Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 14

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
missionhb

#131: Post by missionhb »

Hi All,

After Arrarex definively disappeared, It seems the Arrarex "Little" was rescucitated for some months/years by Zerowatt that was selling this model late 1978.
This machine presents a classical Arrarex design: open boiler, "hollow piston", dry heating element (attached to boiler but separated from water by inox encasing), and thermostat (not adjustable, though).

Cheers,
F
LMWDP CLXXIV

popeye

#132: Post by popeye »

I recently found a microcimbali for $150 up in LA.

It was completely choked over with scale, which was a problem because the boiler is aluminum. I've scrubbed most of it out, I'm leaving a very light coating in as a buffer (I don't know if that works or not, but the boiler is pretty pitted.) I love this machine - talk about temp stability. I've got it PID'd via a thermcouple in the brass grouphead ring (external to the boiler) and the temperature of the water taken through the fill tube in the top is only 1-2 degrees lower! That's a 1-2 degree delta across the entire machine, including the boiler. intra and intershot stability are probably significantly better. It's an extroadinary saturated grouphead. (note: the machine is still warming up, hence 183 in the pics). I'm requesting a number: LMWDP link

It's now in working condition, so i'm trying to clean it up as I find the time. Anyone have any experience with these? There are a number of brass parts, which are great, but the base, lower boiler, and boiler cap seem to be some sort of gold-painted metal. I'm thinking about repainting them, unless someone has a better suggestion. Also, the piston doesn't seem to "grab" much water sometimes. I've replaced the seals, so i was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before.

Oh, and the presso portafilter will fit if i use a gasket to make it taller. Which works, because i can make it bottomless without destroying the machine's original portafilter.
Spencer Weber

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
rick meinig

#133: Post by rick meinig »

Here is my Gaggia Orione. I brought it to Colorado in 1992 after badgering for years the owner of a defunct restuarant in San Antonio Texas. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was a fraction of the orginal asking price that was proposed some 4 or 5 years earlier! I was able to get some gaskets, pressure switch, and knob parts from ABC, Inc. (now Deluxe) in Sun Valley Ca-the importer in the early 60's. The machine now has its own alcove here at home where it enjoys a pampered life.....

espressme

#134: Post by espressme »

Holy Coffee Crema,
What nice warm friends to come home to! And, Over kill too!
Thanks for the insight as to what folks have and enjoy!
Best to all!
sincerely
richard / espressme
richard penney LMWDP #090,

hbuchtel

#135: Post by hbuchtel »

popeye wrote: Oh, and the presso portafilter will fit if i use a gasket to make it taller. Which works, because i can make it bottomless without destroying the machine's original portafilter.
Just wanted to tell you that I was using a bottomless Presso PF in a cheap pump machine (the Precisia- no OPV) for a while and the PF changed shape under the pressure... to the point that it is now quite hard to get a basket in and out.

I don't know if the Presso PFs are made out of a different metal then other pfs or what... but something to look out for! Perhaps leave a bit of extra material on the bottom of the PF to strengthen it a bit?

Henry
LMWDP #53

sorrentinacoffee

#136: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

Knock wrote:Well folks,
no peerless sunrises here but something from the dawn of home levers I think - a mixture of the faema baby, gaggia gilda and vesuvio stove top types whose name is unknown, to me at least...

Thanks for posting this fantastic "space ship- captains lounge" lever espresso machine. Was there a name mentioned with this machine when it was sold (I assume on ebay)? Was it out of Italy? Does anyone know anything about this machine?

this crazy- who said it, "beautiful...ugly"? machine is just that -and more- and has stirred my passions for sure.... I would probably have been forced to bid higher than 800.

I think the unknown vesuviana you are thinking of is actually the known "atomic" style machine. Very similar to the Vesuviana but with a uniquely defined form of its own. The lever machine you posted here is clearly a fantastical elaboration of the Atomic form...

compare:

and:

Right down to the little boiler plug. It takes a wild leap- but you can see where it came from.

I want one a lot...

Now, just to keep this all lever related: I will add possibly the littlest lever machine of them all (if you can call it a machine- and I think you can)

The Baby Faemina Crema Caffe:

Unfortunately the rather unique rubber seal on the piston has shrunk too much so it can't handle the pressure. I would love to get this one restored, and if I do I will clean it up and take better images...

Great design- like a rocket ship- but finicky to use- you need to fill the portafilter halfway with coffee- then insert a spacer- then boiling water- then strap it on and pull the dual levers- and not get scalded in the process- and do it quick enough for a good extraction. Takes barista's to a new level... of sorts.

sorrentinacoffee

r-gordon-7

#137: Post by r-gordon-7 »

sorrentinacoffee wrote:
The Baby Faemina Crema Caffe:

Unfortunately the rather unique rubber seal on the piston has shrunk too much so it can't handle the pressure. I would love to get this one restored, and if I do I will clean it up and take better images...

Great design- like a rocket ship- but finickity to use- you need to fill the portafiller halfway with coffee- then insert a spacer- then boiling water- then strap it on and pull the dual levers- and not get scalded in the process- and do it quick enough for a good extraction. Takes barista's to a new level... of sorts.

Looks like a predecessor to this one - the Presso - which I don't have but which I've found interesting since first seeing the picture on the net...

Though, ultimately, I'll probably continue to stay with machines that heat the water internally and therefore are less prone to scalding the clumsy, such as me...

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7
LMWDP #188

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
sorrentinacoffee

#138: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

hello there Gordon,

the presso is clearly the child of the baby faemina. However the addition of their ingenious valve/filling system makes the design much more user friendly and greatly reduces any scalding risks. I prefer the 50's Atomic styling of the baby though...

I have a Presso and it can produce a great shot with a lot of crema. However the main seal on mine went very quickly and I had to have the bayonet fitting repaired- at the moment it is out of action. I feel the design and build quality leave a little to be desired. I hope they come out with an improved presso2 one of these days.

missionhb

#139: Post by missionhb »

A weird Neowatt manual lever machine. The sight glass is retroilluminated by a 10W bulb hidden in the machine body.
Cheers,
F.

LMWDP CLXXIV

sorrentinacoffee

#140: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

That Neowatt is weird but wonderful.

Looks more Scandinavian minimalist than Italian style.

how well does it work?

love it.