LMWDP Rollcall - Page 228

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
caeffe

#2271: Post by caeffe »

leozava wrote:Just posted this in home espresso setup but I think it also fits here. Still have some finishing touches but it's almost finished. My basement coffee room

That is one nice collection that is well displayed! Heck, looks like you even have Tampers!
Looks like a Lambro there that is the star. Happy to see that its displayed as it would when one walks into a Cafe.

What is that white machine, bottom left case, bottom shelf?
And where is the Velox situated? is it in this room or another one altogether?
LMWDP #162

leozava

#2272: Post by leozava »

beer&mathematics wrote::shock: Great job Leonardo! Wow, that's an awesome collection.

By the way, is the yellow Robot custom paint job or is the color tricking me (maybe it's cream, i didn't follow the development too closely)

If you have to pick your favorite 3 levers, which would they be? Then send me the rest :lol: haha
Jorge,
The faema velox is on 24/7 ready to pull a shot and definitely my favourite!! The smaller machines only get used on the weekends for fun but I'd say the pavoni Eurobar is my favourite manual lever although I do enjoy using the faema babies. The peppina with the glass boiler gets quite a bit of use also.

it is the original yellow/beige, originally these were the only 3 colours available

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
leozava

#2273: Post by leozava »

caeffe wrote:That is one nice collection that is well displayed! Heck, looks like you even have Tampers!
Looks like a Lambro there that is the star. Happy to see that its displayed as it would when one walks into a Cafe.

What is that white machine, bottom left case, bottom shelf?
And where is the Velox situated? is it in this room or another one altogether?
Caesar,
That white machine is an old baby gaggia, it was my very first espresso machine that I modified with a pid, opv mod and brass shower holder. I still take it out once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic.

The velox is upstairs in our main kitchen with a modified versalab and some lww goodies. I restored it 5 years ago and it's been running 24/7 ever since. Love it!

JJ420

#2274: Post by JJ420 »

So I'll go ahead and kindly ask if I may enter the club (and if not, that's cool too!). Just came into possession of this beautiful 2003 Elektra Microcasa a Leva after posting a WTB ad on here. A really cool fellow enthusiast who was just a few miles away responded and hooked me up with this fully sorted out and turn-key machine. Dude also generously threw in a bunch of extras to keep this machine going forever. 8)

Which is exactly my intention as I've owned a number of levers in the past. Back in the 2000's old lever machines were plentiful and half the going rate of what we typically see today on the used market. I had a Pavoni Europiccola, Sama Export, and Olympia Cremina all sitting side by side on the kitchen counter back around 2008. Then the recession hit and I sold everything off, and of all of them the Cremina was the one I had regretted the most (obviously). Not to mention that I had collected literally every spare part minus the boiler and group while I had owned it. I made a big profit when I sold her but that didn't matter - I could never find another and watched as both price and scarcity for old levers greatly increase over the years. I went an entire decade using a Mazzer Kony along with an entry level Saeco Classico utilizing a pressurized portafilter. That was the point where I'd hit espresso rock bottom. :lol:

Now I'm back at it, learned my lesson (NEVER selling my espresso machines again), and have enough spare parts to keep the Elektra operating indefinitely. The really cool part about purchasing equipment from your fellow enthusiasts, is that the equipment in most cases has already been dialed in perfectly. I was surprised to find that my Valentina and MCAL both use the exact same grind setting, which was always a big deal in the past as that meant I had two giant Mazzers sitting on the counter as well. To me this is like hitting the jackpot. I now pull a shot with the Valentina when I wake up, and then pull another from the Elektra in the afternoon without having to change a thing. It is.... the best.

The MCAL has been a huge surprise for me. Its performance certainly rivals the Cremina and is solid as a tank. Yeah, one can pull a little better of a shot with the Cremina, possibly, but it comes at the expense of repeatability which the Elektra completely has going in its favor. Shot volume with the Elektra isn't the biggest, but I think it has more flavor and a different effect than the Cremina. The MCAL shots have to be without a doubt some of the strongest espresso I've ever made. Cremina has more body and crema, but the look of the espresso pull itself from the MCAL is some of the more visually stunning I have seen. The colors and the striping really pop out with the Elektra.

Having owned quite a few levers, I think I'm safe to say that the MCAL is fairly underrated compared to the almighty Cremina. The latter has always gotten most of the fanfare and unilateral attention, but the ease at which the MCAL can repeatedly make great shots makes it run pretty neck and neck with the Cremina at the end of the day. Steaming is certainly better with the Elektra, like by a standing mile better. I'm very happy with this machine and will be using this thing daily from here on out. My stable is now complete! :D

LMWDP #688

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2275: Post by yakster »

Welcome to the club, JJ, see the first post in the thread back on page one to get your LMWDP membership number.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JJ420

#2276: Post by JJ420 »

thank you sir! :D
LMWDP #688

Phip
Supporter ♡

#2277: Post by Phip »

Nice to see you're back in your lever groove. And thank you for taking over the spot of newest LMWDP member! More later...
Philip
LMWDP #687

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
doubleOsoul
Supporter ♡

#2278: Post by doubleOsoul »

leozava wrote:Just posted this in home espresso setup but I think it also fits here. Still have some finishing touches but it's almost finished. My basement coffee room

It has the feel of a quaint old Italian mini bar. The plastic trash threw me off though. :lol: :D :D Dreamy, to die for set up! I adore it.

tifosi
Supporter

#2279: Post by tifosi »

I had a lever machine about 15 years ago. An Elektra MCaL. Decided to go for convenience and sold it. Regretted it. Nothing ever came close to the quality of the shots I got out of the MCaL. Moving soon and I can't take my current plumbed in machine with me. Time to place an order for a new lever! Which one? MCaL, La Pavoni? Cremina? or ...
LMWDP #689

LObin

#2280: Post by LObin » replying to tifosi »

Cremina SL!
LMWDP #592