Longer pre-infusion on Flair 58? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JBroida (original poster)

#11: Post by JBroida (original poster) »

fliz wrote:I'll second Ryan's comment.

The beans and grind make a big difference wrt to preinfusion needs. When doing a shorter pull on a light roast, the only way I don't end up w/ something under extracted is if I grind finer and do a longer preinfusion (like 30 seconds). Even with this longer preinfusion at 2-3 bar, I'll only accumulate <1g in the cup before ramping up 8 bar.
Fair enough... aside from playing around with different beans, i've kept some of what i do pretty standard (i.e. same beans, same roaster, similar time range after roasting, same grinder, spreadsheet with settings and results) to get a better idea of the relationships of these things. Still pretty new to me. Far from an expert on any of this.

rajbangsa

#12: Post by rajbangsa »

I'd like to pre-infusion until all of the basket area came out evenly :lol:

#13: Post by JBroida (original poster) »

tried pre infusion at about 1-1.5 bars today... worked quite well... was about 20 seconds... solid shot

fliz

#14: Post by fliz »

JBroida wrote:Fair enough... aside from playing around with different beans, i've kept some of what i do pretty standard (i.e. same beans, same roaster, similar time range after roasting, same grinder, spreadsheet with settings and results) to get a better idea of the relationships of these things. Still pretty new to me. Far from an expert on any of this.
Are you roasting your own beans? what kind of beans are you using?

#15: Post by JBroida (original poster) replying to fliz »

For the last little bit, beans roasted locally by a coffee shop in my area that i like. This past week happen to have been beans from Chiapas Mexico and were medium-medium/light roast. I do have a couple of friends roasting beans too, and a few have encouraged me to go down that path, but free time is not in abundance in my life right now.

In general, they have some consistency in what i can buy from them, so it gives me time enough to get comfortable with one bean/roast profile. And i can talk to the guy roasting my beans when i am there.

vit

#16: Post by vit »

What are the differences between 0.5-1 bar preinfusion and 2-3 bar preinfusion ? Or constant pressure preinfusion vs. gradually increasing preinfusion pressure vs. using preinfusion with constant flow ?

fliz

#17: Post by fliz replying to vit »

you forgot decreasing pressure/blooming pre-infustion (quick ramp to 6 bar, slowly back down to 2 bar and then hold until a few drops and a ramp back to 6 (or anywhere between 6-9, depending on preferences)

vit

#18: Post by vit »

Number of ways how to do it is unlimited and surely I didn't mention all

But I wold like to hear some experiences about differences between some common options