Londinium R - my ownership thread - Page 12

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
acg
Supporter ♡

#111: Post by acg »

Finally my LR24 is on its way!

Hughie

#112: Post by Hughie replying to acg »

Good stuff!

Remember pics or it didn't happen.

Mine is still a week out cause I'm special
LMWDP #659
Londinium R24 & Kafatek Mc3

Abecker

#113: Post by Abecker »

acg wrote:Finally my LR24 is on its way!
Congrats!

Abecker

#114: Post by Abecker »

Do any of you know the weight of the Londinium r?

drH

#115: Post by drH »

I'm really curious about the Londinium R. For all the owners out there, what is your experience with darker roasted beans like Vivace Dolce or even commodity beans like lavazza super crema? I know it does a great job on light and third wave roasts, but can you get the caramel and chocolate flavors of darker beans without the bitterness "paper bag" flavors?

drH

#116: Post by drH replying to drH »

https://londiniumespresso.com/forum/ext ... n-pi-issue

I should add that partly my question arose after I read this thread on the londinium forum. A user was having trouble dialing in a dark roast and Reiss recommended a thermosiphon restrictor... great if you always use dark roasts, but not so much if you want to switch back to light easily. The user eventually decided to return to medium and light roasts.

Billythec

#117: Post by Billythec »

My Londinium R is 83lbs. It's a beast. Don't unbox it alone. Notice it doesn't move a mm when you load the portafilter. Solid as a rock.

Btw I prefer medium dark roasts like Cafe Lusso GMC, Blue Bottle Hayes and 49th Blue Sky. No problems getting world class shots if you lower the PI to 1.2-1.8 bar, easy peasy esp with the app.

lucasd

#118: Post by lucasd »

drH wrote:I'm really curious about the Londinium R. For all the owners out there, what is your experience with darker roasted beans like Vivace Dolce or even commodity beans like lavazza super crema? I know it does a great job on light and third wave roasts, but can you get the caramel and chocolate flavors of darker beans without the bitterness "paper bag" flavors?
I think it depends really on taste, if you drink light, then anything dark will be bitter (I cannot stand it either on LR or in good coffee shop).

In general if you get woody flavour lower the end dose (shorter ratio) and/ or preinfussion pressure and/or time (or even skip it).

Finally it depends also on grinder, when I compared the same coffee on feldgrind vs pharos, I got much more bitter flavour on feldgrind vs almost none on Pharos ;)

wachuko (original poster)

#119: Post by wachuko (original poster) »

I just ordered 4 bags of Vivace Dolce... will let you know. This is one of my favorite coffees and I do not buy it often enough because it pains me to pay that shipping!

As mentioned, just play with the pre-infusion (easily done via the phone app)... and presto!
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

jacob.kole

#120: Post by jacob.kole »

Adjusting pre-infusion to account for roast level will help bring out different flavors. I've kept mine down at basically boiler pressure to simulate a dripper type lever for darker roasts.