Microcimbali repair

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
coffee cat

#1: Post by coffee cat »

Hey guys, I just purchased a microcimbali from mid 1970. Started to take it apart and noticed that it is missing viton rubber one way valve disc for the group dispersion screen. I have never seen one before, is it just a disc ? anyone has dimensions for it? also if anyone knows the piston o'ring size ?
Greatly appreciate.
Jack

redbone

#2: Post by redbone replying to coffee cat »

When in doubt regarding vintage prosumer levers...http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... imbali.htm.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

coffee cat (original poster)

#3: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

Thanks Rob.

redbone

#4: Post by redbone replying to coffee cat »

The Microcimbali are hit and miss and more so the latter regarding boiler condition since they are aluminum. Seen a few excellent examples on F.B. lever groups. It all came down to quality of water that was used with chlorinated and/or ultra soft water wreaking havoc. Moderate mineral water sans chlorine / chloramine works best with aluminum boilers allowing for a protective mineral layer to form on surface both protecting boiler and preventing material leaching to water.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#5: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

What about reverse osmosis ?

redbone

#6: Post by redbone replying to coffee cat »

R.O. falls under ultra low mineral content with distilled being the lowest, both not recommended when making coffee beit espresso or pour over variety. R.O. water also not recommended for copper or brass boilers. Found off taste when R.O. was used with exposed brass on portafilters vs a S.S.portafilter, suspected some material leaching.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#7: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

What are using,Rob?

redbone

#8: Post by redbone replying to coffee cat »

R.O. water with added high mineral spring water so I use less to achieve a TDS of 80-100 ppm. Not super scientific but easy and found gives best taste results.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#9: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

Interesting, every time I think I know it all, someone proves me wrong !
Thanks for the info.
P.S. made a disc valve out of 1mm. rubber and managed to pull a shot. Pleasantly surprised.!

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

Suggest using food grade silicone sheet as found for use with baking pans. Rubber can be ambiguous and may not meet food grade. Recently made heating element seals for a Radaelli Cafomattic lever machine punching holes with a metal hollow hole punch for greater precision vs hand trimming.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549