LMWDP Rollcall - Page 230

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Gumption

#2291: Post by Gumption »

Pictured above is my machine-a Profitec Pro 800. I had a Silvia for about 12 years but last fall came to a point where I was ready to make a change from a single boiler, pump driven machine and narrowed it down to this machine or another spring lever. I was drawn to the simplicity, beauty, silence (when plumbed in) and potential for amazing espresso that comes with lever machines. Since this picture I've added a temperature strip to better understand and manage group temperature. Now that I've had this one for a few months, I can confidently say I'm a lever owner for life. Looking forward to learning more and more from you all.
LMWDP #695

Roco2019

#2292: Post by Roco2019 »

Hello all,

My journey started by tasting "coffee milk" with donuts my grandma used to make me as a kid. Didn't drink much coffee in high school, college and early adult life. Even worked at a coffee stand that used a super automatic, so my first introduction to espresso was a nasty black smoky watery substance.

2019 I was gifted a Melitta pour over brewer last year, and subsequently became very interested in the specialty coffee world. My dad got a BBE and it got me hooked on spro and lattes. Made me wanna get a home machine, become a home barista.

Thus, I stumbled on HB (and of course, James Hoffmann vids) on home espresso machines and in 2020 purchased a used manual lever Flair Pro 2, and have since been learning and reading everything about espresso and specialty coffee every day. It was my newfound pandemic project. In a world that was unstable, unpredictable and out of control, making coffee/espresso was my one way I can feel in control over things.

The lever is purest form of creating this art of an elixir we all love so much, and will always remind me of starting my passion of home espresso. The tactile feedback and tranquility of no loud pumps is a very meditative, therapeutic experience. Only to hear the foamy drip into the demitasse, and to bask in the aroma. It simply makes me happy. Look forward to learning more every day and sharing with you all.

Edit May 2023: I actually sold my Flair and bought a Rancilio Silvia V6 in 2022. Enjoyed it for while but... sold it and went back to the lever world by buying a Cafelat Robot in 2023. Use it nearly daily. Love the "little fuss and delicious results" like what drgary said below. (Big shout out to Mr. Pratt for making these espresso art pieces). Still enjoy reading the posts on here. Cheers!

Ro
LMWDP #697

leoliu

#2293: Post by leoliu »

I started making coffee at home with french press + supermarket ground coffee + sugar + milk around 2008. This would continue for 6 years. Could be shorter if it were not for starbucks. It had a big presence and in that time I thought that was the taste of above-average coffee which IMO was not much better than my french press. Since 2015 I have used 3 Delonghi machines and accidentally I had only made milk-based drinks.

Fast forward to 2020 when the pandemic was looking ever more depressing each day, youtube recommended James Hoffman's videos. I learnt about espresso-making and the Olympia Cremina. For a few days I was planning/dreaming how to get one from a neighbouring country where there is an official distributor. But the pandemic was in the way and I was worrying what if espresso is not my thing or Cremina is not my dream machine. I ended up getting a white Cafelat Robot.

After about 2 weeks I started drinking straight espressos regularly. It was 2 shots a day initially, then 3 shots, 4 shots... I am at 5 (double) shots now. I have tried all beans I can get my hands on: beans from local roasters, my favourite cafes and starbucks. Then Illy, Lavazza, Passalacqua, Kimbo etc. I like the Italian beans because they make creamy thick aromatic espressos and is perfect for the robot paired with a smart kettle. No preheat no fuss. Just tasty espressos.

One interesting accident was my scale's battery died in the middle of a pull of Passalacqua Cremador and I had to finish it by feel but the espresso tasted one of my best. These days I often stopped a pull by feel i.e. when the espresso starts to blonde or when the puck is degraded. This morning I pulled Kimbo Extra Cream 14g in 40g out with water from a kettle set to 93c. It was delicious.

LMWDP #696

drgary
Team HB

#2294: Post by drgary »

^ ^ ^

That's the lever experience I enjoy, with more measurement if I want to, but not always needed. If you dare, it can be done reliably with little fuss and delicious results. Leo, welcome to the LMWDP!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

leoliu

#2295: Post by leoliu »

Thanks Gary. You make the forum feel like home ;) It is liberalising to operate a manual lever this way. I look at the stream / flow more than anything else, not the gauge (almost never these days) or the scale and occasionally I can rescue a shot from bad to drinkable. It looks like I am a lever person and humbled to be a member of LMWDP.
LMWDP #696

jackdaddy

#2296: Post by jackdaddy »

I have been visiting Home-Barista for several years now and have found it very helpful whenever I had a question or needed some guidance. I have been meaning to join this roll call for a long time, but have been content reading about others' experiences. Anyway, I have procrastinated long enough! won an Ebay bid on a La Pavoni Professional about three years ago. It was advertised as a Europiccola, but I preferred a Professional anyway so it worked out just fine :-D

From what I gathered from francescoceccarelli.eu, the machine is from around 1978 -1990, but it is very difficult to pinpoint exactly.

When I first got it

It was sitting in an attic in a village near Turin, Italy for a very long time and needed a good cleaning and renewal of the seals. The clear coat was peeling, there was some corrosion, and the pressurestat was failing. I also made some additions to improve repeatability/consistency. I added a grouphead pressure gauge, which is really helpful in learning how much force was required to achieve the desired pressure. I find that I tend to like around 8 bar best with the lighter roasts. I also soldered on a mount for a meat thermometer to measure the temperature of the grouphead. I know this seems like a destructive modification, but I found this to be the best way to achieve consistent measurements. The solder would be easily removable should I ever want to restore the machine. I also did the the water-heated grouphead modification (DanoM modification) for better temperature control. I just keep the original portafilter in the freezer and clamp it on between shots and run water through it if additional cooling is necessary. I can pull shots until I run out of water and easily maintain a 90 degree celsius external grouphead temperature without much effort (Thanks Dan!). I also replaced the lever pin bushing with ball bearings and added a bottomless portafilter.

As it sits today

Finally, I have a voodoodaddy modified Pharos (#00770)
Jack
LMWDP #698

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2297: Post by yakster »

Looks Great jackdaddy, don't forget to register for your LMWDP membership number (first post).
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jackdaddy

#2298: Post by jackdaddy »

Thank you Chris!
Jack
LMWDP #698

mathof

#2299: Post by mathof »

Brilliant work, Jack. Enjoy!

Matt

jackdaddy