Leaking Faema Faemina sight glass

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by nirdvorai »

After replacing all the gaskets in my 3rd series Faema Faemina, I discovered a very small leak from the sight glass.
First I want to know if everything is normal- when water present in the boiler you can see them in the sight glass? I guess this is what the sight glass for.. but it seems strange that the spring is sitting cover with water.

I put the new sight glass gasket and ring from Francesco, and close the lid by hand. Do I need to tight it with pipe wrench? does the gap in my sight glass normal? The glass is not original, but it's 3mm thick par to Francesco.

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

does it leak under pressure or already without? Afaik the bezel needs to be tightened more than hand tight but not overly tight. What gasket did you use? Some of the fibrous gaskets leak a tiny bit initially.
LMWDP #483

nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

It leaks while machine at rest. In the first few days it wasn't leaking, then I used the machine for few days (2 espresso per day) and after 3-4 days I notice the leak. It still leaking now, even I didn't use the machine for few days.
I used 2 gaskets, one is black and one is green. Seems like the green is fibre?

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

the green is indeed a fibrous gasket, are you sure the gasket seats are perfectly clean? Tiny specks of dirt may prevent a good seal, so does loose fit, did you try turn the bezel a bit more?
LMWDP #483

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Did you put the fiber gasket to the outside, and give both a light application of grease? The bezel should be just hand tightened, and make sure all surfaces are clean and smooth. Also check the glass itself.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

I didn't recall applying light grease to the gaskets. The fiber gasket is the deeper one. Since my hands are not that strong I tight it a little bit more with wise grip last night. I hope it's not to tight now. No leak since then, But I need to continue using the machine in order to determine for sure.

If I need to open it again I will apply grease. I don't know how I skipped it, I usually do so.

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl »

if it;s a slight leak this should work...or you will find out! :wink:
LMWDP #483

slassahn

#8: Post by slassahn »

Did you replace your sight glass. I need to get a new one. Any suggestions on where to get a sight glass. Thanks

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) replying to slassahn »

No. I just needed to tighten the bezel a notch or two.