The Londinium R24 - Page 41

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
retireddude

#401: Post by retireddude »

rapha wrote:Anyone received this new drip tray yet? I was wondering why there is a need for a "nipple" in front of the machine, how was this dealt with with older Londinium machines that didn't have it? Why can't the liquid go directly in the drip tray behind the front planel? It would be a more elegant solution to me if it was hidden but I'm not aware of the technical necessities.
I received mine. I can't speak to your question about older machines or design decisions, but this is a simple solution that solves the "tiny puddle of water" issue.

harris

#402: Post by harris »

When I ordered in Nov '21 I believed that the nipple was gone due to the fact it wasn't on any photo on their website - I wrongly assumed the "complaints" were on older machines. I'm really enjoying my R24 and looking forward to the Londiniums on the drawing board, I will be a purchaser. That said, given Reiss' straight shooting nature I was disappointed by not receiving what the photo depicted.

rapha

#403: Post by rapha »

Thanks for the picture! It looks more like a bullet than an nipple now but it still looks out of place to me. Virtually every E61 machines out there have something similar though :

No doubt that's a small matter when the machine can produce excellent coffee but it bothers me to know that it would look so much better (and be slightly easier to clean) if it was hidden behind the front panel (like the linea mini or gs3 or eagle one prima).

retireddude

#404: Post by retireddude »

rapha wrote:Thanks for the picture! It looks more like a bullet than an nipple now but it still looks out of place to me. Virtually every E61 machines out there have something similar though.

No doubt that's a small matter when the machine can produce excellent coffee but it bothers me to know that it would look so much better (and be slightly easier to clean) if it was hidden behind the front panel (like the linea mini or gs3 or eagle one prima).
No prob! I agree that all things equal it would look visually cleaner without it. But, honestly, apart from the time I took to inspect it initially, I never notice it. When I do think to look at it, as I did when my tray cover arrived, I think it looks nice, like a quality part that serves a purpose. In my opinion, it doesn't cheapen the look, or seem jarringly out of place, but that's obvious very subjective.

purekhaos

#405: Post by purekhaos »

How is everyone's experience with swapping between milk and pulling multiple shots? Daily I am making 2 milk drinks at a time, at a maximum I am making 4 milk drinks in succession. Currently using a single boiler machine and desperately need an upgrade. Was sold on the ECM Synchronika, but the R24 is calling to me.

Also, how do you got about managing temperature in a lever machine? From what I have read, you don't. Why isn't this a larger drawback, or a problem when working with different roast profiles?

Thanks!

CoffeeMac

#406: Post by CoffeeMac »

No problem pulling shot and steaming milk at same time but I usually wait until I finish the shot to start dealing with milk.

Londinium is not like a pump-driven SBDU system - no need to temperature surf ever. I usually only make 2 consecutive drinks at a time, but am sure I could pull shots continuously for a group without brew temp or steam pressure concerns.

Short version: don't worry about precise temperature. Trust your taste buds.

Long version:

In general brew temperature is controlled by preinfusion pressure in the range of 1.5 bar - 6 bar. Lower pressure equates to lower temperature. But it's more complex than that.

I too was curious about the Londinium's temperature control after I bought my Compressa. I went as far as getting a cheap basket, drilling a hole in it, and inserting a thermocouple. I packed the basket with coffee and pulled a number of shots at different PI pressures as I normally would, but with the thermocouple embedded in the coffee puck. The resulting charts did generally show increasing temperature with increasing PI pressure. But the relationship wasn't necessarily linear or simple.

There looks to be a complex relationship between the brew temp and the PI pressure based on the volume and speed of water entering the chamber above the puck when the lever is pulled down (a function of PI pressure), and the declining temperature and pressure after the lever is released. Not to mention an even more complex relationship between brew temp and resulting extraction.

I'm sure there is a similar complex situation in the brew chamber of a pump machine but we tend to become mesmerized the the perceived precision of the temperature display on many machines. Those looking to replicate espresso recipes (dose, temp) developed on a pump-driven machine will quickly get frustrated. It just won't work. I would argue that it is tough to replicate a recipe on a pump machine different from the one used to make the recipe. So the brew notes on the coffee bag won't be of much use (if they ever were).

The approach I took was to accept that, at least on a Londinium, a recipe consists of: grind, dose, PI pressure, brew ratio. Those are the variables you play with. I've found that's all I need to get the most out of any style of roast or type of bean. I've learned to trust my taste and to not stress out about not seeing the exact "brew temp" to 4 significant digits on a screen or display. Too sour? Then you are under-extracting. If brew time is in range then increase PI pressure. Still too sour? Increase brew ratio. If brew time is too fast, grind finer, increase dose or use restrictive basket like E&B superfine. Do opposite to counter over-extraction if too bitter.

In the 6 months or so since I got my Compressa I've tried a broader variety of beans than the prior 10+ years combined. From the lightest roast to the darkest; washed, natural and advanced fermentation. Using the approach above I can usually dial in a new bean within 2 shots or so; even the first shot on the Compressa has been drinkable (I've yet to toss one in sink). Once dialed in I can say I've never had better espresso anywhere (depending on bean of course).

My approach with a new bean:

Light roast? 5 bar PI, 19g dose, E&B superfine basket, fine grind (4 on MAX), 38g out is my starting point.

Medium roast? 4 bar PI, 18g dose, standard IMS precision basket, medium grind (6 on MAX), 36g out.

Dark roast? 2 bar PI, 18g dose, standard IMS precision basker, medium grind (6 on MAX), 27g out.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

kidloco

#407: Post by kidloco »

I'll talk about temperature. LR24 is set in a way that you control everything by PI pressure. For example, my light roasts are pulled with 5-6 PI pressure and that also gives hotter water, medium roasts around 3.5-4.5, darker the roast lighter the PI... I have no need to know the exact temperature, to be honest. LR24 is the machine of comfort.

retireddude

#408: Post by retireddude »

CoffeeMac wrote:Short version: don't worry about precise temperature. Trust your taste buds.

The approach I took was to accept that, at least on a Londinium, a recipe consists of: grind, dose, PI pressure, brew ratio. Those are the variables you play with.
Great answer. The exact relationship between PI pressure and brew temp is a bit of a head scratcher, but the proof is in the cup. I think you boiled down the way to think about it perfectly.

samsonpvr

#409: Post by samsonpvr »

I'm setting up a new r24 and cannot figure how to get the steam and water knobs to engage. They are loose and move freely, but will not return to an off position. Water and steam exit from both wands when the machine starts to heat up.

Edit: water and steam are no longer coming from the wands. However, the knobs still do not engage in any position.

harris

#410: Post by harris »

silly question; you are moving them up and down and not turning them, correct?