LMWDP Rollcall - Page 57

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

#561: Post by IMAWriter »

Hi all..
I've been a CG member since July 2002, and joined here several years ago. I'm a songwriter/producer/studio vocalist.
Well, I've gone and done it. I purchased the La Pavoni Europiccola (Millenium version) 8 cup...got a swell deal @ WS, as it was their last one....ever. With tax, $327. We have a 9.25 sales tax in TN!
I've been home roasting for about 6 years, and was the first of Joe Behm's beta testers of the Behmor 1600 roaster. Thumbs way up.
I've had a wonderful thing with my Anita HX...over 4 years...no problems, as I'm serious about caring for her, and my Mazzer SJ.
This lever thing, however is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALLGAME. I couldn't help being impressed by the obviousappreciation you all have for your machines, no matter how humble, or expensive, no matter how old...or even previously mistreated. I've read as many threads as possible, and was particularly impressed by those of you who have taken that poor, abused machine into your home, and have meticulously restored it to a new magnificence.
I really feel like a newbie....as I should. So, I expect, and am prepared to (somewhat) accept the requisite dreck flowing like water, or the choked up group, the burns, the curses, the feeling of low self-esteem that undoubtedly will accompany my first weeks/months/years? of lever hell. I expect all that...and worse!
So why subject myself to this abuse, when I haven't had a channeled shot through my bottomless PF for YEARS?
That is the age old question, for which I have absolutely NO answer.
Maybe it's the challenge, maybe it's a thirst for something different...maybe?
I just know that I've wanted to take a whack at this for a while. I'm alright with being a work in progress.
I'm a dad, and I know how much better I am at that (my kids might question the veracity of this)now than I was even 5 years ago...it's called PATIENCE
Patience...something it seems most of y'all on this lever forum have in abundance. Above all, we all share the love of fine espresso.
I don't feel worthy (yet) of a #....at least not till my new Reg 51mm arrives :lol: ...I already have a Reg Tall bubinga 58mm...2 bases, but wanted a little something different for the Pavoni.
In fact, not until I've pulled an acceptable 1.25 oz double (acceptable enough to become a "spousal Americano) will I knock on these hallowed portals once more...probably for # 387!. Then again,who knows...One day, I might actually produce magical feats of "leverdemain"
Respectfully,
Rob Jason (IMAWriter) aka lever newbie

CoffeeOwl

#562: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Robert,

YOUREAWriter! :wink:

PLease gentelmen assign this guy his number, he deserves one to further train his patience :P
Funny thing is that I also have a touch with music.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

IMAWriter

#563: Post by IMAWriter replying to CoffeeOwl »

Pawel...thanks for the compliment. Your gesture is appreciated!...still, being a man of my word, I will post a picture of my humble little Pavoni, my not coquettish Anita, and my downright macho Mr Mazzer SJ.
I've run the Cafiza through as suggested. Funny thing, their manual is actually quite accurate whilst describing coffee storage, and other matters.
I'd like to begin my apprenticeship here by offering a small contribution.
I was informed by Stefano Cremonesi that the exact dimensions of the inside of a Millenium double basket is....
51.73mm. So, my 51mm from Reg should be a tight, but good fit...I hope!
Ciao

IMAWriter

#564: Post by IMAWriter »

Sorry for the double post...not familiar with posting pix here.
My instincts told me to loosen my grind on the SJ about 4 clicks from its current Anita setting (my home roasted Yemen Ismaeli)
I'd rather have black water than a choked machine the first time out.
13 grams later, after bleeding the steam wand, waiting for the green light to again go out, I quickly dosed, and had to tamp with the top of a vitamin bottle...my Reg will be on it's way Monday. So, to be fair, liuke everyone else here with lever fever, I used whatever "sort of" fit.
Again, intuition told me to tamp a little lighter, as the Italians do. About 20 #'s, I'd say. There were indentations from the top of that cap! I figured, "molto channeling"...uh oh.
Before locking in, as has been suggested, I raised the lever 1/2 way, THEN loaded the PF...man, it's tiny.
Then slowly raised the lever, counted 10, lowered the lever....a few drops preceeding my lowering...thew first 1/4 of the journey, there was not a lot of resistance...then I felt the resistance...and then some. Still, I kept steady presssure downward. I'll guess about 45#'s or so. I did not do the "Fellini thing"...just one long journey downward....time was 27 seconds from the time I started counting at the top.
What you see above is the result. I swear! beginners luck, for sure.
The temp was perfect...just a bit more volume than I expected...about 1.75 oz...nearly all crema...the picture I took was a full minute later than the pull.
I will say, without a doubt it was the sweetest espresso I've ever tasted. Not as "concentrated a taste as my Anita shots, but I'd call it a taste that even non espresso lovers would like.
Frankly, I'm in shock, as i had a fairly lengthy stay in hellsvile with Anita...not her fault. Just lousy technique,
mostly. maybe the fact that I'm familar with the basics of the grind, dose, distribution/tamp thing may give me a leg up. seems like there are more than a few here in lever-land who have not paid their pump dues. :lol:
I just know, I'll grounds all over the ceiling, but for now, the after taste, both gastronomically and to my ego have me feeling downright WORTHY!
So, if y'all can stand ANOTHER music guy, may I have #182?
Respectfully,
Rob J

Oh yeah, these things ARE a PITA!!...but the reward was awesome, bay-bee! :D

Whoops...looks like my pix didn't show up...strange they were in the preview....
Trying again

IMAWriter

#565: Post by IMAWriter »

kbon wrote:For 20 plus years I have had one espresso machine or another, beginning with a small Gaggia pump, soon afterward getting the new Bezzera "family" machine, seen here.
<image>
The machine is plumbed in, but it is a manual fill.

I have also had a Europiccola, and a La Peppina, but they were not as comfortable to use as my Bezzera. Living in the Boston area, I was able to get the machine serviced by Rino Gnesi, the US importer of Bezzera's. I never considered doing any work myself until I started reading this website. I appreciate all the information you have made available.

I hope I qualify for a LMWDP number.

Thanks
Karen
Karen, The Bezzera is a beautiful thing. Makes my La Pavoni look like a pipsqueak! :lol:

IMAWriter

#566: Post by IMAWriter »

OK...As I expected, the vitamin bottle tamper led to a MAJOR fissure in my puck...looked like the cracks in my aggregate driveway :oops: what's funny , though, is the shot was nearly all crema (not near the sweet taste as yesterday's first one0)...but I think I know why....even with my SJ dialed at least 6-7 notches coarser..or the equivalent), I was still having to exert MAJOR force downward about 1/3 of the way into the shot...I mean MAJOR.....as in maybe 70#'s or so! And, the entire pull starting with after the 10 second "pre-infusion" took over 25 seconds....longer than that video of Michael Prince's on YouTube...yeah, I know it's a Cremina (sigh) he's working with.
So...I'm going to wait patiently for my new tamper from Reg Barber, and stare at my little trouble maker :lol:
However, I am going to start my campaign for #182...unless I can just abscond with it?...
Do I just post the # in my signature, or do I wait for the powers-that be to assign it?

mogogear

#567: Post by mogogear »

Robert,
Dan Kehn the host of this party will throw you onto the list that starts this whole thread ( page 1) There are not that many rules about this - Think of it as a it as a "fun" gig with a good house PS system :wink: But there is no pay... :lol:
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

r-gordon-7

#568: Post by r-gordon-7 »

Looks like no new numbers have been assigned since #181 was assigned back in January on page 27 - with some of us waiting pretty much since then. (I requested #184 back on January 29 on page 27.) I know Dan was busy on the board re-design and probably still has more pressing matters to deal with... but we're now on Page 29 and tomorrow is April Fools Day - might that not be an apt day for a mass inauguration of new LMWDP inductees?

Hopefully, our time will come - and the club isn't closed to new members... (Then again, there is always the old Groucho quote about membership... :wink: )

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7
LMWDP #188

HB
Admin

#569: Post by HB »

Sheesh, this wasn't even my idea, it was Steve's. Tell you what... after my taxes are filed around April 15th, I'll write some code that will allow posters to this thread to register their LMWDP membership. Since it will be automated, inductees will get the next available number (i.e., no requests for specific numbers).
Dan Kehn

IMAWriter

#570: Post by IMAWriter »

mogogear wrote:Robert,
Dan Kehn the host of this party will throw you onto the list that starts this whole thread ( page 1) There are not that many rules about this - Think of it as a it as a "fun" gig with a good house PS system :wink: But there is no pay... :lol:
I only work triple spec... :lol: