Longer Bezzera Strega Handle? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cafemolino

Postby cafemolino » Dec 06, 2018, 3:14 pm

tried to measure the Handle

end diameter about 4cm / 1,6 inch?

length about 15,5cm / 6,2 inch?

from local dealer, sold out was told they where made by
http://www.heavytamper.com/

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Dec 06, 2018, 3:24 pm

Those dimensions should be about the Heavy Tamper portafilter handle dimensions. A 16mm to 12mm adapter and one of those PF handles and you have a longer lever.

Marcje

Postby Marcje » Dec 06, 2018, 6:45 pm

You could also consider removing the inner spring. The shots will then start around 8.5 bar (vs. ±12bar with the 2 springs), but the lever operation is also a lot easier then.

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Dec 06, 2018, 8:47 pm

Very interesting proposal, Marc, but I didn't want to change the profile of the Strega... my L1 uses about that same pressure and I don't need to duplicate it, so I'll leave in the 2nd spring for now, thanks :)
I think the best way to go at this point is to make a handle that looks like what Robert had made for his Faemina... sort of like the one currently on the Strega, but with a short straight section at the end, to accept a cylinder of wood over it. That way the handle will be guaranteed to be super strong in the event the gorillas in the neighborhood want espressos. The wood will be tapered slightly like in the pic from Cafemolino. I was going to just order a couple handles as Rich suggested (path of least resistance for us lazy guys), but they seem to be out of stock :( ...and, to tell the truth, i'm not sure if a 10mm or 12mm thread is strong enough to withstand the day in and day out use on the Strega, I think I'd be fearful of some bending/sagging of the lever although that's probably never going to happen. c'mon, I can't be the only guy on HB that stirs his coffee with a 10' metal spike used for killing vampires.... right?

*crickets chirping*