LMWDP Rollcall - Page 202

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ALfromtheLAND

Postby ALfromtheLAND » Jul 12, 2018, 7:12 pm

My apologies I should have clarified that I made my decision without actually researching into detail Breville products. I know they make good machines as well as introductory machines which was what was being looked at by the lady at bed bath and beyond..which is where all the other coffee machines that I purchased and have given away eventually came from so I figured I would try something different. I'm simple minded with purchases sometimes.
Sadly if my wife had to make her own coffee on the regular she'd probably still want one of their automated ones!

tsamisa

Postby tsamisa » Jul 13, 2018, 2:27 am

Hello everyone,
This band of lever heads was and still is one of the most enjoyable things for an espresso over money follower to read. The love for espresso started for me when i was a student in the UK mid 90's. My knowledge was limited at best, but i couldn't take my eyes off a LA Pavoni that was sitting there, in the corner of the bar top, shining. The chrome curves , o my ... love at first site. But... alas... an expenssive lady for a student. I came back to Cyprus and i bought my first semi , a Gaggia evolution with a bottomless portafilter and added a paranelo wand. It wasn't enough. something was missing. 8 years ago i got my Christmas bonus from work went online and bought the woman of my dreams. I was hiking when she arrived, but my need for a lever ( i know that sounds a bit kinky ) was so big that i couldn't wait for courier service to deliver it after the the weekend. So i passed through their offices during my hiking and picked her up. Carrying her for a few miles (with the help of a friend ) through the doorstep and in to the... kitchen. Switching it on waiting patiently and then.. OMG it was awful. The worst coffee i ever tasted. Hell's fart. Concentrated bitterness in a cup. Was the woman of my dreams just looks and no substance. Well i'm glad to say i was wrong. After a few weeks and a lot of caffeine shaking i found out that patience truly pays off. Combined first with an Kitchenaid grinder and after shorting it out, with a polished Aluminium Ascasso I2 mini i could never go back to leverless. No one of my friends could understand why spend so much money to a machine that takes half an hour process every morning to produce... coffee, and without bells and whistles. Well ignorance maybe a bliss but your miss all the fun. And recently once again i used my savings to by a brand new Olympia Cremina. I thought that i'll never get more than what i had with Pavoni. I guess i'm happy to be wrong all the time. Both machines are great in their own way, my friends believe that i have coffee beans for brains and i start my day with a smile :)

Do i get a number?

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » Jul 13, 2018, 3:19 pm

tsamisa wrote:Do i get a number?

Did you see you are #605? Welcome!!
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

tsamisa

Postby tsamisa » replying to Tonefish » Jul 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

Yes. Thank you. Nice to be in a forum that people take their time to enjoy aspects of life. Especially coffee :D

Alslaw

Postby Alslaw » Aug 01, 2018, 3:00 pm

Although I had been drinking the swill from Starbucks since high school, the coffee experience that changed my perspective was my trip to Italy in 2016. Before that I had never tasted (or at least recognized and admired) a proper cappuccino. The microfoam blending perfectly into the espresso and creating a single, thick, creamy consistency throughout my 5 oz cup.

When I came back to the states, Starbucks would no longer cut it. I started with the moka pot and an electric frother. Better than Starbucks, but still not where I wanted to be. Picked up a Gaggia classic and rancilio rocky: better, but still not there. Then Ms Silvia and a PID with a baratza Vario: now we were talking. But when friends or family came over, I was spending 45 minutes making a handful of capps. So I bought a broken Pasquini heat exchanger that I was able to diagnose and repair (with the help of HB, CG, and one member in particular ([jpboyt]) and was in business.

The Pasquini was great, but I was intrigued by the history and technology behind the e61 group. So the craigslist searches never ceased, and they led me to a broken Quickmill Andreja Premium that needed a complete tear down and rebuild. I was up to the task ... It took me 6 months, but I got it done! I have been nothing but happy with the quickmill, but something kept pulling me to a lever machine (pun intended).

Finally, when I had no other machines to work on, I started searching for a first gen la Pavoni Europiccola. It didn't take long to find one that I was ready to jump on. Disassembled it, replaced all the gaskets, powder coated the base, and it is back to its former glory.

ppunipar

Postby ppunipar » Sep 12, 2018, 10:30 am

ImageI would like to participate in the club and request my number, I have acquired and restored a Europiccola of 1982 :D
That's the recipe for coffee: "Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love."

yakster

Postby yakster » Sep 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

Nice LP, ppunipar. There's a registration link for your LMWDP # in the first message of the thread. Welcome.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ppunipar

Postby ppunipar » Sep 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

Thank You :)

Welcome, you are registered as LMWDP #608.
That's the recipe for coffee: "Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love."

TheHardWay

Postby TheHardWay » Oct 01, 2018, 3:35 pm

I've been levering my way through life for a few years now. I started with an Expobar and a Macap grinder. When we decided to move into our RV and travel full-time I wanted something smaller. I bought a Ponte Vecchio Export and an OE hand grinder, not really knowing much about lever machines. Several years later, I'm pretty darn happy with it. I use a Behmor roaster and Sweet Maria beans. I have about as much control as I need - I know what level of roast I want in order to get a successful result with the Export. I toy around with getting a Lusso, but so far I'm enjoying good results every day, and the small Export is easily transported. As it happened, medical issues have delayed full-time travel, but hey, I'm ready when I can finally do it...

I guess I ought to sell that Expobar and the Macap - neither has been touched for 2 years.

francois

Postby francois » Oct 13, 2018, 5:48 am

Dear forumers,

After lurking for years on this site, it is with great pleasure that I answer the LMWDP rollcall by introducing you to the lady living in my kitchen since 2 years:
Miss Faema Mercurio was born on july 1960 (according to her manometer) and is one of those 3rd gen chassis with a 2nd gen 'V' group.

After using a Lelit machine/grinder combo then a home rebuilt Cimbali Junior D for years, I might have found my Graal:
This lever is so forgiving, it's like it was designed with me in mind!
It's perfect for my coffee habits: Dark Italian roasts with at least 20% robusta, 3-4 doubles a day (sometimes I'll steam milk for a cappuccino)
Grinder is a Feldgrind for a fully silent morning routine (think about the children sleeping next door!)

FWIW, here's an example of what I pulled an hour ago using Caffè Vicerè Oro blend (70A/30R)
14g in, 25g out.

Cheers,
François.

(edit: blend ratios)
--
François
LMWDP #610