Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 338

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv

#3371: Post by FotonDrv »

Does the Bosco pull a better shot?

I have been looking at Levers again and Bosco is high on the list.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IamOiman
Team HB

#3372: Post by IamOiman »

There is no lever group that I 'prefer' over others overall. However if forced to choose it would be a slight edge with the Gaggia group, partially due to the cool design. Serviceability is not the best though compared to other designs so it is not a group I'd recommend for long term use without knowledge and tools to work on them.

Bosco will always be a good machine to pick if looking at old school design and fabrication and you want a new machine
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

beer&mathematics

#3373: Post by beer&mathematics »

Like many, I've been longing for a Cremina. In January, I finally found a machine in the color I wanted and in decent enough shape:

Well, school's out and exams are graded so now I have a few weeks to get caffeinated! Actually, I got this machine in January but didn't get it in working order (all I needed to do was descale it and rebuild the group with new seals) until summertime. I tried to "wing it" and learn the machine without reading much on HB since then and had so-so results (unsurprisingly). Well, it has been months since I put new seals on so I took the piston out and reapplied Dow111 and it's back in action. And oh, so smooth. I also added a temperature strip which I think will help me learn the machine even more.

I gotta say it's been fun reading through all the old threads on HB concerning this machine. Here's a particularly useful one by Dennis (and part 2).
LMWDP #431

vberch
Supporter ♡

#3374: Post by vberch »

Jorge, your Cremina is stunning! I've had three Creminas over the years, a 1984 (brown), 1990 (red) and 2018 (red). I still have my brown 1984 Cremina and I use it regularly.

To my eye, your orange Cremina is the best looking one! Congratulations!
beer&mathematics wrote:Like many, I've been longing for a Cremina. In January, I finally found a machine in the color I wanted and in decent enough shape:

Well, school's out and exams are graded so now I have a few weeks to get caffeinated! Actually, I got this machine in January but didn't get it in working order (all I needed to do was descale it and rebuild the group with new seals) until summertime. I tried to "wing it" and learn the machine without reading much on HB since then and had so-so results (unsurprisingly). Well, it has been months since I put new seals on so I took the piston out and reapplied Dow111 and it's back in action. And oh, so smooth. I also added a temperature strip which I think will help me learn the machine even more.

I gotta say it's been fun reading through all the old threads on HB concerning this machine. Here's a particularly useful one by Dennis.

beer&mathematics

#3375: Post by beer&mathematics »

Thanks Vlad! Very cool you kept one of the Creminas. I like all the colors they came in with the original copper being my favorite but orange is 1b.

I love that you have a Lambro. I've been thinking of a bigger purchase and I'm dreaming of finding a Prestina. I'm patient tho :lol:

By the way, I always tell myself to upgrade my grinder but I can never spend the money when more cool machines are out there to try. Anyone else have this problem?
LMWDP #431

vberch
Supporter ♡

#3376: Post by vberch »

beer&mathematics wrote: ... I can never spend the money when more cool machines are out there to try. Anyone else have this problem?
Oh, no! Not me! :D

Here are two Creminas side by side, a red 1990 and brown 1984. Since then, QM Anita is gone, red Cremina is gone, Super Jolly is gone, even the table is gone! :)

Brown 1984 Cremina survived the test of time!

Starspawn2318

#3377: Post by Starspawn2318 »

I wanted a lever machine to go with my Decent. Tough choice. I was extremely tempted by some of the spring lever machines like profitec or londinium but at this point in my life 45 minute start up time even with a timer isn't of interest to me. Thought long and hard about the Cremina. Nothing wrong with it in particular but it's more expensive and quirky in certain ways (temp, water tank size, etc). Had a flair 58 in the past which was nice but I'm looking for something a little higher end with better workflow.

Not that this is perfect by any means. We'll have to see how a scale is able to fit under the portafilter. Since the portafilter is 49mm I'll have to adjust from having all the nice 58mm accessories. Hoping the temp is stable enough. Looking forward to the fast warm up time. I'll have to decide wether to add the pressure gauge at some point. Looking forward to having some fun with it.

vberch
Supporter ♡

#3378: Post by vberch »

Frank, it's gorgeous! I've been meaning to add a CT2 to my collection. I've been talking to Wouter for a while, but hoping to find one used. If not, I am gong to probably bite the bullet and get a new one. What wood is it?
Starspawn2318 wrote:image

I wanted a lever machine to go with my Decent. Tough choice. I was extremely tempted by some of the spring lever machines like profitec or londinium but at this point in my life 45 minute start up time even with a timer isn't of interest to me. Thought long and hard about the Cremina. Nothing wrong with it in particular but it's more expensive and quirky in certain ways (temp, water tank size, etc). Had a flair 58 in the past which was nice but I'm looking for something a little higher end with better workflow.

Not that this is perfect by any means. We'll have to see how a scale is able to fit under the portafilter. Since the portafilter is 49mm I'llm have to adjust from having all the nice 58mm accessories. Hoping the temp is stable enough. Looking forward to the fast warm up time. I'll have to decide wether to add the pressure gauge at some point. Looking forward to having some fun with it.

Starspawn2318

#3379: Post by Starspawn2318 »

Bocote wood

vberch
Supporter ♡

#3380: Post by vberch replying to Starspawn2318 »

Thanks! Very nice!