The LMWDP guide to lever espresso stands of the world - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mogogear (original poster)

#11: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

redbeard00 wrote:I would need someone who's local to Portland to confirm this, but when I lived there in 2001, there was a cafe/dessert shop called Palio located in Ladd's Addition that had a lever machine. In the last few months I was there, they switched from Illy to Stumptown. I didn't drink the espresso at the time, but I recall one of the employees mentioning that the owner was a fanatic about the lever machine. Maybe someone can verify or update this...
The address of Palio is:
1996 SE Ladd Ave
Portland, OR 97214-4757
I can do that- I thought i already checked it out- But i live only 20 blocks away- I'll hop on the bike and see. Thanks!!! I have been searching and searching fpr a commercial lever in town to patronize
I will say good news about the coffee switch- Stumptown is greatlocal roasted coffee- and a lot fresher than Illy!!

Thanks again I'll let you know soon!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#12: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

redbeard00 wrote:I would need someone who's local to Portland to confirm this, but when I lived there in 2001, there was a cafe/dessert shop called Palio located in Ladd's Addition that had a lever machine. In the last few months I was there, they switched from Illy to Stumptown. I didn't drink the espresso at the time, but I recall one of the employees mentioning that the owner was a fanatic about the lever machine. Maybe someone can verify or update this...
The address of Palio is:
1996 SE Ladd Ave
Portland, OR 97214-4757
Nope= Palio's no longer uses a lever-they have a nice new La Cimbali Auto 2 group - they have had 3 owners since 2001 the barista informed me. But she led me to the only lever I have found in town........... see next reply
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore

#13: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

1522 SE 32 nd Ave ( at Howthorne but down from th corner South about 50 ft.)
503-235-8022

A humble bohemian spot for the youger, hipper, cool set. But a nice twin lever Rancilio with a lithe, young barista who loves ( or they will think you are CIA.......... and try to write some poetry would ya'!!

FINALLY A SPOT THAT HAS A COMMERCIAL LEVER IN PORTLAND!~
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Latte Jed

#14: Post by Latte Jed »

Mo,

At last I hear of a Pdx Lever. I'm planning a trip soon to my old hometown, and I look forward to checking A Chance of Rain out.
I've seen it as I walk between Artichoke and Veloccio's, but I've never stopped in.

I have to admit before I had LeverFever I had been in the Boulder Vic's many times and had never noticed the Levers--that was just two months ago.

I've also discovered that it can be a problem expressing too much interest in the barista's levers. The lady baristas either think you're
stalking or just plain weird. I've had a much easier time when I seek out guys who really seem to be into their job, and catch them
when it's slow. The guys at Vic's and Trident won't shut up once you show an interest in their work.

I assume now that you have found one, you'll be inside the entire Portland Lever Network. You might check with their repairman and see
if he's got other levers on his service route.

If you come to SLC for Outdoor Retailer, we'll have to go on a lever hunt there.

Latte Jed

#15: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

Latte Jed wrote:Mo,

If you come to SLC for Outdoor Retailer, we'll have to go on a lever hunt there.

Latte Jed
I wish my backpacking gig was big enough to attend- Check out my distributor partner if you attend -Gossamer gear- Glen van Peski- They are a very leading edge super ultra light retailer. I used to go to SLC for my day job- but sales regions changed. Have a good visit to PDX when you come.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Latte Jed

#16: Post by Latte Jed »

Interior of Vic's Prospect near Longmont, Colorado. All the machines I saw in the Boulder area were the Rancilio Classe 6 Levas
in "Colorado Red."

Action at Vic's Broadway in Boulder. The Baristas would pull the levers to the low position for infusion where it would hang for tens seconds. Then they would push the lever to a horizontal position where the spring would take over for the next 17=20 seconds to vertical.

Repairman at Joe's Espresso Boulder Colorado.

Latte Jed

#17: Post by Latte Jed »

After visiting with Mogogear in Pdx, I stumbled across some more commercial lever machines in operation. In the neighborhood where I was staying I discovered the Capitol Coffee House at 6446 SW Capitol Highway, between Hillsdale and Multnomah.

It's a well maintained La San Marco from the 80s. As I have come to expect the owner, Andy, and his baristas all swear by the Lever Machines. It's the only way to make espresso. They put me in touch with their repairman who gave me a short list of Levers in the Portland area.

Next Stop Martinotti's at 404 SW 10th where I found a beautiful hammered copper La San Marco 2 group. The owner said it had been with the shop virtually since day one--25 years.

Ruby's is a tiny coffee shop at 35 NE 20th, just off Burnside, housed in a former barber shop building that can't be 20x20'

Also heard of but not seen:
Portofino Restaurant 8075 SE 13th in Sellwood
Pied Cow 3244 SE Belmont
Rimsky KorsaKoffee at 707 SE 12th
Lovely Hula Hands 938 N. Cook

Also discovered this Conti in Ashland Oregon at an Allan Bros. Beanery.

They have 10 locations in Ashland, Eugene, Corvallis, Salem & Albany. I talked to the service dept. in Albany who said they are all manual levers--the only way to go. They were also kind enough to send a set of seals for my Conti.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision

#18: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

It was great to meet Latte Jed on this trip to Portland!! Wow, he really scored by finding the service company that serviced that initial lever and they gave up alot of locations.... Such a smart guy!! I wasted two full days and visited almost 80 plus small obscure shops ( many were easy to just drive up and look in the window to see if a lever was sticking up or not!!)and never found one.

Chaz- you be the guide from now on....

Merry Christmas- I'll be trying these shops out!!
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Latte Jed

#19: Post by Latte Jed »

Mogo--It was a pleasure meeting you and it was also a lot of fun running around my old stomping grounds in Portland with a new perspective--looking for coffee houses with levers.

Finally got downtown and found the trailer you mentioned. It's on 9th and Alder and it's called the Spella Cafe. It's equipped with a two lever Rancilio.

I won't have time to check out the restaurants. I hope you will. I can recommend Portofino from an earlier visit.

cheers
chaz

Latte Jed

#20: Post by Latte Jed »

Here's another shop I found a month ago in Denver. It's a very cool restaurant on 22nd and Larimer in that emerging area north of downtown. Called Snooze, they only serve breakfast and lunch and a very very early breakfast (like 3am on Fri-Sat). It's a 2-Group Astoria.