Londinium R24 on the way - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Billythec

#11: Post by Billythec »

Congrats on the new machine, you're going to love it. My first tip is to make sure you have a friend to help you unpack and put it onto the kitchen counter. It is way way way heavier than you think. Secondly I do recommend a larger basket and it looks like you've already put that into your order which is great.

One trick I found is to put a small saucer inside of the drip tray. Then, when you do your shot and then swap your shot cup out for your excess drip cup, the mess is very well contained on its own. You'll have a little bit of extra grounds and stuff lying around, which will land on to your saucer eventually and you can clean your drip tray very infrequently if you want :-) I have also found that a yellow Costco microfiber towel is genius for keeping the machine super shiny. Even when you pivot the machine around to add water, a towel like that will make quick work of getting rid of all of the fingerprints. I do recommend putting a little bit of lemon pledge near the feet on the counter so that they become a little more slippery when moving the machine. Feet are pretty sticky rubber from the factory.

Great secret feature is that the mirrored polish of the whole machine acts as a perfect way to look up underneath the Portafilter while pulling the shot. There is no reason to buy a shot mirror with this machine!

There are good instructions on the Londinium forum which will help you figure out how to do the extractions. Generally speaking you can adjust the grind and PI so that you can get the first drops at a point where you want them during pre-infusion.

mathof

#12: Post by mathof »

pcrussell50 wrote:Do the bore cleaning instructions come with the machine? Or a youtube video from Riess?

-Peter
This video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWWDUvqLID8
at about 26 minutes shows how to clean grease out of the bore, but it's probably worth watching the whole thing to see how to remove and replace the piston assembly (and replace seals).

Reiss also has a three-part instructional video covering the same ground in the Permanent file on the Londinium forum.

eltakeiteasy (original poster)

#13: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) »

This is great thanks so much, Mike! Really appreciate this advice. I would have unpacked the machine and get right to pulling shots which would have made this much more difficult it sounds like.
msimanyi wrote:Btw, I fully agree about the concern using fire. I read about it on this forum, had serious doubts, tried everything else I could and lived with the problem for months before finally going that direction. In my case, it worked. But I also had a backup Londinium IMS shower screen if it failed.

The citrus degreaser I saw recommended, I think by Reiss, is this: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Sol-22608 ... 001P5D5S8/

The wax I like is this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Howard-Feed-N- ... /999918618

Sorry, I don't have photos or video of the bore cleaning, but it's pretty simple. Just be sure to do it before you use the machine, otherwise the excess lube will be a pain to remove from the shower screen.

To remove the shower screen I use a butter knife and pry it down on the left and right sides until it falls off. (Place a towel below.). There's a small ridge on the outside of the screen when it's installed. You're using that ridge to apply pressure with your pry tool of choice.

Then with a new paper towel, wipe down any lube you see on the surface of the piston and the bore below the piston, as well as any that may be on the shower screen. If the screen has any lube on it, soak it in the citrus solvent while you do the next steps.

Pull the lever 20-30 times, then with the lever up, clean the bottom of the bore again. Pull the lever another 10-20 times, wipe again.

Put some of the citrus cleaner on a paper towel or utility towel and thoroughly wipe down the bottom of the piston and exposed bore again.

Install the shower screen, fire up the machine and after pressure builds flush some water through.

Finally, pull a couple shots with your worst or oldest beans, for a final rinse. You don't want essence-of-citrus-cleaner in your shots.
LMWDP #672.

#14: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) »

Bill, thanks so much! I would have never thought about putting the small saucer inside the drip tray that is a great idea!

Also, I was a bit bummed about not having a shot mirror as I love to record my shots so hearing that the mirrored polish of the machine acts as a mirror is very exciting as I was already looking at shot mirror solutions. I will have to take some time and check out the Londinium forum and learn all about the extractions. Thanks again!
Billythec wrote:Congrats on the new machine, you're going to love it. My first tip is to make sure you have a friend to help you unpack and put it onto the kitchen counter. It is way way way heavier than you think. Secondly I do recommend a larger basket and it looks like you've already put that into your order which is great.

One trick I found is to put a small saucer inside of the drip tray. Then, when you do your shot and then swap your shot cup out for your excess drip cup, the mess is very well contained on its own. You'll have a little bit of extra grounds and stuff lying around, which will land on to your saucer eventually and you can clean your drip tray very infrequently if you want :-) I have also found that a yellow Costco microfiber towel is genius for keeping the machine super shiny. Even when you pivot the machine around to add water, a towel like that will make quick work of getting rid of all of the fingerprints. I do recommend putting a little bit of lemon pledge near the feet on the counter so that they become a little more slippery when moving the machine. Feet are pretty sticky rubber from the factory.

Great secret feature is that the mirrored polish of the whole machine acts as a perfect way to look up underneath the Portafilter while pulling the shot. There is no reason to buy a shot mirror with this machine!

There are good instructions on the Londinium forum which will help you figure out how to do the extractions. Generally speaking you can adjust the grind and PI so that you can get the first drops at a point where you want them during pre-infusion.
LMWDP #672.

pcrussell50

#15: Post by pcrussell50 »

From the video: "They are threaded into brass. Brass is soft. If strip the threads, you are screwed."

From the look of it, you could probably replace the steel bolts with studs and nuts. With that, you will never have to worry about stripping anything. This is what I do with the brass group on my (simple) lever machines. I replaced the steel bolts with steel studs and nuts.

Those piston seals look just like Pavoni/Cremina seals. Beast of a job though. Worse than Pavoni. I cringe at the gouging from the metal screwdrivers he's using. I use a spudger when I do them.

I lube my Pavoni seals every three months or so too. And the shower screen seems to fit on the same way too. Save for the presence of the spring, a lot of deja vu.

Good informative video for a prospective buyer as to what to expect in the way of routing maintenance.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#16: Post by eltakeiteasy (original poster) »

Thanks for all the advice and pointers everyone! Really loving the R24! I still have lots to learn but love how fast you can pull fantastic shots!
LMWDP #672.

soheadyithurts

#17: Post by soheadyithurts »

Thanks to @eltakeiteasy and this thread I placed an order for an R24 last night. I'll share updates as they occur. See you on the other side.

LObin

#18: Post by LObin »

If you don't already own one, a 4mm T-handle long allen key is very useful when you do maintenance on the group. Much faster and safer for the beautiful chrome finish.
I got a 9 inch long one for this job.

I use mineral oil on the wenge handles of my L1.

Congrats on the new machine guys! Hard to go wrong with Londinium in the first place but the R24 just brought the game to a whole different level!

Keep us in the loop!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

mountmustache

#19: Post by mountmustache »

LObin wrote:If you don't already own one, a 4mm T-handle long allen key is very useful when you do maintenance on the group. Much faster and safer for the beautiful chrome finish.
Genius! I've been using normal Allen keys and they are a pain

debuggr

#20: Post by debuggr replying to mountmustache »

+1 why didn't I think of this? :x
LMWDP #684