Londinium C - Who's planning on buying one? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster »

Sounds like a Faema Velox.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

LObin

#22: Post by LObin »

elbertfunkleberg wrote:That doesn't even makes sense. How many oxymorons can you have in one sentence?
Take a small 58mm lever machine with no water reservoir like a Conti Prestina, Salvatore compact (without the reservoir) or that little Gaggia Spirio.
Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

Add a cap on top of the boiler to refill, remove the hot water tap (think Olympia Cremina, Europiccola, Elektra MiCasa, etc.) and put a PID instead of a PStat (check Dr. Gary's Prestina)...

I'm trying to count... how many oxymorons does that make? :lol:
LMWDP #592

elbertfunkleberg

#23: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

baldheadracing wrote:I don't know anything about the upcoming Londinium and no longer have any interest in purchasing one, but the above is possible using a line-fed (PID'd) thermoblock, possibly assisted with (PID'd) electrical heating of the group. A few of us have such projects going (or not going, in my case :oops: ). Check out Andre's machine in the first post at: Open Source Lever Project
Thanks for that. Now I know where Reiss is getting his design. I suggest Andre file a patent. :D

Adam.p

#24: Post by Adam.p »

I have recently had a conversation with Reiss about the L compact. The machine will be very similar to, and be in competition with the Olympia cremina, but with an in house made spring lever group. No pid, or any electronics for that matter. A new group is needed because the current group that he has on the other machines are too heavy and large for a compact machine. Like the cremina if you want to change the boiler temperature you must adjust the mechanical pressure switch to regulate the boiler pressure. The machine will weigh approximately 22 lbs. He says it will probably have a 1.5l boiler (cremina is 1.6) He currently estimates availability for Christmas 2020.

elbertfunkleberg

#25: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Adam.p wrote:... estimates availability for Christmas 2020 2030.
BTW Reiss has a truly awesome chatbot manning his website. It told me I didn't need a no-burn steam wand because his wands don't burn the milk! He also told me that his machines don't need boiler cladding since the group is throwing off so much heat that boiler cladding would be pointless. Thanks Reiss-bot!

And just in case you get me wrong, I love my Londinium. There are room for improvements though, none of which really affect the quality of the coffee I end up drinking. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. I also wish him luck on his "Cremina-killer". I'll be first in line if he delivers a good lever machine at a reasonable price point.

If any of you sensitive souls are offended by my remarks, please pray for me. That goes for u2 HB. :P

wachuko

#26: Post by wachuko »

^^ :lol:

I am inline as well... I want another machine for our second home... this looks like the perfect machine to have there. We just travel with our preferred coffee in the backpack and voila!
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

bakafish

#27: Post by bakafish »

Adam.p wrote:He says it will probably have a 1.5l boiler (cremina is 1.6) He currently estimates availability for Christmas 2020.
Olympia Cremina 2002: The evolution of design
Cremina is 1.8L

Atbat82

#28: Post by Atbat82 »

wachuko wrote:^^ :lol:

I am inline as well... I want another machine for our second home... this looks like the perfect machine to have there. We just travel with our preferred coffee in the backpack and voila!
Now I want a second home to have an excuse to buy another machine!

cosmin_durac

#29: Post by cosmin_durac »

Sounds more like an Olympia Club, Elektra mcal, ponte vecchio lusso and not like a cremina.

Eres

#30: Post by Eres »

Adam.p wrote:He says it will probably have a 1.5l boiler (cremina is 1.6) He currently estimates availability for Christmas 2020.
thanks, I needed a laugh