LMWDP Rollcall - Page 215

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Seanmells

#2141: Post by Seanmells »

I hope this semi-cross posting is allowed. I just realized I laid things out in the James Hoffman Cremina thread, so I might as well make it official!

I was fortunate enough to start my espresso journey in earnest with a used Cremina I acquired locally just under a year ago. A few factors push me towards this as a first machine, one of which ironically being price. I paid just over a quarter of what a new machine would run, so I understand the criticisms thrown at it for cost. Being my first machine though, I wanted something simple to use that also needed to be compact due to our current kitchen layout.

The first week was truly a honeymoon period where I flew through handfuls of shots a day. I'll admit there was certainly a learning curve. Once the initial shine wore off I had a lot ahead of me to learn.
I think I'm similar to James in that I adore artistry, but also need to understand the how and why of things. The Smart Espresso Profiler should give me exactly what I need from this machine that I believe I've already fallen for.

My only gripe if I'm being honest is I wish it was a little easier to adjust the temperature/steam pressure setting. It's easy enough to do really, but not super practical when my tinkerer brain takes over.

While I am already scheming about my next machine, I have no intention of replacing the Cremina. It just may eventually live out its days in our future vacation cabin where its simple manual nature will perfectly meddle with its surroundings.

bobpaule

#2142: Post by bobpaule »

November 2015 is when I got the lever bug, daily lever only since then, wanted to go simple and economical so I modded the xxxx out of bare La Pavoni Lusso, vacuum breaker, p-stat, tray drain and others, see here:

Ponte Vecchio Lusso newbie

Two days ago I won this beauty post-2011 "New" Cremina after lurking lusting for one almost daily for two years:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympia-Cremin ... 2077611193

So being a modder this is what I have on the way for it (keep in mind machine has not even arrived):

-3/8" high temp silicone boiler insulation.
-drip tray drain kit scrambled from McMaster industrial supply.
-Cerrini OEM naked PF, looked at Naked and thought about using my own Lusso's, but realized I don't want
my new baby hurt by imperfectly lined up teeth.
-Naked silicone piston and grouphead gaskets.
-Amplifier feet to raise machine do drain kit will fit:

https://www.amazon.com/40x20mm-Aluminum ... 0819G7R12/

OK, am I a bona fide convert now?
Never get between a man and his ristretto, ever!

Advertisement
mathof

#2143: Post by mathof »

bobpaule wrote:
Two days ago I won this beauty post-2011 "New" Cremina after lurking lusting for one almost daily for two years:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympia-Cremin ... 2077611193

Your link is to brass lever pins rather than your "new" Cremina. It would be nice to see your beauty.

bobpaule

#2144: Post by bobpaule »

mathof wrote: Your link is to brass lever pins rather than your "new" Cremina. It would be nice to see your beauty.
Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympia-Expres ... 4165475720

mathof

#2145: Post by mathof »

Molto bella!

wachuko

#2146: Post by wachuko »

All these years and it is now that I find out about this... never too late if the espresso is good.

Joined HB when I was looking for recommendation on a entry level appliance espresso maker... at the time I was buying the Breville Barista... not happy with the consistency of the machine, I started looking at alternatives. I had just purchased a used Rocket Cellini... that had not portafilter and needed some TLC... so that was sitting on a counter of the kitchen next to the Breville Barista... So still only having the Barista and wanting something better (that worked out of the box), it got me reading threads in the Lever section... which in turn got me interested in giving a manual lever a try... So started searching for one.

Just by pure luck I ran into a local listing on craiglist for a new-in-the-box 1979 La Pavoni Professional and without thinking drove over that same day to pick it up. And told my wife afterwards... keep in mind that this was just two weeks after I had purchased the Rocket Cellini Evo V1... all that happened in March 2017.

I fell in love with the looks of a lever machine. Have to admit, never spent enough time with the La Pavoni to make consistent shots since by then I had the Rocket working... and it was the laziness that kept me just using the Rocket... but every time that I would fire up the La Pavoni, I liked the shots I made with it... and the process was kind of nostalgic... hard to explain. Like driving a manual car after having driven automatics for awhile. I am a car guy and frustrated computer engineer that always wanted to me a mechanical engineer... so I appreciate the mechanical work of arts...

My first lever- the journey begins

Fast forward to this year, I was determined to change the Rocket for another pump machine because I felt I was not getting the best espresso in the cup... and not admitting to user shortcomings, I wanted to get new machine to cover for some of my mistakes... After being all over on what to get, some of suggested that I looked at a spring lever machine... and that is how I ended up adding the Londinium LR...

Londinium R - my ownership thread

I think that I have found my last espresso machine... at least for this house. I am already thinking about a setup for our second home... when all this pandemic is under control and we can resume the new normal life... but for the day to day of our life in Florida... I am finally at ease with the machine that I have. Whatever I get for our home away from home, will also be a spring lever machine...

I just love the process, looks, everything about the experience of using a lever machine... I get it now folks... I get it...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

bobpaule

#2147: Post by bobpaule »

mathof wrote:Molto bella!
Can you believe that the xxxhole who sold it to me on Ebay had me wait a week before just canceling the transaction after realizing he may have asked too little for it. If I catch that bxxxxxx listing it again for more I will post him all over the web :evil:

Realistically though, it was a COVID impulse purchase, I have no more room for machines but that does not mean I would not get a Cremina and a Pro 800 if I could, just to create some balance to my wife's textile hoarding:)

Advertisement
mathof

#2148: Post by mathof »

Can you report him to eBay? They must have rules about that sort of thing.

bobpaule

#2149: Post by bobpaule replying to mathof »

Not really, he could claim item got damaged.

mathof

#2150: Post by mathof replying to bobpaule »

Still, it's worth complaining. There may have been other complaints about him, or there may be in the future. Eventually, e-Bay could ban him.