.alcomexsprings.com/compression-springs - DR3410 & DR3600. I have used both, but not sure which one gives better result in the cup. In theory it should be DR3600 as it is stronger than the other one.
Regarding replacement parts - I found out that the Mini Gaggia group is compatible with Rancilio Z9, whose parts are cheap and easy to find at local stores.

It looks like there's a minimum order, anyone want to split an order of springs?

scontri

#19: Post by scontri »

banshee_toys wrote:
The second spring is definitely a must I'd say. I never got to try my Mini without it however, as it was much too filthy and the original element didn't work at all. I'd love to try another spring lever machine, but I like my 58mm basket too much.

I always do 18g in, hold lever down for 10 seconds, and release. It takes another 15-20 seconds for the lever to fully stop. Generally get about 34-36g out, catching a few but not all of the last drips. No double pulls or any fancy technique.

This is with an IMS 18g basket, no paper or puck screen. I may try one in the future, but I think they're too much mess.
@banshee_toys

Great job with your Mini Gaggia!

Are you satisfied with your shots on this machine? After many tries I found out that long preinfusion is not really good for taste (at least for medium or darker roasts). Currently I hold lever down for ca. 3 seconds (until water fills the group completely) and let go gently, but quickly. 14.5g in, ca. 30g out, total shot time 35-40sec.
I have also a PID set on 97degC which seems to be optimal (judging by taste).

I use puck screen which is really helpful in terms of channeling plus it prevents grounds from sucking them into to the boiler.