A look inside the Faema Mercurio

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kitt

#1: Post by kitt »

There's not many pics of the early model Faema levers on here, so i thought i'd post these latest pics.Its not gonna be a restoration thread, but rather just to show some internal pics, although any questions are more than welcome.Its a 1st gen Faema Mercurio, made in France.Later 2nd and 3rd gen Mercurio came out with different groups.The Mercurio was part of Faemas 'planetary series' Nettuno, Mercurio, Marte, Urania etc.
First of all - some pics from the teardown;
View from the top, showing vertical boiler, only 2 snapped bolts :D

Curved group and pressure gauge.The group on these is quite complex with a saturated group with water above the piston, when you raise the piston the water is forced back into the boiler and fresh boiler water enters below the piston

Old mercury pressurestat

Boiler overpressure valve

On the left is the hot water tap, extra fitting is for gas pressure regulator, on the right manual boiler fill

Dead element, new custom one being made

And some progress pics so far

Very little available in the way of parts for these, custom made element, lots of custom made seals, custom made sight glass at 210mm long!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

This is a real treat, Mike. Thanks for posting it!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Seacoffee

#3: Post by Seacoffee »

Hi Mike,

I have a mercurio coming so maybe we any help you can give is most welcome.

Cheers

John

Paul_Pratt

#4: Post by Paul_Pratt »

This after the Concorso...wow. It looks so simple and elegant but I bet the group will give you a nice treasure hunt.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by orphanespresso »

I am watching this one with great interest as I have one sitting in parts on the bench..not mine but a for hire job and it is driving me crazy...I much prefer working on my own stuff when it is this old and rare!

I got most of the valves rebuilt with no damage to the old and crusty parts. Got the asbestos string seals removed and figured out seals for these. NOW today I discovered that the piston has a sleeve :( needing a flange socket to be made since not only is there a sleeve but I know there is a seal or two in there that needs replacing. Very interesting group but it verges on frustrating.

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

Man, I wish they still made gauge dial faces the same way. Those are very clean, easy to read, and just beautiful to look at.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

kitt (original poster)

#7: Post by kitt (original poster) »

orphanespresso wrote:I am watching this one with great interest as I have one sitting in parts on the bench..not mine but a for hire job and it is driving me crazy...I much prefer working on my own stuff when it is this old and rare!

I got most of the valves rebuilt with no damage to the old and crusty parts. Got the asbestos string seals removed and figured out seals for these. NOW today I discovered that the piston has a sleeve :( needing a flange socket to be made since not only is there a sleeve but I know there is a seal or two in there that needs replacing. Very interesting group but it verges on frustrating.
Hi Doug, yes it seems way overcomplicated when you compare it to the later model Faema group, which can make such great shots! Here's a link, took me ages to find it.It shows the sleeve removed, Thanks to Greg for the original post

Inside a Faema first series lever group cylinder

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#8: Post by orphanespresso »

Thanks for the link. Much the same sleeve setup as the Faemina. I have yet to figure out what keeps the water from going out the top of the sleeve. The bottom seal is obvious but as to what seals the top I have yet to find out. Can't see a soak in penetrating oil but I am trying to think of how to get some citric in there...still can't get the valve off the rear of the group...real nervy, working on the early stuff.

kitt (original poster)

#9: Post by kitt (original poster) »

I don't think there's any seal in the top of the sleeve.Its a saturated group with a seal on the piston rod (same set-up as Faemina too) and also a o-ring seal between the 2 group sections

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#10: Post by orphanespresso »

You're kidding right...a seal at the piston rod? I did not even look up there :oops: . I am going to need better drugs for this project :D !!!