Londinium Compressa pressurestat vs LR24 - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kevintyang

#11: Post by Kevintyang »

Just fyi, I believe they remove pstat and added thermistor for lr24 so no more clicking, I believe.

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by emradguy » replying to Kevintyang »

Only the LR24. Compressa still has a Sirai pstat.

samsonpvr (original poster)

#13: Post by samsonpvr (original poster) »

Too bad. I thought my upgrade search was complete. The Compressa was almost perfect.

CoffeeMac

#14: Post by CoffeeMac »

Thermistor requires 24v power source, not used in Compressa. Aim for Compressa was to have a simple system, so adding a 24v supply wouldn't make sense for something very few people see as an issue.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

LObin

#15: Post by LObin »

I have a Sirai in my Londinium. The machine is ON 14hrs/day. The only moment I notice the pstat clicking is when I'm about to lock the portafilter in, waiting on the HE to turn ON so I can benefit from the maximum boiler preinfusion.

That's it. No one has ever asked me what was the intermittent clicking noise in my kitchen. Not even my wife and kids.

Unless you're planning on putting your machine on your bedside table, the pstat is the least aggressive noise an espresso machine can make. Actually... I'll rectify this. After the poetic sound of a fully silent extraction with only the espresso sound dropping in the cup, a pstat would be the 2nd least aggressive noise an espresso machine can make.

The compressa is likely the commercial lever machine with the least electronic components out there. This means that if you feed it good water the only parts you will likely need to replace over the years are the gaskets and o'rings. Oh... and the pstat in 15 years or so (cause it's the best one in the industry).
LMWDP #592

retireddude

#16: Post by retireddude »

LObin wrote: The compressa is likely the commercial lever machine with the least electronic components out there. This means that if you feed it good water the only part you will likely need to replace over the years are the gaskets and o'rings. Oh... and the pstat in 15 years or so (cause it's the best one in the industry).
That's one if the things that attracts me to the machine, the simplicity. It's striped of gadgetry unnecessary for the intended function. It seems fitting that manual lever machine would regulate pressure with a mechanical device instead of with electronics.

But, I can also understand why, for those who would prefer an almost completely silent machine, a PID might be preferable.

LObin

#17: Post by LObin »

Please delete
LMWDP #592

LObin

#18: Post by LObin »

thedudeabides_1 wrote:That's one if the things that attracts me to the machine, the simplicity. It's striped of gadgetry unnecessary for the intended function. It seems fitting that manual lever machine would regulate pressure with a mechanical device instead of with electronics.

But, I can also understand why, for those who would prefer an almost completely silent machine, a PID might be preferable.
I hear you.
Let's say one was hesitating between a plumbed-in Pro800 or the Compressa, a pstat vs PID isn't the debate imo.

One is a dipper on witch you quickly adjust the boiler temperature but are restricted to boiler preinfusion.

The other one is a heat exchanger with the ability to switch the preinfusion pressure anywhere from 1bar to 5 or 6 bar depending on the city line pressure but, temperature adjustments aren't as precised.

In my case, this would be the debate.
LMWDP #592

retireddude

#19: Post by retireddude »

LObin wrote: I hear you.
Let's say one was hesitating between a plumbed-in Pro800 or the Compressa, a pstat vs PID isn't the debate imo.

One is a dipper on witch you quickly adjust the boiler temperature but are restricted to boiler preinfusion.

The other one is a heat exchanger with the ability to switch the preinfusion pressure anywhere from 1bar to 5 or 6 bar depending on the city line pressure but, temperature adjustments aren't as precised.

In my case, this would be the debate.
I completely agree. Those are the most salient points for me too, along with the thermal stability on the thermosiphon. I think the p-stat vs PID is more a peripheral concern, except for the extremely noise sensitive.

corichards

#20: Post by corichards »

retireddude wrote:I started out looking at the Compressa, the Profitec Pro 800, and the Quick Mill Achille. Londinium Compressa vs Profitec Pro 800 or Quick Mill Achille But, I quickly moved to just the Compressa and Pro 800.
Hi retireddude, I'm following a similar path of wanting to get a lever machine next (to follow from my first machine a BDB). I'm looking at a QM Achille as well as others, and have not ruled out the decent. I was interested in why you'd ruled out the QM Achille and if you'd pls share why that didn't make the latest round on your short list? Thanks in advance! [this is my first post so my apologies in advance if I haven't followed due protocol]