Londinium R - my ownership thread - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RyanP

#41: Post by RyanP »

Atbat82 wrote:I noticed the cups on top. Do they warm ok? I've gotten used to the cup warmer on my current machine and didn't even think about it when I placed my order for an LR.
Yes, the cups do warm OK if you sit them on top of the machine.

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by Bmccall »

Abecker wrote:What drip tray is that?
wachuko wrote:Hahahahaah... I had the same question so instead of asking I started to search, lol... he modified his tray with this insert:

https://www.pantechnicondesign.com/prod ... unar-scale

The real question is, what did he used to cut the tray??? That sucker is stainless steel and will eat bits like there is no tomorrow :shock:
It's the factory drip tray modified with the pantechnicon plastic lunar holder that wachuko posted the link to. I used an angle grinder with a 4 1/2" cut off wheel to cut through the tray.

wachuko (original poster)

#43: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

davidhunternyc wrote:Wachuco! David from the Kafatek forums here. Of course, because of you, I am researching the Londinium R. I came here because I want to know what people who have the LR "don't" like about them? There has to be something? The warm up time? The noise? I don't know. I am fishing here.
Here are a few things that I found when researching:

For the most part, everyone is happy with it. You do not see many come up for sale... I suggest to also join, or just visit the Londinium forum. I did, before buying, and read through all the LR, L1 post with issues...

Because of the adjustable pre-infusion capability, the first few seconds of the pull (lever down) is not silent... you have the pump pulsing to pre-infuse the puck. Once slowly release the lever, it all goes quiet and all you hear is the melody of the coffee pouring into your cup. If you do not use this, you can setup the machine to be completely silent. Also, if you plumb the machine it bypasses the pump driven pre-infusion and it is all quiet as well...but you are left to line pressure for pre-infusion.

The only negative that I was able to find:

One owner complained about not being able to return it. Machine came with a check valve that had a machining defect. It took some time to troubleshoot the actual issue as you can imagine... Owner lost patience and wanted to just send it back. He had to go through several shipments of parts (all costs for the part and shipping were covered by Londinium of course) to narrow down the issue and to get a good check valve from a good batch. This owner has been very vocal in sharing his experience. I can understand the frustration. But I can also understand that a bad batch of a part like this can happen with any company.

Because of this, I reached out to Reiss (owner of the company) and he explained the situation, share photos of the the part, etc.

I downloaded the parts diagram and circled the part. Here is where that valve is in the machine... the issue was with part 77 in the diagram. If the surfaced is not machined perfectly the rubber seal does not performs its job and you hear the pump pulsating (similar sound as what it makes during pre-infusion). Sometimes it will make that sound when new, and it might be due to any sediment between the mating surface and the seal and tapping it will resolve the issue... but in the case of this owner, it was that adapter (77) from a bad batch... no amount of tapping would have solve it.

Realize that this is sold directly from Londinium. So there are no distributors in the USA. You are the technician with the Londinium on the phone. Reiss will help you via WhatsApp or any video chat and walk you through anything. The feedback from owners on his support is extremely positive.

I tend to be over cautious and like to have as many spare parts as I can... not just for this, but everything I tend to buy... so when I bought the LR I got a lot of extra parts... Reiss was like "but you do not need any of this! And if anything happens I will send you whatever you need under warranty... why are you buying all this?" ... I had to explain to him that this is just me being me... So I have spare heating element, gaskets, maintenance kits, spare IMS shower screens, pressure release valves, gauge, that check valve adapter that owner had issues with, power switch, thread locking sealant, etc. I also got the plumbing kit (as you see in the photos) and only using the drain for now... but again, I wanted to have everything here.

I am looking at keeping this machine for a long, long time... I know I drove Reiss crazy with all my questions and requests... asking for the user manual and parts lists before buying the machine... asking for clarification on what are normal noise and what is not. I even used a piece of one of those flexible tubes that I used to install the water filter on the Rocket (3/8" tubing) and listened to every valve and connector inside the machine... my machine had the covers off for awhile while I got used to it and understood what and where each part was... He did send me the air release valve since mine had a slight leak... after I removed it, I could have easily just replace the o-ring but did not know the internals until I took it out... now I have a spare air release valve as well... #3 in the boiler diagram:

There are not special tools need it to work on it... normal metric wrenches and you are good to go.

I know, I know... by now you must be thinking "poor wife", well she is no walk in the park either! The struggle is real! So shut up! :lol:

Like I said, I don't need any of this... many owners that I read from in the forums that have not had issues... but if you see my garage you will see boxes of spare parts for each car that I have, and for the motorcycles, machines... now there is one more bin for all stuff LR related...

I am special... :roll:

So I hope I have not scared you away from one... I would have done the same for any other machine I would had purchased... and yes, I do have a box for spare parts for the La Pavoni, and the Rocket, lol... I need professional help, I know... but at least my wife is happy that I am not spending the money on hookers...

I hope that helps...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#44: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Bmccall wrote:It's the factory drip tray modified with the pantechnicon plastic lunar holder that wachuko posted the link to. I used an angle grinder with a 4 1/2" cut off wheel to cut through the tray.
Brandon, any chance I can bother you with measuring distance from borders? I ordered the tray yesterday :shock:

I would like to measure once and cut twice... or the other way around...

I have a small 3" cutting tool and the cutting wheels... I should be able to tackle this myself...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Bmccall replying to wachuko »

The hole is basically 4.5" x 4.5", but the plastic mount isn't square. The sides of the square have two half circles.

#46: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Thank you... I need to be more specific, sorry...

Can you measure from:
1. The front border to the cut
2. The back border to the cut
3. The left border to the cut
4. The right border to the cut

Trying to figure out where exactly is the placement of the 4.5"x4.5" cut in the tray.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Abecker

#47: Post by Abecker »

wachuko wrote:Decided to move the Rocket off the cart and place the La Pavoni Professional back on the cart...

And the first shot of espresso this morning. Vivace Vita. Yummy :D I promise to have the phone on a stand next time... sorry for all the shaking.

video
Is the Londinium as loud as it sounds in the video, or is it just due to the placement of the camera?

#48: Post by wachuko (original poster) replying to Abecker »

Placement of the camera... that video came out super loud...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#49: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

Bmccall wrote: The hole is basically 4.5" x 4.5", but the plastic mount isn't square. The sides of the square have two half circles.
I think I got it from your photos! All good.

3-1/8" from the sides and 7/8" from the front

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Abecker

#50: Post by Abecker »

wachuko wrote:I think I g
How are you enjoying the machine now that you are a few weeks in? Any new thoughts for someone considering one?