The LMWDP guide to lever espresso stands of the world - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
peacecup

#21: Post by peacecup »

..for a lever espresso. And I did. Last week. In Anchorage. I walked a mile across frozen sidewalks and icy streets in 10-degree weather (windchill not included) to get to Side Street Espresso in downtown Anchorage:

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akbldg/sidestreet.htm

I passed about three people on the entire walk. Unfortunately, I arrived at 3:15 PM, only to find they'd closed at three. The next day, after a few more pump espressos from a NS semiautomatic at the Sheraton, I did the frigid trek again, this time being sure to arrive before 3. I did get a great shot, and had a nice chat with Debra and George, who are very fond of their SS Astoria. It is a very nice machine, and they've been pulling shots on it since it was new or thereabouts, 20 + years ago. Not sure if that old Astoia made it through the Quake in '64, but the building did, and Side Street Espresso has been there a long time.

Despite the best efforts of a very patient barista and some Cafe D'arte Firenze, the shots from the NS pump machine at the Sheraton just couldn't compare the the one I got from Debra on the Astoria.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

roastaroma

#22: Post by roastaroma »

Ciao,

I think it'd be great to compile a list of coffeehouses that have lever machines and people who know how to use them -- that is, if such a list doesn't already exist somewhere (if you know, please post a link).

The Blue Bottle Cafe here in San Francisco is the only one I'm aware of so far (theirs is a La San Marco 2-group). Let's put our heads together -- it'll be good for all of us when we travel around.

Grazie mille,
Wayne
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

caeffe

#23: Post by caeffe »

Lux Caffe in Phoenix also has a LSM lever. I can't recall whether it's a 3 or 4 group though. Perhaps some Home Barista's in Phoenix can confirm

peacecup

#24: Post by peacecup »

Somewhere way back in the lever forums there is a thread almost identical to this, where we posted photos and even maps of shops with lever machines. If someone can find it we can merge them, and make it a Sticky thread so its always available.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Kaffee Bitte

#25: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

The General Merchantile. Helena Montana. Two vintage La Pavoni two group levers.

It was my introduction to lever machines (and really espresso in general).
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

roastaroma

#26: Post by roastaroma »

Ciao Peacecup,

This must be the thread you were referring to -- it just turned up in the "Related Topics" box:

The LMWDP guide to lever espresso stands of the world

Neato... BTW, I wouldn't mind having a Ponte Vecchio as my next macchina! In red, if possible! :D

"Mmmm, two levers."

Happy Brewing,
Wayne
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

r-gordon-7

#27: Post by r-gordon-7 »

Ah the General Mercantile in Helena... I used to live in Helena in what now seems like several lifetimes ago... That was back in the 1975-1979 time frame... and I do remember the General Merc - though I really wasn't a coffee drinker back then and don't recall what machines they might've had. However, I was indeed a drinker of other liquid refreshments back then :wink: - and, along those lines, if I recall correctly the General Merc was in the same building as the original Bert & Ernie's (which, from what I now see on the web, appears to have moved since I was last there, all those many years ago...)

r-gordon-7

Psyd

#28: Post by Psyd »

roastaroma wrote:Ciao,

I think it'd be great to compile a list of coffeehouses that have lever machines and people who know how to use them -- that is, if such a list doesn't already exist somewhere (if you know, please post a link).
'The Safehouse' in Tucson, and the baristi don't suck at all. Not even a little. The coffee is not my favorite, but that doesn't mean that it's not good, just not my choice. The atmosphere is a great combi of new youth and old vintage coffee shop. Weird and eclectic, focussed on the coffee.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Psyd

#29: Post by Psyd »

Clean-up on post two!

CremaKatz

#30: Post by CremaKatz »

roastaroma wrote:The Blue Bottle Cafe here in San Francisco is the only one I'm aware of so far (theirs is a La San Marco 2-group). Let's put our heads together -- it'll be good for all of us when we travel around.
As I understand it, a lot of places won't let you put in a lever
machine anymore- code regulations because they can present
a physical danger (spring loaded lever snapping up). Precedent,
if I remember correctly, was a woman in Colorado who broke her jaw.

But perhaps that's just chatter. I dunno.

I am curious as to how James got permission. Maybe
because he already had an automatic machine as his
main machine, and the San Marco is a backup?

Sadly, I can't think of a single cafe with a lever machine,
at least off the top of my head.

Edit: I believe Blue Bottle runs a lever machine (Astoria maybe?)
at the Temescal Farmer's Market on Sundays. It's on Claremont
in Oakland, near Telegraph, in the DMV parking lot.

I am adding that since this will be something of a reference and
I want the reader to have SOMETHING in the East Bay.