LMWDP Rollcall - Page 229

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
redbone

#2281: Post by redbone »

So this isn't the support group? Thanks Jonathan. Do like the look and build of these early LPE but prefer the early 70's model functionality with removable sleeve, sight glass screw and switch off option. This 68 will spend more time in show mode than go mode.

The sleeve came off fairly easily once the sleeve tool was ground on it's inside to fit. Had greater issue screwing back with some mild grinding required on the outside of the sleeve which must have expanded over the years and heat cycles. Special thanks to Nelson (a.k.a.) crazy4espresso for his tool and insight.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MtChuck

#2282: Post by MtChuck »

Hello LMWDP,

I have been roasting at home with a Behmor 1600 plus for many years and my second Gaggia Classic died back in January I prefer straight espresso, no milk drinks. I decided an ECM Classika was the next machine for me. They were on a nearly endless backorder. So, I kept my self busy searching CL....

I found this 1995 2 Group Astoria / Mr Espresso Lever machine, 120 volt and in immaculate condition. Apparently was originally purchased by a church and not rolled out very often. I will integrate it into our kitchen, but for now it is in my studio perching on a tool box. The first shot was really wonderful. I thought I might be up for a long dial in process, but the lever gods have been kind. I am in love.

A few photos attached.

I believe this has Bezzera brew groups?

LMWDP #690

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#2283: Post by Balthazar_B »

Wow, what a great 25 year old machine. Looks like new!

Do you have its dimensions and weight?
- John

LMWDP # 577

MtChuck

#2284: Post by MtChuck »

John-

It is around 150 pounds. 27.25" w x 20.5" d x 29" tall to the top of the levers.

I am thinking I will build a bar for it, 43" +/- to the counter. Does that seem line a nice final height for the machine?

Chuck
LMWDP #690

Balthazar_B

#2285: Post by Balthazar_B »

If you can, build the counter to a height that works for your own height and body geometry. A good analogy is a bicycle. You want the frame geometry such that your back is nearly horizontal, your legs will almost fully extend on downstrokes for the maximum power, and you won't impair your ability to father children if by mishap your tender parts encounter the top tube. With a lever machine, you want to extend your arm at a length where most of the pull comes from your shoulder muscles, not your elbow. Alternatively, you can squat with a lower counter height, but then guests will think you're doing something very odd -- don't ask me how I know. :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

redbone

#2286: Post by redbone »

That's a nice machine William. I see many joyous shots in your future. That double group could even keep up with a small house party. Like the uniqueness.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Rapier

#2287: Post by Rapier »

Good day, my application for your approval !

Initial exposure to levers was from my father who has been pulling shots on a Pavoni for many years, and I believe is a lurker in these parts. I am also a Montrealer, so still some cafes using spring levers here, which I have become much more aware of.

I started my own coffee journey with a specified time of pour-over only exploring beans. Then began the lever journey with a Flair, and then a Robot, again, a forced specified time before deciding on lever vs pump progression. Then, graduated to the Pavoni Esperto attached here, which I have failed at holding onto for the 1 year I promised myself before any other upgrade/change. Essentially, opportunity came a knocking, and she was convincing. I have dragged a colleague, who may never forgive me, into the hells of this obsession. And so the upgrade by selling locally to a friend, though he may not call me that on days he pulls too many bitter/sour/under/over extracted shots. I have poisoned him, as you all do everyday with this board, as Hoffman does to the masses, and as I have been to the allure of the red Swiss. I am awaiting a Cremina from Cerini, shout out to Johnny for his immediate and fast responses to emails.

I will admit to many, MANY a frustrating moment. And yet, the work and challenges only add to the pleasure of successes.

Frederic - Lever and coffee masochist, aren't we all.
LMWDB #692

Advertisement
Ad-85

#2288: Post by Ad-85 »

:shock:

I just found about this club! What a great idea!!
I have a robot and ACS Vesuvius EVO Leva on pre order.
I'm not into graphs and I wanted simplicity. Levers have a lovely world and lovely people living in it. Thanks for all the info.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

aleex

#2289: Post by aleex »

Hi, I'm Aleex. My first experience with coffee was getting served black coffee with cheesecake at a fancy restaurant during an internship dinner, and ever since then I was hooked on black coffee. Last year I fell down the rabbit hole of espresso and got an entirely manual setup with a Flair Pro 2, bellman stovetop steamer, and kinu M47 Phoenix. Literally today... I picked up my Cremina. Talk about great financial decisions. I couldn't be happier tho. Looking forward to world domination.

LMWDP #693

wojtowip

#2290: Post by wojtowip »

I dove into lever machines head first. I started my espresso journey with a Breville Infusor, great little machine but not quite a robust tool. I quickly upgraded to a large HX machine, Profitec Pro 500. Had the Profitec for about 3 years and made about 4 drinks every day on it. Loved the machine, but I leaned towards more milk based drinks and always thought espresso was just too over powering. Never really enjoyed straight espresso and going out to different coffee shops, I wasn't always getting much better result. So I just thought that's what espresso tastes like.

Fast forward to this year. We moved once again and this time had much less kitchen real estate, so the Profitec had to go. I started to research smaller machines, but everything "smaller" was somehow compromised. That's when I landed on lever machines. I still had my doubts and almost pulled the lever on a Ponte Vecchio. Than I found the Nanofoamer, bought it to try it out and worked great so that opened a different category of machines. I actually placed a pre-order for the Flair 58, but soon realized that having to heat water would not make for a great routine and would become annoying quickly.

I finally came over the price shock of the Strietmen and ordered the CT2. It came in less than a week after I ordered it, but man is it a beautiful machine. It's solid and simple. The workflow on it is actually way simpler then anything with an HX. No temperature issues, no backlashing, no flushing, no chemical backflushes, no non-sense. Fill the tank, flip a switch, wait 10 minutes, prep, pull a shot and done. The first espresso I made was already much better than anything I've had before and I was drinking it without milk. The next few shots were also good. I tried to make a milk drink and somehow it didn't taste as good as just the espresso I was making. I'm basically done with my love affair with milk after this, which is not something I ever imagined. I can still make a milk drink for spouse, just pop some milk in a microwave while pulling shot and froth it with Nanofomaer after, not much more work than a steamer.

I don't think I'll ever go back to pump machines, simpler is better. I have another story about the grinder, but right now I settled on a hand grinder for multiple reasons.

LMWDP #694