Longer Bezzera Strega Handle?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
walt_in_hawaii

#1: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Is it just me? When switching back and forth between my L1 and the Strega, I have to make a big adjustment mentally because the Strega lever is somewhat shorter and the pull effort higher... the L1 is about right handle length and easier to pull/modulate. I've been thinking of making a slightly longer handle for my Strega; has anyone else done similar?

redbone

#2: Post by redbone replying to walt_in_hawaii »

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I have an extra long handle on mine and it makes a HUGE difference in ergonomics! I say do it.
LMWDP #435

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

walt_in_hawaii wrote:Is it just me? When switching back and forth between my L1 and the Strega, I have to make a big adjustment mentally because the Strega lever is somewhat shorter and the pull effort higher... the L1 is about right handle length and easier to pull/modulate. I've been thinking of making a slightly longer handle for my Strega; has anyone else done similar?
Yes, I've tried longer handles. However, the geometry of the Strega means a longer handle will tip the machine forwards unless your non-pulling hand is braced against the machine.

The Strega uses a chassis designed and used in numerous E61 machines so its geometry is not as 'spread out' as the Londinium. Bezzera put two 2kg weights at the back of the machine to help stabilize it. One could put in some more weight or tie the machine down - that's what I plan to do if/when I plumb the machine.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I have never had a problem with my machine tipping with the longer handle, and I don't use any special bracing technique. My machine is a tank model, so it could be the weight of the water in the tank is sufficient to counterbalance it. YMMV.
LMWDP #435

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I sometimes get tipping if the tank is too empty, even with the standard lever. The plumbed models probably have added weights.
Jim Schulman

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

You're right. The tank and 'Top' (convertible) models have two weights. The plumbed model has three weights - so over 13 lbs :shock: .
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#8: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

Wow, Bezzera really loves threadlockers. Just took off the handle and the plastic part on the end has never agreed with me as it gets slippery if your hands are wet. There is a big allen bolt inside holding the plastic to the metal handle... with a ton of threadlocker holding it to the metal piece. the metal part is surprisingly short, less than 5" long. I've ordered some short pieces of stainless off *bay to make a longer replacement handle. The thread appears to be metric, M16x1.5. Ordered the die. The stock handle, top plastic tip to pivot center, is about 10 1/2" on the strega. On the Londinium L1 its more like 12". So I should be looking to add roughly 2" to my handle, I think.

Does anyone else need a replacement? Might as well do a couple more if I'm making one for myself. You can have it for the cost of the metal and shipping. I think I will forget the plastic, though, and make a nice wooden handle to put on the end. You might be on your own for the wooden part, I bought a small piece of nice wood for myself but I'm unsure how many handles I can get out of it.

cafemolino

#9: Post by cafemolino »

walt_in_hawaii wrote:Wow, with a ton of threadlocker holding it to the metal piece.
gosh had the same hard work, might be Italian style, where they should lock it its not, where is no risk they lock like granite.

Bezzera sells guess since HOST 2017 wooden handles

ours are custom made wenge. guess similar size little thicker but very handy and comfortable.

walt_in_hawaii (original poster)

#10: Post by walt_in_hawaii (original poster) »

That is a nice handle shape! Is there any concensus of opinion on best handle taper? On the above picture the handle is thicker the farther out you go, which makes sense to me as it would make it naturally anti-slip (gets thicker as it slips, so exerts more pressure); but modern handles like, say the new L-R have handles that taper like a skinny diamond; outward initially, then inward as you get to the end. Does anyone have a definite preference for either?