Spring Lever accidents - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DanoM

#31: Post by DanoM »

I had a bad slip on my Strega once early on. Scared me and I spent a good long time inspecting, but no damage. Since then I had one damp lever slip so I always wipe hands and lever if there's any moisture. On top of that I remind myself from time to time to always stand to the side of the lever.

Like anything you'll learn if you pay attention to the machine.
I think a La Pavoni, with the uncovered boiler, is far more prone for injury. It "bites" and "stings" until your body knows how to move around the machine safely. Luckily, I've never had much of an issue with that either.
LMWDP #445

Londonespressolover

#32: Post by Londonespressolover »

About 6 months ago, my wife was pulling down the lever, realised there was no coffee in the basket so she just let go!
Bang - the lever went back with full force . water leaking. She had dislodged some pipes, which I couldn't get back into the correct position.
we now owned the worlds most expensive kettle.
I FaceTimed Reiss who patiently showed me how to fix it.
Of course we laugh about it now, but if she had been between the lever and machine it would have catastrophic, she thinks it's possible the front of the machine actually lifted off the kitchen top with the force.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#33: Post by baldheadracing »

A classic demonstration from 1st-line:
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chamchi

#34: Post by chamchi »

baldheadracing wrote:A classic demonstration from 1st-line:
video
I'm considering the Odyssey Espresso Argos but didn't realize what everyone was talking about until i watched this!! :shock:

LObin

#35: Post by LObin replying to chamchi »

If that's your only worry, go ahead and do it. It's like burning yourself on a super hot E61 group... You only do it once. Then you learn. That's my case.

For others, it simply never happens.
LMWDP #592

malling

#36: Post by malling »

chamchi wrote:I'm considering the Odyssey Espresso Argos but didn't realize what everyone was talking about until i watched this!! :shock:
Most people will never experience it, they live happily unaware of the potential danger of a spring lever. With my former spring I never not once experienced it.

Your far more likely to burn yourself on the steam(arm) or brewhead.

AMac

#37: Post by AMac »

chamchi wrote:I'm considering the Odyssey Espresso Argos but didn't realize what everyone was talking about until i watched this!! :shock:
It wasn't my proudest moments, but I'm one of those lessons you learn from instead of having to learn it yourself :lol:

The exposed brewhead has definitely gotten me more times trying to clean around it while it's still hot.