LMWDP Rollcall - Page 229

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
leozava

#2281: Post by leozava »

tifosi wrote:I had a lever machine about 15 years ago. An Elektra MCaL. Decided to go for convenience and sold it. Regretted it. Nothing ever came close to the quality of the shots I got out of the MCaL. Moving soon and I can't take my current plumbed in machine with me. Time to place an order for a new lever! Which one? MCaL, La Pavoni? Cremina? or ...
They are hard to find but I wouldn't trade my pavoni Eurobar for any other non commercial lever. Just my 2 cents

LuckyMark

#2282: Post by LuckyMark »

Leozava is that a Hedone Honne grinder in your picture? If it is what do you think of it matched with your levers?

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
redbone
Supporter ♡

#2283: Post by redbone »

Thought I was done with LPE but then I came across this minty birth year Europiccola with the aluminum square grill holes. Keeping this one original. Added custom boiler gauge cap which is a non-intrusive swap.

La Pavoni Europiccola 1968.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

LObin

#2284: Post by LObin » replying to redbone »

Wow! It's in amazing shape for how old it is... Yep, that was intentional :P

You're never quite done with these mythical machines. There's no patch, treatment or support group that can solve this addiction... ;)

Cheers Rob!
LMWDP #592

redbone
Supporter ♡

#2285: Post by redbone »

So this isn't the support group? Thanks Jonathan. Do like the look and build of these early LPE but prefer the early 70's model functionality with removable sleeve, sight glass screw and switch off option. This 68 will spend more time in show mode than go mode.

The sleeve came off fairly easily once the sleeve tool was ground on it's inside to fit. Had greater issue screwing back with some mild grinding required on the outside of the sleeve which must have expanded over the years and heat cycles. Special thanks to Nelson (a.k.a.) crazy4espresso for his tool and insight.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

MtChuck

#2286: Post by MtChuck »

Hello LMWDP,

I have been roasting at home with a Behmor 1600 plus for many years and my second Gaggia Classic died back in January I prefer straight espresso, no milk drinks. I decided an ECM Classika was the next machine for me. They were on a nearly endless backorder. So, I kept my self busy searching CL....

I found this 1995 2 Group Astoria / Mr Espresso Lever machine, 120 volt and in immaculate condition. Apparently was originally purchased by a church and not rolled out very often. I will integrate it into our kitchen, but for now it is in my studio perching on a tool box. The first shot was really wonderful. I thought I might be up for a long dial in process, but the lever gods have been kind. I am in love.

A few photos attached.

I believe this has Bezzera brew groups?

LMWDP #690

Balthazar_B

#2287: Post by Balthazar_B »

Wow, what a great 25 year old machine. Looks like new!

Do you have its dimensions and weight?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
MtChuck

#2288: Post by MtChuck »

John-

It is around 150 pounds. 27.25" w x 20.5" d x 29" tall to the top of the levers.

I am thinking I will build a bar for it, 43" +/- to the counter. Does that seem line a nice final height for the machine?

Chuck
LMWDP #690

Balthazar_B

#2289: Post by Balthazar_B »

If you can, build the counter to a height that works for your own height and body geometry. A good analogy is a bicycle. You want the frame geometry such that your back is nearly horizontal, your legs will almost fully extend on downstrokes for the maximum power, and you won't impair your ability to father children if by mishap your tender parts encounter the top tube. With a lever machine, you want to extend your arm at a length where most of the pull comes from your shoulder muscles, not your elbow. Alternatively, you can squat with a lower counter height, but then guests will think you're doing something very odd -- don't ask me how I know. :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

redbone
Supporter ♡

#2290: Post by redbone »

That's a nice machine William. I see many joyous shots in your future. That double group could even keep up with a small house party. Like the uniqueness.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549