Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 337

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#3361: Post by drgary »

Did you do a powdercoat refinish? That looks great. How does the airbuster work? Take care with the Bong Isolator, some of them have been known to distort and leak. I'm more in favor of something of similar shape and thickness that is multiple layers of metal and plastic so that you're not relying on the plastic to stay intact by itself. Also a heat sensor of some kind on the group can help a lot. I think that's the most important addition people use with these machines.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3362: Post by baldheadracing replying to drgary »

That is a really nice finish.

Bong's Airbuster is a typical boiler vacuum breaker wrapped up so it doesn't spit water. Ingenious idea, although I just grind a little finer and wait a little longer before pulling down on the lever :wink:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

kidloco

#3363: Post by kidloco »

He did not know that about the Bong, I will pay attention to it. Yes, I will just add a simple temperature strip. Powder coating was done in Germany, I did a similar thing on my Cremina base probably ten years ago, and it looks really good.

LObin

#3364: Post by LObin »

baldheadracing wrote:That is a really nice finish.

Bong's Airbuster is a typical boiler vacuum breaker wrapped up so it doesn't spit water. Ingenious idea, although I just grind a little finer and wait a little longer before pulling down on the lever :wink:.
There's still trapped air, even if you wait longer before pulling down on the lever. The Airbuster and/or a slide valve evacuates that trapped air allowing for more water to fill the chamber as well as providing a much higher grab for better profiling abilities, from my own experience. It also eliminates the PF sneeze and allows on the backflush the group, which are answers to fake problems IMO.

The Airbuster is not a necessity but it's definitely a nice addition for someone looking to unlock even more possibilities out of these timeless designs ;)
LMWDP #592

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3365: Post by baldheadracing »

Yes, there is still trapped air - I like some as it makes for a dry puck (and a foam 'tongue' :lol:).

Seriously though, I can get up to around 33g output, which is enough for me. I typically stop double shots around 24-28g, and at those masses I can still have a decent pressure when I stop.

That's all I need out of a Europiccola. For those who want more, it is good to have these mods available.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

IamOiman
Team HB

#3366: Post by IamOiman »

This was a comparison I was meaning to showbut simply had not placed the Marte and Mercurio side-by-side until now, when I moved the Marte from the kitchen to the dining room. Measurements were taken as the following:

Marte:
Height - 14"
Height (with plexi) - 18.75"
Width - 17.5"
Depth (including grille and hot water valve) - 19"

Mercurio 3rd Series:
Height - 17"
Height (with plexi) - 22"
Width - 13"
Depth (including grille and inlet/hot water valve) - 19"
Height to subtract without feet - 1"

The 3rd series Mercurio should be about the same size as its earlier versions but the feet will add an inch to the height.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

FotonDrv

#3367: Post by FotonDrv »

those machines are true works of art! Which one produces the best shots?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IamOiman
Team HB

#3368: Post by IamOiman »

I have no favorite from a shot perspective, but the Marte needs 2-3 minutes before I can unlock the pf without a sneeze. The Mercurio's thermosyphon group needs only about 20 seconds. So from a workflow perspective I like the Mercurio more.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

FotonDrv

#3369: Post by FotonDrv »

thank you for the explanation.

Would you attribute that sneeze to the basket porosity?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IamOiman
Team HB

#3370: Post by IamOiman »

Perhaps, but on my Bosco (the machine the basket comes from) it's similar to the Mercurio on when I can unlock it and have a dry puck. I am not in a hurry when pulling shots so I usually just wait until it's not going to sneeze.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612