Long term thoughts on the Profitec Pro 800? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by pizzaman383 »

I had an E61 with a pstat and now have a lever with a PID. I love the silence.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

elbertfunkleberg

#22: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

If you are stateside then try this one: https://www.wholelattelove.com/products ... -110v-60hz . You need to be careful about your choice to match/exceed the run&rest times specification of the original and this was the only suitable one I could find. It worked well (while the machine was not plumbed in) but it was still noisy and not a huge improvement on the original. I also made various attempts at dampening it but to little avail. One thing you don't want to do is wrap it and risk it overheating. Once I got it plumbed in it was a whole different ball game. Just the pressure-stat and the solenoid valve to listen to now. I can live with that. Now I only have to worry about the kitchen flooding. :D

Advertisement
LObin

#23: Post by LObin replying to elbertfunkleberg »

The Ulka EP5/EX5 pumps are widely used in the business. They are reliable, have a good average flow at 9 bar pressure and are NOISY. The E4 has a total different sound. More... peaceful. Not the ideal flow for a pump fed group, therefore a bit slower to fill the boiler but it's not a problem with the L1.

If Reiss decided to go with the EP4T pump (at least for the 220v machines) it's probably because it's a better pump than the EP4 I put in mine.

He has the tendency to put the best available parts in his machines... :)

However, the EP4 is rated 2:1 duty, can deliver up to 22 bars (only need about 2 bars on the Londinium 1), is quiter and can be add for about half the price of the EP4T.
LMWDP #592

elbertfunkleberg

#24: Post by elbertfunkleberg replying to LObin »

Good information. So considering the guy is in the US, which pump and from where would you suggest? Personally I've found that it's not so easy to get the right pump @120v.

LObin

#25: Post by LObin »

I posted a link yesterday for a 120v EP4 on Ebay. Cerini also have the EAX4. Duty cycle is a bit lower compare to the 220v but I doubt it would be a problem.
LMWDP #592

grind727

#26: Post by grind727 »

Thank you Elbert, Jonathan, and Matt. Apologies to Roger for hijacking the thread.

The conversation about pumps seems to roughly mirror my previous web searches. I had seen the pumps on the Londinium website, but the model names are not listed (although you can make out the name of 220v pump from the picture). I was also concerned about how well they and others I found online would match the existing pumps specifications. I'm not an engineer so whatever is happening inside those little boxes is like dark magic to me. I didn't have a clue about things like run/rest times, duty (?), or what any of the cryptic electrical cuneiforms associated with either mean, so I appreciate the thoughts on how to match up the right pump for a 120v machine.

But, if I understand correctly, it sounds like I just need to plump it in. :)
LMWDP #717

LObin

#27: Post by LObin replying to grind727 »

Here's a print screen of the comments for the EAX4 on the web page of Cerini. I believe it's the pump you're looking for...

I would give them a call!
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#28: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

LObin wrote:Here's a print screen of the comments for the EAX4 on the web page of Cerini. I believe it's the pump you're looking for...

I would give them a call!

Really!!!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

LObin

#29: Post by LObin »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: Really!!!
Oups...
Fixed.

Thanks!
LMWDP #592

3cordcreations (original poster)

#30: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

Since this is about pumps now, this one is on sale from 1st Line but it's the 52w model. I'm assuming the lower watt the lower the noise level? They have a 41w model also and I think the brass ends is the way to go.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/ulka-vibra ... ss-output/
A three cord strand is not easily broken...