Measure your portafilter please?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
miab

#1: Post by miab »

I haven't found or seen an online reference for different portafilter measurements. If one could buy on measurements alone it would save trying to match a vintage machines needs without buying all the different brands to see which fits best. I wanted to avoid grinding to make one fit.

I am restoring and older Italcrem (spanish Gaggia). I want to buy new portafilters but I can't seem to figure which would fit or match the one I have. Assuming the one I have is original to the machine which I highly doubt because the portafilter looked to good shape to match but it fits. I bought some old SIMONELLI (i think) portafilters but they don't fit.

What I am looking for:
58mm basket fits it,
outside to outside ears is 78mm,
ears sit at 1pm and 7pm as opposed to 2pm and 8pm I see on most,
ears are 4.75mm to 6mm along length of 26mm,
'original' is on the right in the picture

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

78.9mm across the lugs. Lugs at 1300 & 1900. lug length 28.8mm. Inside diameter 60.8mm. This set of measurements is a standard full sized Gaggia portafilter.

Top line, far right hand column, down arrows will open up the what else is identical fit wise box. http://www.cafeparts.com/Products/Porta ... rtafilters

Advertisement
miab (original poster)

#3: Post by miab (original poster) »

Thanks Rich

That is real close. Can you please measure the ears min and maximum thickness? I can adjust a little with the rubber gasket thickness if it is close to get the 6 o'clock position with portafilter.

Thanks for the link. In each portafilter it gives a wings measurement. Is that the maximum depth of the wing or width out from circumference of the portafilter?

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

The lugs are 6.4mm at the thick end and 4.2mm. Keep in mind these are far from precision machined items. These numbers are from a 56 year old filter holder. On a new one the cross lug dimension is 77.9mm. The 7mm notation in the listing is the nominal max lug thickness. There is 0.3lb difference in weight between the old and new and the old one is the heavier one. Either one fits. There are several different versions of these and you have to find the style you like

You can select search up at the top of the page and use the site google search box and search Gaggia portafilter and pickup more info.

zeb

#5: Post by zeb »

You should have a look on the French forum, we have a database with a few measurements :
http://espresso.cultureforum.net/t7307- ... te-filtres

pootoogoo

#6: Post by pootoogoo »

Because of the automatic forum correction from "e'xpresso" to "espresso", the above link won't work. :wink:
Here is the shorten link that works: https://goo.gl/U5ZBXI

pootoogoo

#7: Post by pootoogoo »

Did you find something interesting there ?

Advertisement
miab (original poster)

#8: Post by miab (original poster) »

Thanks Pascal and Sebastien
I knew the Brasilia was close but wings a little thin but the bezzera looks closer. The only problem I see is 'B a' . I can find many 45degree but I need like 30 degree. None of the websites have this measurement.

Rich , Funny how all the websites mention 7mm as maximum lug thickness but you measured 6.4. That might actually work with a thinner gasket. Would you say the lugs are 45degree from straight ahead or or closer to 30 degree?

boost

#9: Post by boost »

I had similar problem trying to find portafilter thats narrower than 79mm. It does seems like Gaggia portafilter is one of the narrower one out there like Rich is saying. And if I have to guess maybe Spanish Gaggia which is closely related to Italcrem/Visacrem.
I ended up trimming an Astoria/CMA since I have an extra one and the measurements on those actually differs by at least 0.5mm from what I have found on the web.

miab (original poster)

#10: Post by miab (original poster) »

Yes the Astoria looks to be a good fit. Do you remember how wide the Astoria was before you trimmed it down? Does the Astoria ears work at 45deg from straight or would you say (hopefully) less . I need about 1pm on the clock.