Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 95

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
davestd

#941: Post by davestd »

Hi folks,
my last acquire: a very scarce home lever machine named "Antares" by Carimali (founder of Carimali was Mr. Athos Carimali, thus brand is his last name!). The cream body is enameled iron, very heavy to counteract the spring force. Very happy to have found such little jewel!! :D

yakster
Supporter ♡

#942: Post by yakster »

Just beautiful, David, thanks for posting.

Did you find it in that clean condition, or did you have to restore it?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

davestd

#943: Post by davestd replying to yakster »

Hi Yakster,
Yes, is very beautiful, I'm feel very lucky to have found it! :)

It had only some old dust, easy to clean; also I have dismounted the knobs and removed the dirt inside the knurls with an old theet's brush; then I have hand polished the brass frame who's fixing the (copper?) chromed rounded panel that hides the horizontal boiler. All the screws immersed for a while in a flux liquid.
Only for curiosity I have unscrewed the ferrule that keeps the group piston; the cylinder was quite clean, spring with no rust at all, seals looking well, but I will have more accurate feedback when I will electrically test the machine!
Oh, I have also removed the original electric cable, with a never seen before lead sheath!!

claypriley

#944: Post by claypriley »

That machine is sooooo Cool! Choutte! Che bella!
LMWDP #347

claypriley

#945: Post by claypriley »

It looks like it might have run on gas at one time? I was noticing the hole, lower left, maybe a pilot light hole?
LMWDP #347

davestd

#946: Post by davestd replying to claypriley »

Yes Clay,
it was running both electrically and on gas; and that hole let to lite on the burner. Inlet gas pipe was connected in the lower central brass pipe where is also the gas flow regulator knob. The little holes all around the emailed body let fresh air goes in to improve chimney effect.

TomC
Team HB

#947: Post by TomC »

That is such an interesting design. Beautiful curves, even in a relatively compact shape. Just gorgeous.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

davestd

#948: Post by davestd replying to TomC »

yes, curved like an old boat lamp: :wink:

Seriously, I never expected it had a horizontal boiler in line with group!

allon

#949: Post by allon »

That boat lamp looks like an interesting roaster design...
;-)
LMWDP #331

rick_bond

#950: Post by rick_bond »

In a recent fit of caffeine-induced madness, I found and acquired one of my favourite machines, the Conti Prestina. It was residing in the home of a Sydney accountant for the last 15 years, and before that had been the pride and joy of a small restaurant.

I've wanted one of these since watching Doug pulling apart a Prestina that he had restored.

They are certainly not 'pretty' machines, but damn they are well designed and functional.

Over the next few months I'll be doing a really thorough job of tearing down, cleaning and reassembly, luckily there is a bit of reference material already in this forum, thanks to drgary and others. I've already got myself a box full of parts directly from Conti, who still sell spares for this group as it's still in production.

I'll start a new thread once I have some further progress.

I'm thinking I might have one of very few imported to Australia.