The Londinium R24 - Page 44

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
afruff23

#431: Post by afruff23 »

What are the differences in preinfusion between all the iterations of the R (not R24)?

I have opportunity to purchase a used R cheaply but am not sure how limited the preinfusion is. Make mostly milk drinks but would occasionally like to make light roast SO espresso.

Cuprajake

#432: Post by Cuprajake »

Two versions of the r

Both are rotary pump one comes with a pre infusion model with a wireless dongle. So you can alter it.

You can buy an upgrade kit from londinuim to make it a lr24 the full kit is £700 ish

afruff23

#433: Post by afruff23 »

if I get the version without the digital preinfusion/wireless modules, then how do O adjust the preinfusion pressure and duration?

From my limited research, the preinfusion for early model R machinds are set to 3 bars (is thos adjustable in anyway without buying the upgrade kit?). I'm assuming duration of preinfusion is determined by pushing the lever down and allowing it to come up a bit but keeping it in place before releasing it.

Cuprajake

#434: Post by Cuprajake »

If it's non pre infusion the. It will be a matter switch that adjust with a screw driver but 2-3 bar is fine

Infusion will depend on how fine you grind

You pull the lever down the pump will fill the chamber to 3 bar and hold it there, you will hear the pump pulse duh duh duh

I'm not sure if the module is still for sale would have to check with londinuim

poison

#435: Post by poison »

My Londinium is just over 1 year old. I want to put the no-grease seals on, do I really need to do the sleeve seals as well? Seems like I should be able to wait a couple years on those.

balliet

#436: Post by balliet »

From my experience I would say that you should change the sleeve seals if you have the tool to pull the sleeve. I made my own tool . However I believe that the no grease seals will work just fine without changing the sleeve seals.
Londinium R, Bezzera BZ10, Ceado 37S, Breville Grinder, Technivoram

PPapa

#437: Post by PPapa »

poison wrote:My Londinium is just over 1 year old. I want to put the no-grease seals on, do I really need to do the sleeve seals as well? Seems like I should be able to wait a couple years on those.
I wouldn't bother but the current set comes with sleeve seals. It's just not easy to pull the sleeve out.

Mine are finally due at 5.5years, with machine being turned on between 7am and 1-2pm. There's occasional pump bark and I've seen few drops of water at the top of the group, so got myself an extractor tool and hoping to replace them this weekend.

PPapa

#438: Post by PPapa »

So I've pulled the group sleeve and the old seals were looking a bit tired - some flaking, flattened and a bit stiff.

The group sleeve extractor tool is highly recommended - I tried to pull the sleeve before and it felt near impossible. With the tool, I could rotate the spanner with a single finger!

The sleeve as it came out - hasn't been cleaned for 5.5yrs.

... and after the clean:

... and obligatory "look at this beauty" picture:

Given you don't need it often, I'd be happy to share mine for paid return (insured) postage within UK/EU and small donation to HB.