The LMWDP guide to lever espresso stands of the world - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zin1953

#31: Post by zin1953 »

CremaKatz wrote:Sadly, I can't think of a single cafe with a lever machine,
at least off the top of my head.
No, neither can I -- they've all been replaced by pumps . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

HB
Admin

#32: Post by HB »

peacecup wrote:Somewhere way back in the lever forums there is a thread almost identical to this, where we posted photos and even maps of shops with lever machines. If someone can find it we can merge them, and make it a Sticky thread so its always available.
Merged as suggested. Sticky threads should be used sparingly; I added this thread to this forum's FAQs and Favorites for easier reference (it will automatically appear in the FAQs and Favorites Digest).
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Psyd

#33: Post by Psyd »

grindandpull wrote:and if you know the make of lever machine or have comments on the service you got, put them there as well.
I went one better and posted a photo of the machine! Unfortunately, something is going on with my ISP and my submissions are being duplicated a few times, here, there, and everywhere. If you could, would you remove three or four of the copies of the photos from the photo section? I've tried, but Frappr won't let me.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

coffeefrog

#34: Post by coffeefrog »

There is a lever machine in a restaurant in Melbourne (Victoria, Australia), near the parliament building, a Victoria Arduino, but it just appeared to be a backup machine the night I ate there. It was late at night after last minute preparations for a presentation the next day. The food was fine, the coffee was not good: style triumphed over delivery.

Greg
LMWDP #15

realdoctor

#35: Post by realdoctor »

If anyone happens to be in the central coast of California during the summer, try the farmer's market in Avila Beach (near San Luis Obispo). A woman brings a cart out with a single group Gaggia lever. She pulls a very nice espresso. The market is a pleasant late afternoon stop and probably the best place to buy fresh fish in the area. The market does not run every day - check locally.

fflewddur

#36: Post by fflewddur »

They have 10 locations in Ashland, Eugene, Corvallis, Salem & Albany. I talked to the service dept. in Albany who said they are all manual levers--the only way to go. They were also kind enough to send a set of seals for my Conti.
The service department is great at Allan Bros. I rebuilt a 2-group Conti about 14 years (or so ago) and they provided seals, sight glass and other misc. parts that needed refurbed (or I broke while dismantling). I'm glad to hear they still carry them and promote the use of lever machines. I pulled some great shots out of that Conti.

I used to manage a shop that used to carry their beans and I wasn't a fan of their very, very, very dark espresso roasts, but this may have changed recently and I'll gladly be corrected with more recent info; I haven't stopped by one of the beaneries for about 5 years.

Where I am currently, there's a 2 group lever machine in use at soulfood books in Redmond, Washington. I believe it's a new Astoria. They serve sleepy monk espresso and it's decent. There's also a happening local music scene there on the weekends and of course books.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#37: Post by orphanespresso »

Went to the Lux today in Phoenix as recommended........all we can say is thanks for the tip, sure made our day, and tomorrow morning as well.....may just have to stay here a few days to catch up on espresso.

Doug and Barb

Advertisement
caeffe

#38: Post by caeffe »

johhnyguitar wrote:Went to the Lux today in Phoenix as recommended........all we can say is thanks for the tip, sure made our day, and tomorrow morning as well.....may just have to stay here a few days to catch up on espresso.
Doug and Barb - that decal on their bean package tells me that it is a 3 group LSM! I'll be in Phoenix next week and hope to be able to swing by and have some espresso! I thought their fresh roasted beans were pretty good also!.

BTW, did you get to try the shop next door? I hear they have pretty good calzones. Every time I go there it's either too early (morning) or too late (after 6).

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#39: Post by orphanespresso »

It is a 3 group - David pulled the first cups (those pic'd above), and Eric pulled the next two - sucked dry before I could get a photo! Eric also does the roasting. Absolutely wonderful! We arrived too late for the next-door eats on the first night, and too early the next day for non-breakfast food for me (which is about 3pm.....not an early eater!) but it looked great!

Tried the Safehouse in Tucson, unfortunately only an ok cup. They use a 3 group Astoria. Should have asked for a single pull on the double prep, taste was ok, over extracted, cup full to the brim. Could have been better.

Tried the Ragin Sage Coffee in Tucson also, button pusher. WAY too hot, drinkable only as a go-with for the Pecan Bars...

It's worth going to Phoenix just to partake at the Lux - even if you have no other reason to go there!

Jasper

#40: Post by Jasper »

If you ever visit Amsterdam, The Netherlands,

http://www.espressofabriek.nl/
Gosschalklaan 7
Amsterdam

http://dekoffiesalon.nl/
Utrechtsestraat 130
Amsterdam

Two lovely espressobars with a Kees van der Westen Idrocompresso machine....

Maybe we can put al these adresses in Google Earth, as a "my Places" Document!
LMWDP #068