Londinium Compact. - Page 24

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Starspawn2318

#231: Post by Starspawn2318 »

I don't think I fully understand what the difference is going to be between this and the R24. Could someone explain?

R24: Bigger, Control over pre-infusion pressure
Vectis: Smaller, "dipper" machine

Practically why would one person want one machine over the other? Thanks.

RyanP

#232: Post by RyanP replying to Starspawn2318 »

The LR24 is made to keep on for long periods of time as a temp stable walk up and pull machine. The vectis is smaller with a quick 15 minute heat up meant for a couple of espressos before turning off. There are three main reasons I can think of to purchase the Vectis over the LR24 or Compressa. Financial constraints, space constraints, or it's a secondary machine to use every now and then when you want to change it up.

mathof

#233: Post by mathof »

Starspawn2318 wrote:I don't think I fully understand what the difference is going to be between this and the R24. Could someone explain?

R24: Bigger, Control over pre-infusion pressure
Vectis: Smaller, "dipper" machine

Practically why would one person want one machine over the other? Thanks.
The ability to adjust pre-infusion pressure is said to greatly improve extractions of light roasts.

Cuprajake

#234: Post by Cuprajake »

so is this aimed at the more traditional drinker then?

till we get real world data, its all speculation- heat up times, temp stability, profile etc. im sure in good time we will see that presented.

the little lever 'cant' be as good as the big lever or it would negate the point of the big lever. i think the price on this is going to be very key, it cant get too close to the compressa, but obs needs to be worth while producing from a profit point of view.

theres a new pic on instagram

ojt

#235: Post by ojt »

I would personally consider output volume as one of the important factors when deciding. Currently using a Pavoni and I'm pretty sure I would like bigger output from my next machine. From what I understood the Vectis would not help me much in that area. This also comes down to coffee preferences, I mostly enjoy the lighter end of the roast spectrum and sometimes being able to easily pull a 1:3 or even 1:4 would be very nice. I can down-dose, yes, but that isn't always the right path to take.
Osku

espressotime

#236: Post by espressotime »

mathof wrote:The ability to adjust pre-infusion pressure is said to greatly improve extractions of light roasts.
Tried that .Never noticed a difference.

Amberale

#237: Post by Amberale »

I think the reasoning behind small levers is for minimal usage.
For 1-4 espresso a day who needs a big prosumer machine?
That is why folks love their LPs, Creminas, Strietmans.
It is possible to manage their idiosyncrasies for the small volume of shots and make excellent coffee.

I think it would be wonderful for someone to make a modern two boiler lever with one open boiler for brew and a small boiler for steam.
Maybe I'm a dreamer. :wink:

pcdawson
Supporter ♡

#238: Post by pcdawson »

RyanP wrote:The LR24 is made to keep on for long periods of time as a temp stable walk up and pull machine. The vectis is smaller with a quick 15 minute heat up meant for a couple of espressos before turning off. There are three main reasons I can think of to purchase the Vectis over the LR24 or Compressa. Financial constraints, space constraints, or it's a secondary machine to use every now and then when you want to change it up.
Regarding the 15 minute heat up......The Lever magazine's evaluation of the Cremina SL showed that it takes 1 hour for the group to stabilize at temp. This is the same as my experience with the SL group. As the Vectis has a similar if not larger group, I think 15 min is not enough time.

ojt

#239: Post by ojt replying to pcdawson »

I agree. Even Pavoni is not actually ready in 15 minutes. At least not in my experience, and specifically the newer millennium versions. You can pump it to circulate water between the boiler and the grouphead and be ready in 15 minutes, but just leaving it stand IMHO will require at least 30 minutes. The boiler will be up to pressure in perhaps 7 to 10 minutes... should time it.
Osku

RyanP

#240: Post by RyanP »

pcdawson wrote:Regarding the 15 minute heat up......The Lever magazine's evaluation of the Cremina SL showed that it takes 1 hour for the group to stabilize at temp. This is the same as my experience with the SL group. As the Vectis has a similar if not larger group, I think 15 min is not enough time.
I was just quoting Reiss on that point.