Londinium Compact. - Page 23

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cuprajake

#221: Post by Cuprajake »

oh like a pre order?

mathof

#222: Post by mathof replying to Cuprajake »

Not exactly. No money down. No ordering prior to release.

I don't know how it will work in detail. I suppose you will just give details on your Vectis order of your previous purchase of a Londinium machine. Or maybe there will be an initial purchase period open only to previous buyers. Presumably, Londinium has sales records to confirm such claims.

I only mentioned it here so that people wondering when they will be able to buy a Vectis can temper their expectations accordingly.

Cuprajake

#223: Post by Cuprajake »

ah, thats a shame,

i hope is not going to go down the route of the likes of kafatek where you have to stand on one leg, spin counter clockwise with a hope of ebing able to get a chance to buy.

it should be open to anyone, not just imo ' londinium fan boys' if you already own one of their products your more likely to view it in a positive light - again imo

baldheadracing
Team HB

#224: Post by baldheadracing »

Cuprajake wrote:ah, thats a shame,

i hope is not going to go down the route of the likes of kafatek where you have to stand on one leg, spin counter clockwise with a hope of ebing able to get a chance to buy.
... where you try to get into one pre-order, and if you don't make it in, then you will get a grinder in the next pre-order opportunity?
Cuprajake wrote:it should be open to anyone, not just imo ' londinium fan boys' if you already own one of their products your more likely to view it in a positive light - again imo
Eventually supply will catch up with demand. In the meantime, and early on, I'd rather see a longtime Londinium owner get one than what typically happens these days - seeing the machine immediately pop-up on eBay for twice the price. (I realize that can still happen, although I'd argue at a much lower probability ...)

Just MHO. I have no experience with Londinium or Kafatek.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

retireddude

#225: Post by retireddude »

My understanding is that it's intended as a thank you to previous Londinium customers, with the earliest customers getting the greatest priority.

Assuming the initial supply is limited, I think it's a nice gesture to those who have previously supported the company.

I'm relatively late to owning a Londinium (compressa) but plan on ordering a Vectis as soon as I can.

Cuprajake

#226: Post by Cuprajake »

may i ask what attracts you to the vectis when you have the compressa?

randyh
Supporter ♡

#227: Post by randyh replying to Cuprajake »

I'm curious as well. I'm going back and forth on waiting for the Vectis or just getting the Compressa now, given the current GBP:dollar ratio. My biggest hesitation with the Vectis is the temperature stability with consecutive shots. I asked Reiss on IG about this, and he said the Vectis would be on par with the Cremina which TBH I was a bit disappointed to hear. The Cremina I understand requires a bit of temp management. Vs with L24/Compressa my understanding is that once the machine is fully warmed up, there's no flushing required and the temp stays pretty stable no matter how many shots in a row you pull.

retireddude

#228: Post by retireddude »

Cuprajake wrote:may i ask what attracts you to the vectis when you have the compressa?
That's a good question. I should've been more specific. My primary purpose for the Vectis will be to replace a compact E61(Quickmill Carola) I use in a summer vacation house. The rest of the year it'll just be for fun, or to serve as an extra espresso station when we have guests.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#229: Post by baldheadracing »

The Vectis is a simple, no electronics, classic small domestic group dipper - IIRC, 38ml output and about the same boiler size as an Elektra Micro Casa a Leva. (38ml vs. 60ml for a commercial group.) You turn the machine on, let it come up to temperature, make a few shots, and turn it off.

Without electronics or electric heating elements in the group, a dipper configuration must trade off warm-up time against temperature stability. Grouphead mass is the main differentiator, followed by boiler size. (Boiler shape and pressure, and element wattage are also factors, but they're typically similar in non-commercial 120v machines.) For example, a (stock) Europiccola has about a 1kg grouphead, 0.8l boiler, and is ready to pull shots in about 8-10 minutes. It overheats after one or two shots (ignoring user interventions). An Elektra Micro Casa a Leva has about a 2kg group, a 1.8l boiler, and is ready to pull shots in 20-25 minutes, and can pull three to five shots before temps rise a little too high. A typical home dipper lever using a commercial group is about 7.4kg group, a 3.5l+ boiler, and is ready to pull shots in 45-60 minutes, and will pull shots all day long (ignoring rebound). The Vectis has about the same size boiler and boiler pressure as the Elektra, but I'm predicting that the Vectis will have a slightly heavier group, and thus take a little longer to warmup than the Elektra, and be able to pull slightly more shots. YMMV, but physics doesn't vary, just assumptions :).

ETA: I'm talking about stock machines without user interventions. Mods change things; user interventions change things. For example, I used to have a Teflon heat break between the group and the boiler in my Elektra. That made the brew temperature stable for hours. It also meant the machine took 45 minutes from cold start to be stable - but if I flushed the group manually, then I could be brewing within 15 minutes of turning the machine on.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kidloco

#230: Post by kidloco »

Well if modes change things (talk about Bong for La Pavoni for example) then engineering something different is possible. I mean just apply mods in the stock machine haha.