Londinium R arrived - Page 21

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#201: Post by OldNuc » Feb 15, 2017, 10:36 am

A HMW poly slip sheet at the top spring seat will get rid of the noise. The polly sheet must be thin enough to not markedly change the max compression and dense enough to not squeeze out over time. Teflon will probably not be adequate.

Almico
Supporter ♡

#202: Post by Almico » replying to OldNuc » Feb 15, 2017, 10:47 am

Ron_L

#203: Post by Ron_L » Feb 15, 2017, 11:19 am

fransg wrote:The challenge of taking a close up picture with enough depth-of-field to show all characters from left to right, is that it's a highly reflective surface so you're then also displaying the kitchen or living room or the belly of the photographer.
I understand. Thanks!
...ron

LMWDP #356

FotonDrv

#204: Post by FotonDrv » Feb 15, 2017, 11:39 am

Chris, thanks for sharing that video, it shows how bad things could get. I would say that is more of a screen door spring sound :lol:
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

fdoenz

#205: Post by fdoenz » Feb 19, 2017, 10:49 am

Hello everybody,
I am a newbie one year before my retirement and wanting to buy a spring lever machine, I am surprised that in this long thread nobody compared or mentionned the Profitec 800, to my modest understanding the Profitec 800 and Londinium are the same kind of beasts...?

Balthazar_B

#206: Post by Balthazar_B » replying to fdoenz » Feb 19, 2017, 11:02 am

It's usually distracting when, in a thread focused on a particular machine, someone drags in comparisons with their favorite other machine. There's a review thread on the Profitec in the Bench section already. Frankly, I'd avidly read a new thread in the Lever section soliciting comparisons on the various Londiniums, Bosco, Profitec, Achille, Izzo, and other objects of affection, so long as it doesn't descend into invective and ad hominem attacks, as happens too often. Since you're focusing on what to get when your retirement is nigh, why don't you start and facilitate that thread?
- John

LMWDP # 577

dominico
Team HB

#207: Post by dominico » Feb 19, 2017, 12:23 pm

fdoenz wrote:Hello everybody,
I am a newbie one year before my retirement and wanting to buy a spring lever machine, I am surprised that in this long thread nobody compared or mentionned the Profitec 800, to my modest understanding the Profitec 800 and Londinium are the same kind of beasts...?
There was actually, along with some boiler pid talk as well. I split it into a different thread here: The benefits of a PID on a dipper lever

The machines are actually rather different beasts in how they get the water into the group, you can read about those differences in that thread above.
http://bit.ly/29dgjDW
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

FotonDrv

#208: Post by FotonDrv » Feb 21, 2017, 1:46 pm

bettysnephew wrote:Regarding the dying beast sounds being emanated when the lever is actuated and the shot is being delivered:

I worked for many years in the industrial food industry and experienced similar sounds from machines I maintained. As coil springs are compressed and relaxed they do a bit of atwist within the confines of their retaining device whether it be spring cups or cylinders. The groaning becomes more pronounced when the compression is slow and the contact surfaces are dry. To alleviate the noises we used to polish the end faces of springs and seats so they would slide smoothly against each other. This was also an issue for us to prevent small metal chips from contaminating the products we produced. After polishing the ends and sometimes also the inner and outer surfaces of the coil that made contact with retaining devices and a reasonable lubrication with a food grade lubricant the noises disappeared. Particularly pay attention to the very end of the coil as it sometimes has a fairly sharp edge. A Dremel type tool with a fine sanding disc followed by a polishing compound will clean those areas up well so they will slide against each other. No guarantees as I have not seen the inside of a lever machine but the problem sounds very similar to what I experienced.
This sounds like a very reasonable explanation for this noise. I tried to position the spring to not contact anything and some places made it worse and some made it better but the very end of the spring being moved by rotational forces by the compression of the spring would explain why I could not get rid of the noise completely.

It would take removal of the spring to polish the sharp end and then polish the seating surface to which it corresponds to eliminate what I believe you are talking about, is that correct? Do the springs on these machines relax tension before they reach the end of their threaded shafts or is a spring compressor necessary to remove the piston to polish the end of the spring?

bettysnephew

#209: Post by bettysnephew » Feb 21, 2017, 6:24 pm

As I said above, I do not own a LR (yet) so cannot reply intelligently as to whether the spring is under compression when in its' housing. I would think the compression would be relatively minor to allow for the decreasing pressure profile but cannot state for certain. You might try to warm the complete piston unit in a low heated oven (less than 200°F and try to brush some food grade lube onto the outside of the spring and see if you can work it up or down into the seat areas. Likely just getting some lubrication between the spring faces and seats might provide a bit of relief from the noise.
It might be worth an email to Reiss (sp?) to find out if the cartridge can be disassembled in house or if special tools would be required to open it up. That would allow one to polish the ends of the spring and the seats. Be sure to ask so it does not void any warranty. The chances are also good that natural wear over time will smooth the contact areas in which case nothing needs to be done as long as you can live with it for the present. Best of luck with this.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

FotonDrv

#210: Post by FotonDrv » Feb 21, 2017, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the input David.