The Londinium R24

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drH

#1: Post by drH »

I saw this posted to Facebook this morning. It looks like the Londinium R got a full electronics update with a much quieter rotary pump.
Maybe it sounds like a small thing but it makes the Londinium a lot more accommodating in the home, and it's nice to see Reiss continually making improvements.

lancealot

#2: Post by lancealot »

Thanks for posting. This is awesome.
Price when up a smidge hu? I think the R was around $3K, this one is around $3.5K. That is a little bit of a bump.
@1:43 & 1:51, is that the sound of the pstat?

Abecker

#3: Post by Abecker »

I had talked to Reiss about it earlier today, he mentioned the following things about it:
  • The new pump is self-priming
  • The machine is now all 24VDC and this allows us to control the pump electronically in the future if we wish
  • The wireless dongle has also been eliminated by placing the radio transmitter directly on the electronics board
  • It has additional features on the app like a timer and a low water alarm

wachuko

#4: Post by wachuko »

lancealot wrote:Thanks for posting.
@1:43 & 1:51, is that the sound of the pstat?
1:09, 1:17, 1:43, 1:51 every time you see the red/orange light come on and as soon as it goes off.

Here is video of mine. FYI, sounds louder in video than in the flesh...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

RyanP

#5: Post by RyanP »

Abecker wrote: [*]The machine is now all 24VDC and this allows us to control the pump electronically in the future if we wish

[/list]
Can somebody explain the significance of this?

drH (original poster)

#6: Post by drH (original poster) »

Reiss also mentioned that there will be a new machine released next week which is essentially a plumb-only machine that functions like the L1 but has the form-factor of the LR. This machine will be much cheaper and I believe will be called the L1 Compressa (not to be confused with the Compact coming out later this year).

wachuko

#7: Post by wachuko replying to drH »

All, but the LC, are now listed for sale in his website.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

RyanP

#8: Post by RyanP »

I guess this move has me scratching my head. He took a great machine that was well priced and split it into two essentially. One is a few hundred less, with less features and is only going to appeal to people who can and want to plumb in. The other bumps the price up $600 dollars into the $3,500 range for the benefit of what I can tell is basically a quieter pump. I'm just not understanding the decision. He had such a good thing going with the LR. Reiss does strike me as a perfectionist and maybe the R24 is his next step towards perfection, but it seems to me the price increase will drive more people away from a sale then the sound of the pump would, which I personally never thought was an issue in the first place. It's too bad he can't just offer the 24V internals as an upgrade path rather than making it the only option.
★ Helpful

michael_pl

#9: Post by michael_pl replying to RyanP »

I'm with you on this. Not that I own a lever yet - but his was on the list as a potential. Maybe the L Compact sometime next decade will be better suited to me. I thought the LR was a great seller and a reasonable price. Not that it's direct comparison was other pumped machines, but it was in the same bracket as the top tier e61 pump double boiler machines. Now at 3500+ it's well above all except the LMLM.

Don't think the compresso will appeal to many except a very small subset. The previous LR could be reservoir, plumbed in, digital pre infusion, etc. Not sure how much more the new R24 adds in actual operation.

Eklektik

#10: Post by Eklektik »

RyanP wrote:I guess this move has me scratching my head. He took a great machine that was well priced and split it into two essentially. One is a few hundred less, with less features and is only going to appeal to people who can and want to plumb in. The other bumps the price up $600 dollars into the $3,500 range for the benefit of what I can tell is basically a quieter pump. I'm just not understanding the decision. He had such a good thing going with the LR.
I'm one of these people.The LR seemed great and everyone was happy with it. I was justifying spending €3000 euro but now at €3700 and for quieter pump? No, thanks. And I'm not into the market for a LC as I want the PI digital controls and I cannot plumb it at all. Real bizarre choice for me. Now I'm back to looking at the Bianca most likely.