Long term thoughts on the Profitec Pro 800? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#11: Post by mathof »

3cordcreations wrote:This one is different than what is on the 2012-2016 L1's?

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/par ... order=DESC
Yes. Writing from memory, during the lifetime of the pre-R L1, Reiss upgraded the pressurestat from an original that was rated at 20 amps and was from a different manufacturer. He made the new one available in his store and recommended the upgrade, which I carried out on mine. I can be more precise when I'm home tomorrow, where I have saved the original and am using the upgraded one.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

3cordcreations wrote: What machine are you enjoying? Thanks John.
Today?? My Speedster.
LMWDP 267

pcdawson

#13: Post by pcdawson »

I've had mine for three years now. Apart from replacing the piston seals I had a slight rubbing issue with the lever mechanism which was easily fixed . It has been reliable and has made amazing espresso every morning and evening. I even had the side panels powder coated red (see pic in lever gallery if interested). I would definitely purchase again.

blaxquid

#14: Post by blaxquid »

Had my 800 for a year. I'd echo the opinions by saying that the only reason not to buy one would be that's it's indeed pretty boring: it will make good espresso day after day without much tinkering and/or maintenance. I thought about replacing it with a LM GS3 last week but decided against it after understanding its pressure profiling limitations - the lever wins once again. Don't hesitate.

mathof

#15: Post by mathof »

mathof wrote:Yes. Writing from memory, during the lifetime of the pre-R L1, Reiss upgraded the pressurestat from an original that was rated at 20 amps and was from a different manufacturer. He made the new one available in his store and recommended the upgrade, which I carried out on mine. I can be more precise when I'm home tomorrow, where I have saved the original and am using the upgraded one.
Here is a picture or the original pressurestat on my 2014 L1:

And this is the upgraded one:

As you can see, I was mistaken to say they were from different manufacturers.

LObin

#16: Post by LObin »

The old one is a Sirai 20 amp. The new one is the more robust Sirai p302/6 30 amp.

I'm not certain the 30 amp is quieter. I literally just switched my old 20 amp to a new 30 amp and I'm noticing it more. It could also be my ears that are not used to the different sound yet.

No matter what, a 30 amp pstat in a machine is a good thing. Unless you have your machine in your bedroom, the clicking sound is not an annoyance.

I also changed the old pump (I had the first model in mine) for a new Ulka E4 and it's uber quiet. It runs a few seconds longer as the flow is a but lower but the sound is just... peaceful.

If you can find an old Londinium 1, no matter version, go gor it! They are beautiful performers and you'll have great support from Reiss when you need it. Although these machines don't often need support...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

grind727

#17: Post by grind727 »

LObin wrote:The old one is a Sirai 20 amp. The new one is the more robust Sirai p302/6 30 amp.
I also changed the old pump (I had the first model in mine) for a new Ulka E4 and it's uber quiet. It runs a few seconds longer as the flow is a but lower but the sound is just... peaceful.
Cheers!
Where did you get it? I did a quick search for E4s but there's a lot of things that come up. Is it the EX4? My one complaint about the Londinium, aside from it not fetching me martinis on demand, is that the pump makes a racket. I may plumb it in but that's a ways off, so swapping out the pump sounds good if it makes that much of a difference.
LMWDP #717

LObin

#18: Post by LObin replying to grind727 »

My Londinium is 220v and came with the old pink Phoenix pump. It was noisy. I purchased my Ulka Ep4 on eBay and it is noticeably quiter. The E4 pumps are rated at 58db vs 64.5db for the E5s. Nonetheless, I ordered mine after reading comments on it's quietness and I have to say, it's the "best sounding" Ulka I've heard! :D

Cerini has a EAX4 120v (found it on eBay too) but I can't find the exact specs. Duty is 1min/1.5min and I think the A is for the 105 insulation class.

I also found this which says EAP4 in the listing but the picture shows a 120v EP4 pump.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323979942648
LMWDP #592

elbertfunkleberg

#19: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

mathof wrote:You can upgrade the pressurestat to the one Reiss now sells online. It is much quieter and has a tighter pressure band.
Thanks. I'm guessing it's going to click more often but just not as loud. Swings and roundabouts. :)

With the pressure stat I'm complaining because there's not a lot else to complain about. The ins and outs of espresso machines kept me engaged for many years but now I just want good coffee. It's sorta like I have been on a long quest and finally found nirvana. I would not have been persuaded to go any other route than I did, but the destination is definitely spring lever machines. For anyone who is into coffee just for the coffee I would suggest they skip the years of trial and error and go with the lever. Any of the Bosco group based machines will work well but i assume there are other good choices too. I would not be interested in any machine that promises constant pressure and temperature because that's a recipe for crappy espresso.

mathof

#20: Post by mathof »

grind727 wrote:Where did you get it? I did a quick search for E4s but there's a lot of things that come up. Is it the EX4? My one complaint about the Londinium, aside from it not fetching me martinis on demand, is that the pump makes a racket. I may plumb it in but that's a ways off, so swapping out the pump sounds good if it makes that much of a difference.
The Londinium online store lists this:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/par ... &order=ASC

And this:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/par ... &order=ASC