Londinium going to make a small, spring lever machine?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
canuckcoffeeguy

#1: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Looks like Reiss is thinking about building a small spring lever? No idea if he has a concept yet, or is even close to producing one, but he mentions it on his blog.

Check out the May 31, 2016 blog post. He answers an email from an L1 customer. I've also posted a screenshot below.

Anyone heard anything else about this?
https://londiniumespresso.com/blog

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

ETA for the small footprint lever is late 2016 per the Londinium forum. Could be very interesting!
No Espresso = Depresso

canuckcoffeeguy (original poster)

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Cool. Any other details you can share?

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Saw it on the Londinium forum...but the site has been down for a couple days...
No Espresso = Depresso

lawn_wrangler

#5: Post by lawn_wrangler »

Intriguing prospect, especially if it has the same commercial group as its big brothers.

I have often thought there were too few options in the smaller spring lever market. PV Export (quality concerns); Elektra MCAL (exposed boiler a problem in my household) -- then you jump $1,000 or more up to Londinium, QM Achille, etc.

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

Introducing a machine below the L1 can be a risky venture and dilute the name brand. Does Londinium simply make a shortcut cost cutting version of the L1 or do they abandon this approach and go with something akin to a Cremina or a Elektra Micro Casa a Leva. Either way may I suggest true prototyping and real world testing prior to early retail release.
Maybe an open boiler with a 58mm group head could be innovative and cost effective enough to meet both quality and price points.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Coelacanth

#7: Post by Coelacanth replying to redbone »

Can't see any 'dilution' being likely.. And I'm pretty sure he has garnered some serious knowledge over the last few years..... I do know more, but I'm not saying :-)

Luckily for all us lever fans, Reiss tends to put things into action rather than simply dream about doing it. The next step can only be good..........

redbone

#8: Post by redbone replying to Coelacanth »

Good to hear the project is coming to fruition beyond just hype. Good point regarding experience gained. All changes seem to have a domino effect with regards to functionality with espresso machine regarding pressure and heat.
I look forward to it. You can alway PM with more details. :wink:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

Coelacanth wrote:
Luckily for all us lever fans, Reiss tends to put things into action rather than simply dream about doing it. The next step can only be good..........
That is far too much blind faith/optimism.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Coelacanth

#10: Post by Coelacanth replying to TomC »

A) Not blind
B) Optimistic, yes. But hey, I have considered the worst outcomes and deem that even they would hardly cause us all undue harm. :-)

Funny how everyone spews forth optimism when Paul Pratt mentions a new release..

ANYHOW, I suspect I can see where this will head so I will bow out here - except to say I am looking forward to what is coming. Everyone else can make up there own minds.

:-)