Long term thoughts on the Profitec Pro 800?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
3cordcreations

#1: Post by 3cordcreations »

Hello lever fans...

I don't see much discussion about the Pro 800 on here anymore. Are there members who still have theirs after a few years of ownership? If you sold it, why?
I've been considering an 800 pre-owned or a pre-owned Londinium L1, pre-R model. I know they have different designs. I'm curious about long term reliability, cost of maintenance. They both use vibe pumps and Gicar control units. PID costs more than a p-stat. They both look like maintenance would be easy enough and I could perform that at home.
I don't really like the water tank on the Pro 800 being so close against the end of the boiler.
The groups are relatively the same with 1 spring vs 2.

Thanks for any info or advice!
Cheers.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

sprint jinx

#2: Post by sprint jinx »

We have had our 800 installed for 3 years maybe, at a work place, so 3-5 users.
What has failed was the plastic hose connection at the base of the water tank, so we plumbed it into the RO system instead.
We have replaced the piston gaskets once. Nothing else has been wrong with it. Which makes me wonder about preventative maintenance, now.
It sits on, daily, from 8-5.

We have to manually empty the drain tray, but its not a big deal.

When it is dialed in, it tends to not need any adjustment.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
elbertfunkleberg

#3: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

sprint jinx wrote:When it is dialed in, it tends to not need any adjustment.
I think that's the key. With these spring lever machines, once you learn how to use them (and there's not a lot of learning) they just work. There's not a lot of buttons and dials and general adjustment to discuss - they naturally make the best of whatever coffee you use. They are also pretty simple machines so nothing much ever goes wrong that can't be easily diagnosed and repaired. Overall they're pretty boring. :)

3cordcreations (original poster)

#4: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) » replying to elbertfunkleberg »

Thanks. I was going to pm you but you must not have that selected. So you must enjoy your L1, what year is yours? Any big issues come up over the years?

Regards

#5: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

sprint jinx wrote:We have had our 800 installed for 3 years maybe, at a work place, so 3-5 users.
What has failed was the plastic hose connection at the base of the water tank, so we plumbed it into the RO system instead.
We have replaced the piston gaskets once. Nothing else has been wrong with it. Which makes me wonder about preventative maintenance, now.
It sits on, daily, from 8-5.

We have to manually empty the drain tray, but its not a big deal.

When it is dialed in, it tends to not need any adjustment.
Sounds like a neat place to work! Ind design with a nice coffee bar with free beans!
It's a tough choice between these two. Pretty different designs but owners of both are generally happy with theirs.

Thanks.

elbertfunkleberg

#6: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

3cordcreations wrote:Thanks. I was going to pm you but you must not have that selected. So you must enjoy your L1, what year is yours? Any big issues come up over the years?
I bought my L1 used from a friend a couple of years back and I believe it is an early one. When I first got it I removed the piston and saw that the original seals were still in good shape and well lubed. It has a reservoir that I used initially but after listening for a few weeks to the racket the vibe pump made I plumbed it in. Since then it hasn't missed a beat. A couple of minor things I'm not so fond of are the loud pressurestat and the lack of boiler insulation which adds to increased pressurestat activity. That said, I don't see myself buying another machine... ever.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

This thread is worth reading if you haven't already seen it. Scace thermofilter temperature measurements Profitec Pro 800
LMWDP 267

Aida Batlle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Batlle
mathof

#8: Post by mathof »

elbertfunkleberg wrote:I bought my L1 used from a friend a couple of years back and I believe it is an early one. When I first got it I removed the piston and saw that the original seals were still in good shape and well lubed. It has a reservoir that I used initially but after listening for a few weeks to the racket the vibe pump made I plumbed it in. Since then it hasn't missed a beat. A couple of minor things I'm not so fond of are the loud pressurestat and the lack of boiler insulation which adds to increased pressurestat activity. That said, I don't see myself buying another machine... ever.
You can upgrade the pressurestat to the one Reiss now sells online. It is much quieter and has a tighter pressure band.

#9: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:This thread is worth reading if you haven't already seen it. Scace thermofilter temperature measurements Profitec Pro 800
I did read that. He concludes it runs hot but not all owners have experienced this. I also don't plan on leaving a machine on all day. What machine are you enjoying?
Thanks John.

#10: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

mathof wrote:You can upgrade the pressurestat to the one Reiss now sells online. It is much quieter and has a tighter pressure band.
This one is different than what is on the 2012-2016 L1's?

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/par ... order=DESC