LMWDP Rollcall - Page 201

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv » May 06, 2018, 11:51 am

Balthazar_B wrote:Stephen, noooooo! Don't you know once you've tried lever, you're hooked forever?

Yes, I do know but my shoulder has been giving me grief and as I age I know it is not going to improve. Plus as we downsize from a 3 story home on a hillside certain things will go away. So now it is a stark realization that as we condense to a single floor living arrangement (hopefully in the same home) rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic will be as smooth a sinking as possible. Last ditch resort will be to move the roaster up onto the kitchen counter next to the gas stove that has a large well vented hood :-)
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » May 06, 2018, 12:20 pm

Stephen, your knowledge and experience of levers doesn't disappear! (FWIW I where it's relevant I occasionally offer comments about levers I no longer own.) I wouldn't worry about misleading anyone because your profile shows your current equipment listing. Here's to your good health so your hobby can remain accessible to you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv » May 06, 2018, 12:21 pm

Thanks Gary 8)
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

sweaner

Postby sweaner » May 06, 2018, 1:33 pm

FotonDrv wrote:So how does one get removed from the LMWDP? There has been a coup in the household and Slayer has won. Do you just strike a red line through the #417??

You don't...member for life...and you WILL be back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... ubso_i0ZCI
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

Tonefish

Postby Tonefish » May 06, 2018, 3:35 pm

FotonDrv wrote:So how does one get removed from the LMWDP? There has been a coup in the household and Slayer has won. Do you just strike a red line through the #417??

once a lever head, always a lever head, no matter what machine is distracting you now, and even if you are just simulating a lever with your new machine. :wink:
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

zix

Postby zix » Jun 15, 2018, 11:49 am

LMWDP #047 setup @ work
Like 10 years later, or is it more... and here comes pictures. You can't accuse me of being trigger happy in this thread, but Lady Bezzera has awoken from a long sleep and is once more ruling the coffee corner - this time at work. I thought that was worth a pic:
And of course, the LMWDP tamper is deserving its place right in the middle (my other levers are not 58 mm:s so this is the first time in like 8-9 years that it comes out on the bench).

Happy for Bezzie to be back, greatful to the bosses for letting us use this room, to our local coffee repair guys for reviving this beauty, and proud to be LMWDP #047 :)
LMWDP #047

happycat

Postby happycat » Jun 29, 2018, 8:49 pm

It seems fitting that my wife bought me a lever for my birthday... the Flair Signature. I bought her a Gaggia Classic back in 2012 for her birthday. Back then I didn't even drink coffee and she drank hazelnut flavoured Folgers brewed in a Zellers plastic coffee machine.

Neither of us knew what good coffee was until we made it... iterating better and better. It was more that my bad coffee was better than what she was already drinking. And my next shot was better than the last one. And so on.

Somehow her simple request triggered an obsession, always trying to improve a shot. We upgraded from a whirly blade grinder. I modified an Encore multiple times. We bought roasted beans from the market and struggled with them until I asked the roaster to make me a shot and it was as bad as mine. We tried mail order coffee. Then I got a Pharos and my wife thought I was nuts but it elevated everything. Then VST baskets, PID, Silvia wand. And a string of manual brewers for my birthdays. I bought a used Bunn G1 which was insanity again, hulking on the counter but tasted better. Then Greenbeanery, Sweet Maria's and hot air popper roasts on the balcony. Then my Quest M3, my treat for completing my Masters, more insanity my wife now appreciates.

Now I am roasting weekly with several beans and roast levels that I mix myself for balanced shots, tracking roasts wirelessly with a TC4, Orange Pi and ipad. I automated my Gaggia with an ESP8266 to provide a web interface for preinfusion, soak and pour times. It featured in a makerfaire at my university. And yes, I bought a Sette to make shots easier on my Classic when grinding so fine for my VST baskets. Lots of technology. But...

...but I've been checking out the levers for awhile now, reading threads, watching videos. She noticed and managed to navigate away from the ROK and choose a signature Flair and she brought it home from the office where she'd had it delivered.

I was so surprised and delighted.

I'm a bit caffeinated right now having pulled four shots to dial it in. Finally seeing a stream of crema coming out on the fourth. I ground by hand with my Pharos, a 100% manual exercise, and unlike my VST baskets for the Classic, I don't need to go so fine. It's surprisingly easy to set up, use, clean, and run again. And quiet. And so much control on that lever... and I can take it travelling... or on a picnic like we used to do with the aero press and Hario mini. It's so well thought out... everything fits together nicely and I blow the pucks out of the portafilter.

My wife is so delighted to watch me excited like a kid. I told her we didn't need another espresso machine a couple weeks ago when she was asking me about levers. But she bought it anyway. :D :D

Thanks HB. A great community shepherded by Dan and the team.
LMWDP #603
★ Helpful

ALfromtheLAND

Postby ALfromtheLAND » Jun 30, 2018, 9:43 pm

Well I guess it not to late to become part of this club. My name is Al, I've enjoyed coffee since I was a kid and my coffee love moved to espresso based drinks and after many years of Starbucks coffee and every pod style coffee machine my brother started to mention he was interested in a real home espresso machine and was telling me how much these things costed and I just looked at him like he was crazy...
Then a few months later my wife started bringing up the breville machine like she was interested and I thought, o-boy another machine we're gonna junk in a year. So I started researching and we ended up with a rocket apartmento. I loved it, learning my tamping, dosing, extractions etc. I eventually became drawn to lever style machines after dealing with a machine that pulls immediate 9bar with no pre infusion, there's not much room for error and my wife was pulling more sink shots then she preferred. So we ended up with a cremina and it's certainly amazing so much I bought one for the office too. Now I'm too the point were I'm having the itch again and may sell one of the creminas to buy a commercial spring lever...I definitely have a problem
Here's some pics

rocl

Postby rocl » Jul 11, 2018, 4:41 am

Hi all. 20yrs ago i bought a Krups something or other. 5yrs later it died and I bought another. another 5yrs and another death and as I was looking for a replacement I came across a Caravel for sale, google brought me to HB and the caravel thread, Ebay Italia and a 1.1.
I developed an itch for an E61 and a Rocket arrived. One wet summer's day I pulled the Caravel back out and liked it again. I started searching for a Vam and got a 1.0 in very good condition.
ImageAfter a few years I developed a liking for frothy milk in the afternoons so a Domobar Jr arrived. The milk was great but the espresso was ordinary, so the Vam came back out. I acquired a Pharos early on (#171) and changing grinds was a pain.
Then I started thinking about a "real" lever and a couple of weeks ago a Londinium R landed on my doorstep. Dialled in quickly and easily. Great shots every time. Espresso is wonderful and frothy milk is great. I'm a very happy camper!

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Jul 11, 2018, 11:42 am

ALfromtheLAND wrote:Then a few months later my wife started bringing up the breville machine like she was interested and I thought, o-boy another machine we're gonna junk in a year.

Don't know which version you were looking at, but my Breville (the Dual Boiler), is going on seven years with nothing but routine maintenance and no end in sight. Same with everyone I know on the forums, who are willing to do the routine maintenance as well. It's so well designed and built, I don't know if any major components will ever fail. And the types of moving parts that eventually wear out like pumps and solenoids are all industry standard parts you can get on Amazon or eBay or the espresso parts outlets.

ALfromtheLAND wrote:So I started researching and we ended up with a rocket apartmento. I loved it, learning my tamping, dosing, extractions etc. I eventually became drawn to lever style machines after dealing with a machine that pulls immediate 9bar with no pre infusion, there's not much room for error and my wife was pulling more sink shots then she preferred.

This is so, so true. While I enjoy the grassrootsy rituals of using a lever as a diversion from my lab grade pump machine that is always right, all the time, the control you have over the shot from beginning to end, is where a lever gives up nothing and in fact has a great advantage over pump machines. This is why I went to great lengths to have a pump machine that gives me full programmability of the pre infusion (duration and pressure), and would have great angst switching to a machine that didn't.

-Peter
LMWDP #553