Londinium R - my ownership thread - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wachuko (original poster)

#51: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Abecker wrote:How are you enjoying the machine now that you are a few weeks in? Any new thoughts for someone considering one?
Andy,

I have been enjoying great espresso with it since day one. I am now ordering new coffee beans and coffee beans that I have tried in the past and could not get right.... coffee like Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo, that I did not like when I first tried it... I now enjoy a lot.

I know I sound like a child with a new toy... but I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be able to taste notes of blueberry or hints of orange zest, or this and that... My frustration is gone! I am finally making and tasking stuff that I can compare with the write ups that I see from others in the forum... Frustration is gone, everything taste better, zero complexity (except for the dance that I do preparing the coffee puck :lol: ). I kick myself for not jumping on a spring lever machine sooner...

And I get it now... I had to go through the machines I had/have to appreciate the difference. Because I remember folks, when I got started, suggested getting a spring lever machine... and I just thought, nah, that is not for me... boy was I wrong. Even before buying this machine I was thinking of getting a double boiler pump machine, see thread. Very, very glad I took this route.

Because now I can discern the flavors and aroma more easily, I still find that I do not like anything fruity or floral so I will not be reordering any of those coffees... before, the only coffee that I got something like fruit out of it was Counter Culture La Golondrina because that was a cherry bomb!! No matter how you pull that coffee, the cherry is going to come out! Wife loved it, me?, not one bit mostly due to the acidity level. Thinking about it, knowing the wife loves it (so it will not go to waste), I should order another bag and try it with the LR... just to taste the difference with this machine and see if the acidity levels drop from what I remember.

Oh... milk drink preparation... I drink only straight shots of espresso... but folks at the KafaTek forum gave me a hard time when I told them that my wife would warm her home made almond milk in the microwave and then I would pull a shot in the cup.... needless to say, I started doing her milk in the LR... oh man... here, take a look...

So now I have MORE work... because my in-laws now want me to make them lattes with their 2% milk, wife asks me for her almond milk latte.... life was simpler when I was making the espresso just for me... I am joking, of course, I love it... even my son is enjoying espressos with me. The guy is hooked! Anyway, so easy for me to digress... so milk preparation with this machine is a breeze and quick!

And I love looking at it... what can I say? That is what got me to by the LR... its looks.

So yes, very happy with it... in fact, will be right back... I feel an espresso coming up.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#52: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

This is what I mean with the additional work... I went to make myself an espresso...

Son walks by... "Hey Dad, can you make me one with the orange coffee?" - he is talking about Caffe Lusso Costa Rica La Minita

Father-in-law hovers over... him I know will drink espresso at any time and as many times as I will make it for him... so I don't even ask... if he is walking over, he wants an espresso... He likes Lionshare and I have that already ready to go in single doses because of how much we like it... it is our go-to coffee bean now...

So now it takes me longer to make my espresso :lol: :lol: - I went for the blueberry - Caffe Lusso Rescue Freedom blend...

Just happy the wife was in another room...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#53: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Like some of the folks here... I can't leave stuff alone and have to modify it even if these are minor changes...

Changes planned for the LR:
  • La Marzocco GS/3 Steam Wand (thank you Brandon) - I got the parts from Espresso Parts (https://www.espressoparts.com/)
    • 1 - MZ_404-(MZ_404) La Marzocco GS3 Steam Wand
    • 1 - MZ_208-(MZ_208) La Marzocco Stainless Steel Steam Wand Tip
    • 1 - MZ_405-(MZ_405) La Marzocco SteamWand Heat Protector
    • 1 - W15295 - Steam Wand Anti-scorch Clip - 8 mm
  • Integrated Acaia Lunar scale in the tray (thank you Brandon) - got it from here - https://www.pantechnicondesign.com/prod ... unar-scale
  • Change air release valve (anti-vac valve) in the boiler for one that has a hose fitting. Route to drip tray. This will avoid any steam inside the machine. (thank you [anonymized]) - parts ordered from Stefano - https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ed-fitting
    • 50290.10 -- Anti-Vacuum Valve with Barbed Fitting, Qty - 1, Item Total - $11.95
    • 22116 -- Silicone Hose 6x9mm, Qty - 3, Item Total - $8.85
    • 8978 -- Copper Gasket 1/4 BSP, Qty - 1, Item Total - $1.25
This is the stock air release valve:

Here is a photo from [anonymized]... circled is the replacement valve with the silicone hose attached to it. This is a different machine...just sharing photo for clarity

I plan to route the hose to the hole on the side of the drain catcher... here, take a look...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by Bmccall »

wachuko wrote:Like some of the folks here... I can't leave stuff alone and have to modify it even if these are minor changes...

La Marzocco GS/3 Steam Wand (thank you Brandon)
Integrated Acaia Lunar scale in the tray (thank you Brandon)
Change air release valve (anti-vac valve) in the boiler for one that has a hose fitting. Route to drip tray. This will avoid any steam inside the machine. (thank you [anonymized]) - parts ordered from Stefano

There is a chance I may have earned a third thank you :wink:

Plumbing in Londinium R (without losing adj pre-infusion)

#55: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Bmccall wrote: There is a chance I may have earned a third thank you :wink:

Plumbing in Londinium R (without losing adj pre-infusion)
Wow. Easier than what I was about to try... I was looking at plumbing directly to pump to avoid losing the pump adjustable pre-infusion and completely get rid of the tank.

But with this you still have to go in from time to time to clean the tank?

Did you consider plumbing to pump?

Needless to say... parts ordered from the Amazon link...

I still want to explore what it would take to plumb to remove the tank altogether and still keep the factory pre-infusion capabilities

Sorry for the rambling...thinking out loud...

But yeah!!! Thank you!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

CSME9

#56: Post by CSME9 »

wachuko wrote:Like some of the folks here... I can't leave stuff alone and have to modify it even if these are minor changes...

La Marzocco GS/3 Steam Wand (thank you Brandon)
Integrated Acaia Lunar scale in the tray (thank you Brandon)
Change air release valve (anti-vac valve) in the boiler for one that has a hose fitting. Route to drip tray. This will avoid any steam inside the machine. (thank you [anonymized]) - parts ordered from Stefano

This is the stock valve:

Here is a photo from [anonymized]... circled is the replacement valve with the silicone hose attached to it. This is a different machine...just sharing photo for clarity

I plan to route the hose to the hole on the side of the drain catcher... here, take a look...

I change the anti-vacuum valve and add the type with silicone hose discharge on all my machines. Some will say it only spurts small amounts but I have seen what it does to the inside of machines over time. It should be standard requirement.

#57: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to CSME9 »

I was kicking myself after placing the order... I should have ordered 3 instead of 1... one for the LR, one for the Rocket, and one as a spare to avoid any long down time if one fails...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

msimanyi

#58: Post by msimanyi »

Wachuko, can you give me a link to the part from Stefano? I'd like to install that myself.

Mike

#59: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to msimanyi »

Sorry... I usually provide links for all mods... here you go:

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... ed-fitting

Ordered Items :
50290.10 -- Anti-Vacuum Valve with Barbed Fitting, Qty - 1, Item Total - $11.95
22116 -- Silicone Hose 6x9mm, Qty - 3, Item Total - $8.85
8978 -- Copper Gasket 1/4 BSP, Qty - 1, Item Total - $1.25

I will update original post as well.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Atbat82

#60: Post by Atbat82 »

Hi Jaime,

Do you have a sense of how often your pstat cycles? I just got my machine and assembled and plugged it in. For the last 20 minutes or so, the Pstat has been cycling like every 45 seconds (15 on, 30 off). This seems quick. Perhaps it will slow as it gets up to temp?
LMWDP #655