Major Gaggia Stuff-up? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DJF (original poster)

#11: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Just to add to the knowledge base, the early ones like mine only have two chrome fixing screws to each side panel instead of the later four per side.

Here's another one.. You can just see the two side panel screws and the sight glass window is slightly narrower.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

DJF (original poster)

#12: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Anyway, here he is almost finished in all his majestic grandeur. When resto is complete I'll post a pic in the lever gallery.

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc »

There is some detailed info hiding on this site: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/gagg ... en.109856/ Registration required to be able to pull up most pix.

DJF (original poster)

#14: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Thanks! Cool sight and I already found something I didn't know I'm missing. That little metal ball that goes in the fill valve. Still seems to work okay though I'd like to know where it goes. And now I need to learn German.

OldNuc

#15: Post by OldNuc »

The ball is probably a back flow preventer check ball. No idea of its exact location though.

DJF (original poster)

#16: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Turns out it sits between the end of the valve shaft and the chrome fill lever.

OldNuc

#17: Post by OldNuc »

Well, it seems like it would be prone to fall out of there rather easily.

jmc

#18: Post by jmc »

The lever is at it's most extended in the photo and the ball is sits in grooves / hollows so it can't fall out. It is inserted through the body of the valve while assembling.
John

Paul_Pratt

#19: Post by Paul_Pratt »

I wonder if their is a float that goes in the glass? Just a crazy idea. Haha would have to quite long and stick out above the water around 2 inches.

OldNuc

#20: Post by OldNuc »

Might be a float with a thin SS wire out the bottom with a small colored bead on the bottom end of the wire so when the little bead is at the full mark on the visible sight glass the actual level is at the true MAX level. Would be easy to construct such a float.