Lever only machines - good options for steamer?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
master_photog

#1: Post by master_photog »

For those that have stand alone espresso machines, what are some stand alone steaming option machines?

I like the Astra Pro Steamer (as do they), but I'd need more justification for a steamer of this price point to purchase one. What other things can the Astra be used for other than steaming milk for the coffee?

MikeTheBlueCow

#2: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

Hadn't heard of it but looks like at that price point you could save money and buy a lower-cost espresso machine to steam the milk and have as backup...

I use the Bellman stovetop milk steamer, paired with my Flair Pro. It's really just dandy for steaming a single drink at a time and only $90-100 USD from Amazon or Prima Coffee.

myso

#3: Post by myso »

Quick Mill also has one or two models of dedicated steamer. They're sold for much cheaper.
http://www.quickmill.it/ita/gruppo-e61- ... -0961.aspx

shawndo

#4: Post by shawndo »

I think the quickmill auto milk steamer was discontinued a LONG time ago. if anyone knows differently Please send links!

*update this is a different steamer than the auto one Mr HB reviewed 10+ years ago.
It looks to be in the same price range as this one on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6M0SWY
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Balthazar_B

#5: Post by Balthazar_B »

Shawn, I see that CoffeeItalia seems to have both QM foamers in stock...
...and there are at least a couple of other places in Europe that seem to carry them, but nowhere in the Western Hemisphere.
- John

LMWDP # 577

shawndo

#6: Post by shawndo »

I always wanted the Auto steamer that Dan tested. At this point I have a cremina which can act as a dedicated steamer if I need it but would totally buy one of these if I ran across it in a garage sale or something.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

pab

#7: Post by pab »

the cheapest Pavoni you can find, and mod it to run at 2 bar

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Or an early generation Pavoni with low and high switch settings.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pab

#9: Post by pab replying to drgary »

yes, you don't even need to put a double switch and do some basic rewiring. Just add some millimeters of spacer inside the safety valve to allow higher pressures.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary replying to pab »

If higher pressure is even needed. My 1964 Europiccola steams like a freight train when vigorously venting steam through the overpressure valve. I only have it on the high setting for initial heating and for less than a minute for creating microfoam. Actual time needed for texturing milk is about 10 seconds.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!