Londinium R - my ownership thread - Page 9

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wachuko (original poster)

#81: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Someone asked me for a quick video on how the lever worked... figured I would post it here...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Eklektik

#82: Post by Eklektik »

Thank you for documenting this, very interesting and informative!
I wanted to ask about the Anti-Vacuum Valve. Is this a requirement as a day 1 mod? It looks like it but what is the consensus and is there an option to install it without drilling a whole in the machine? I don't plan on plumping it so there won't be any waste holes attached to the tray.

Abecker

#83: Post by Abecker replying to Eklektik »

I can't speak to day 1 mod, but if you go to the bottom of page 7 I had a similar question and there is a option to route it to the water tank.

#84: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Eklektik wrote:Thank you for documenting this, very interesting and informative!
I wanted to ask about the Anti-Vacuum Valve. Is this a requirement as a day 1 mod? It looks like it but what is the consensus and is there an option to install it without drilling a whole in the machine? I don't plan on plumping it so there won't be any waste holes attached to the tray.
Not a must do modification....many owners that leave it with the stock valve. That is fine as well.

If you want to do it and do not have the drain kit or do not want to drill a hole....you can just route to the tank by adding a tee to the hose there. Easy to do.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

jevenator

#85: Post by jevenator »

Wachuko,

Thanks for documenting your experience. It's been a joy to read through. It makes me consider a LR over a DE1+ because of the long wait time for the DE1's right now.

#86: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to jevenator »

So many choices... one can go crazy trying to decide :D Best of luck on the search and making a decision. Post back with photos of whatever you end up with.

On other news, just a quick update... the holder for the steam wand arrived... now installed.

I also received the floating valve and the ACAIA scale... but decided to hold off on making those modifications.

On the floating valve, I still want to look at what it would take to completely remove the tank while still keeping pre-infusion functionality with the pump and having it directly plumbed to water line with a pressure regulator. Basically, connecting it to the setup that I have the Rocket connected to. I really want to get rid of the tank, but still have it work as if it had one... But I do not have the time now to play with that...

On the insert to the tray for the scale. I am concern with any water damage (I already installed the rubber plug on the scale charging port)... but also the distance to the cup... already I am using a small stainless steel bowl to place on the scale and then the cup there. With everything inserted the cup then gets further apart from the portafilter... So, that one is off for now. I will still order the spare tray grate, just in case.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Abecker

#87: Post by Abecker »

wachuko wrote:On the insert to the tray for the scale. I am concern with any water damage (I already installed the rubber plug on the scale charging port)... but also the distance to the cup... already I am using a small stainless steel bowl to place on the scale and then the cup there. With everything inserted the cup then gets further apart from the portafilter... So, that one is off for now. I will still order the spare tray grate, just in case.
For the float valve, are you thinking about doing something similar to Decent where the machine isn't directly plumbed in but it is set up to automatically refill the reservoir?

#88: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to Abecker »

This is what Brandon did: Plumbing in Londinium R (without losing adjustable pre-infusion)

He modified the tank (simple modification) to install the float.... so the machine still works from the tank and you do not have to worry about having to fill it when it goes low...

But, if possible, I want to do away with the tank... simply because of my laziness on having to clean it every so often... coffee grounds/dust finds its way into the tank.... I was so happy when I plumbed the Rocket... promised myself I would do the same with future machines. But was not counting on going with the LR at the time...

I hope that clarifies it. Or to quote one of my favorites series... Confused? You won't be, after this week's episode of...Soap.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

acg
Supporter ♡

#89: Post by acg »

Was it easy to replace the vacuum breaker BTW? What tools are needed and did you use the Londinium Loxeal thread sealant on the thread?

The IMS shower screen was sold out on Londinium site. I bought a similar one on Amazon. Will see how it goes.

wachuko wrote:So many choices... one can go crazy trying to decide :D Best of luck on the search and making a decision. Post back with photos of whatever you end up with.

On other news, just a quick update... the holder for the steam wand arrived... now installed.

I also received the floating valve and the ACAIA scale... but decided to hold off on making those modifications.

On the floating valve, I still want to look at what it would take to completely remove the tank while still keeping pre-infusion functionality with the pump and having it directly plumbed to water line with a pressure regulator. Basically, connecting it to the setup that I have the Rocket connected to. I really want to get rid of the tank, but still have it work as if it had one... But I do not have the time now to play with that...

On the insert to the tray for the scale. I am concern with any water damage (I already installed the rubber plug on the scale charging port)... but also the distance to the cup... already I am using a small stainless steel bowl to place on the scale and then the cup there. With everything inserted the cup then gets further apart from the portafilter... So, that one is off for now. I will still order the spare tray grate, just in case.

#90: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

acg wrote:Was it easy to replace the vacuum breaker BTW? What tools are needed and did you use the Londinium Loxeal thread sealant on the thread?

The IMS shower screen was sold out on Londinium site. I bought a similar one on Amazon. Will see how it goes.
Very easy to replace. No need to use sealer as it seals with the copper washer. Make sure you get a new copper washer with new valve.

As for tools, to remove the panels, I suggest the plastic trim removing tools. For removal of the valve you only need a deep socket, extension, and ratchet. I will check the correct size as I can't remember right now... I want to say 17mm, but I will validate and update this post.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654