The Londinium R24 - Page 37

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
emradguy
Supporter ❤

#361: Post by emradguy »

Idfixe wrote:How do you ensure you can replicate same pressure profile shot to shot with this technique and machine?
His pressure gauge certainly helps, and I would guess it's very easy for him to be consistent. You could ask the same question to anyone who has installed a flow control on top of their E61 group. I was an early adopter, installing one on my Duetto as soon as Chris' started selling them, and found it extremely difficult to move that thing to the exact right spot at the same time every shot. Tiny movements yielded large changes in group pressure on the gauge.

CoffeeMac

#362: Post by CoffeeMac »

emradguy wrote: First, I'm wondering if anyone else besides me has not been able to use a Matrix screen with their Compressa. Mine literally just pops right off as soon as I lower the lever.
I've got the Matrix installed now; using stock Londinium gasket. No issues with it popping off. I presume you seat it with a basketless portafilter first, then lock it in with portafilter with basket installed? FYI: No noticeable difference to me in extraction between it and the IMS/Londinium 35U. I think Matrix might have more value to pump machines with 3-way valve.
emradguy wrote: Have you experimented with grinding finer and using high resistance baskets (like the E&B superfine), or addition of puck screens?
I'm using the E&B 18g superfine basket for light roasts, including the Luna. I always grind beans straight from freezer, which seems to have the effect of a slightly finer setting. For these Luna beans, I have my Monolith Connical set at 0.5 - near its finest setting. Not sure I could go much finer, at least until my Max arrives in April :D . Reiss has advised 15 sec to first drop for light roasts, and I'm pretty close (13 sec). Maybe I'll take it down to 0 next time. PI pressure at 5 bar for these shots. In any event, I'm getting amazing results with the Luna beans, but don't have enough time using the lever-retard method to understand its impact.
emradguy wrote: I am intrigued by the group pressure gauge, Tom. I might have missed it but, where did you source it?
I made it, with inspiration (and lever group cap source) from @Madman13.

Lever group cap and PTFE washer from espressoparts.com, stainless gauge from Wika, 1/4 inch stainless tube and fittings from Amazon. Plus pipe cutter/deburrer, pipe bender, 1/8 NPT tap from various sources. Fun little project; I've got an even cooler one in the works 8)
LMWDP #706

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Idfixe

#363: Post by Idfixe »

This is what I figured. I was wondering if it was more precice than the system you mention.
Thanks

Kevintyang

#364: Post by Kevintyang »

Question, what is the actual warm up time for lr24? Can lr24 pull shot at 30 minute warm time?

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#365: Post by emradguy »

Compressa can. Can't speak for LR24, since I don't own one. You can accelerate the warm up a little by flushing the group a couple of times. Putting the machine on a smart plug or other timer would allow you to turn it on (manually or automatically) in advance so it can warm up.

eltakeiteasy

#366: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Great looking shot. Luna Bermudez is my second favorite coffee from Manhatten (my first is Letty) but I have found that I prefer it to be pulled at 6-bar 1:1 it taste amazing. It's so good I bought 20 bags ;)

I also found that having a decently fine grind brings out a ton of the peach and blueberry notes that linger on the tongue! Super good. :P
CoffeeMac wrote:OK, I tried your technique of holding back the lever to slowly ramp up the pressure - it works and is kind of fun/interesting! It's hard to say what the impact is, as I've not done any back-to-back comparisons. What are you looking for when you hold the lever back? What difference does it make?

Here is this morning's shot of Luna Bermudez (1:2 brew ratio, 5 bar PI, lever held back after release) - one of the best shots I've ever pulled, but I find I'm always saying that with this bean:

video
LMWDP #672.

CoffeeMac

#367: Post by CoffeeMac »

eltakeiteasy wrote:Great looking shot. Luna Bermudez is my second favorite coffee from Manhatten (my first is Letty) but I have found that I prefer it to be pulled at 6-bar 1:1 it taste amazing. It's so good I bought 20 bags ;)

I also found that having a decently fine grind brings out a ton of the peach and blueberry notes that linger on the tongue! Super good. :P
OK; will go to "0" on my MC, 6 bar PI and try a 1:1 ratio next time! I can't imagine it getting better though :shock:
LMWDP #706

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
eltakeiteasy

#368: Post by eltakeiteasy » replying to CoffeeMac »

It's wild how good this is. If you like this Letty is (arguably) even better :shock:
LMWDP #672.

CoffeeMac

#369: Post by CoffeeMac »

OMG...I thought Letty had been sold out...this is going to get expensive...effective price to me in California is about $4 per 18g shot ... also don't like the carbon footprint, but now AI really want to try Letty
LMWDP #706

eltakeiteasy

#370: Post by eltakeiteasy » replying to CoffeeMac »

It's back in stock I was just chatting with Ben this morning. Also, I am in San Diego and have bought extra and split it up with a few friends your way if you are interested send me a PM and we can do another group buy to save on shipping/ carbon footprint. I pull a 21g shot for what it's worth. I think 21g really brings out more of the notes.
LMWDP #672.