Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 97

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jonny

#961: Post by jonny »

TomC
Team HB

#962: Post by TomC »

I kinda like the steam knob on the second picture as apposed to the standard one I have. I wonder how unoriginal it would be to have that on there. It could possibly be done up in a nice hard wood. It would be even better if the steam wand could rotate as well.

I know I have a whole new batch of threads to read thru now. I had originally only skimmed thru most of the Cremina threads drooling, and hoping one day. I didn't think I'd stumble on one in this great condition at such a great price right here practically in my back yard. It certainly makes that bit of overtime over the last couple of weeks well worth it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

drgary
Team HB

#963: Post by drgary »

Might as well dress it up the way you want it, and since it is a collectible machine, keep whatever original parts you have.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SAS
Supporter ❤

#964: Post by SAS »

1987 Olympia Cremina: Walnut Dressing

I finally made the filler cap and steam knob. The old filler cap was bakelite that came cracked in half. The filler cap also has a vacuum breaker that is threaded into the filler cap and sealed with a copper crush washer. The bakelite knob secured itself to the brass cap by a square shoulder. That square shoulder was only 1/8 inch high and stumped me for a long time. I finally figured out a solution to attaching a wooden piece to it.
BTW, the white, blue and red zones on the sight glass were made with plastic tape on it's back side. If you do this to your machine, overlap the tape as the heat shrinks it a bit.

I bought a 3/4" copper end cap used to seal off a copper pipe and drilled the hole for the vacuum breaker; this is the new crush washer! I epoxied an short piece of 3/4" copper tubing into the cap. I turned my wooden piece and inlet it to the dimensions the filler cap, copper end cap, and a short piece 3/4" copper tube. I epoxied the wood to the whole assembally. The vacuum breaker now sputters into the copper assembally before sealing and the old vent piece, (brass insert) lets the steam out. The wood stays dry and I finally have a wooden cap.

I used a 7 mm drill bit to drill a round hole in the steam knob so I could carve, (with an Exacto Knife), the round hole into a square hole to fit to the square valve stem of the steam valve. I want to find a brass insert instead of the white plastic disk.

Success!
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

doubleOsoul

#965: Post by doubleOsoul »

TomC wrote:I love Craigslist!

Almost as if it were fate. I was sitting here, relaxing on my first Saturday off in quite a while, reading the Caravel thread where folks were talking about prices and picking up gems secondhand without getting sucked in to the ridiculous high pricing these can command at auction. That reminded me to do my daily Craigslist check to see if anything new and interesting happened to pop up in the bay area....

Lo and behold, I find at the very top of the listings a minty fresh well cared for 67 Cremina, with all its components, for sell nearby.The listing had been up for about 20 minutes. One email and a phone call later, and I am now the proud owner of my own Cremina in amazing condition, rust free throughout. Now, I'm off to read up more from OE and others on the use and maintenance of these.

<image>

<image>

The owner bought it originally from Thomas Cara, in SF, best guess was just over 10 years ago. He used it once or twice but basically it has sat unused since he bought it. A month ago, he had the O-rings replaced in the group. Originally he took the outer shell to an auto painter and had it painted to match his kitchen decor. I will likely do the same and either return it to its original black, or maybe go with something custom. I can't imagine ever wanting to sell it.

I need to double check on the type of insulation here on the boiler. It doesn't look like asbestos like I've seen before, but I want to be absolutely sure.

<image>

The serial number plate shows that it was a 67 that was rewired for the US market from 220 to 110/ 50 Hz to 60Hz. (?) There's no way this was sitting on the shelf of Cara's shop for 30 years. So, I suppose it was normal for him to source units and rebuild them for the US market?

<image>

<image>

Tom, how you got it by me I don't know - but good job...lol. Just got down here and don't you know it, yesterday was the one day I wasn't surfing SFCL. Hopefully I'll score one to take back to maple leaf land.

OO

drgary
Team HB

#966: Post by drgary »

Tom's quick on the draw ... and it was fate. How do I know? Nothing but a miracle could get a Craigslist Cremina past OO. :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

TomC
Team HB

#967: Post by TomC »

doubleOsoul wrote:Tom, how you got it by me I don't know - but good job...lol. Just got down here and don't you know it, yesterday was the one day I wasn't surfing SFCL. Hopefully I'll score one to take back to maple leaf land.

OO

That line made my day ^ :)

Seriously, I think it was fate.. No joke, the listing had been up for all of 20 minutes tops. It was the second from the top listing. Glad to hear you are down here finally. Somehow, I could picture you traveling with a old fashioned photo album, filled with picture after picture of various awesome espresso machines! If so, you gotta meet up with as many of us as possible and show off!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

SAS
Supporter ❤

#968: Post by SAS »

Wasn't that the Cremina on C.L. offered for $1,500?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

rotchitos

#969: Post by rotchitos »

more modestly

http://machines.cafeslevier.free.fr/
I look for persons to translate into English one or + pages of my site... :-)

drgary
Team HB

#970: Post by drgary »

More modestly? That Zerowatt is lovely. You have more lever machines than a magician has rabbits in his hat! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308