Lapera DS second edition update - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:I assume all that blue is tape covering the paint also covers a shot mirror?
The backsplash is polished metal; the tape is there for protection during assembly.

As for serving as a shot mirror, I don't know about the second edition. On mine, I presume the angled part at the bottom of the backsplash matches what was done on vintage Brugnetti Auroras - the angled part is neither big enough nor angled the right way to serve as a shot mirror. The pics of the second edition look like that angled part might be bigger, but that may just be an illusion. It could be nice to have, though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

FotonDrv

#22: Post by FotonDrv »

Thank you, it appears to be the same as on my Slayer and it works fine as a mirror.

On the website for Lapera it does not list current pricing. Is it priced per ones own specification or is there list somewhere?

Another question; does the PID monitor boiler water temp or temps somewhere else?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Team HB

#23: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) replying to FotonDrv »

AFAIK, the PID monitors service boiler water temperature. I don't know the details, as the boiler design and materials on current machines are not the same as mine.

For the mirror and further details about current and future machines - I would suggest conversing with Thomas directly, as I won't know the answers. I've just e-mailed you his address.

For pricing, there have been two releases, with each release being 10-15 machines. Announcement of the third is coming. One subscribes to the notifications via the Lapera website and there will eventually be an e-mail with pricing info, when deposits will be taken, expected delivery times, etc. The second release was $12k CAD, which was about $9625 USD at the time. Time to delivery for the first release was three months, but the second release ended up taking longer - just over a year between ordering and delivery. I don't know why. AFAIK, the main option is custom paint colour.

FotonDrv

#24: Post by FotonDrv »

Thank you Craig.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mathof

#25: Post by mathof »

Does anyone know the source of the name Lapera? All I can think of is the Italian "la pera" (the pear) but that doesn't seem to fit the case. Maybe it's a proper name.

Lambretta58
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Lambretta58 »

I know I read about where Lapera name came from but I cannot remember where at the moment.

This article covers the model, DS.
https://dailycoffeenews.com/2021/02/17/ ... o-machine/
LMWDP #675

Team HB

#27: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

mathof wrote:Does anyone know the source of the name Lapera? All I can think of is the Italian "la pera" (the pear) but that doesn't seem to fit the case.
You are correct:
Thomas McIntosh wrote:My design company is called Performance Architecture. Short form: Pear.
Lapera -> The Pear {in Italian}

McIntosh has the Apple. I have a pear ;)

mathof

#28: Post by mathof »

Ah, thank you for the enlightenment.
I've been pronouncing it LA*pe*ra.
I suppose, now, it's la*PE*ra.

Team HB

#29: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

FYI, I'm heading down to Montréal on Thursday to Lapera to get some custom work done. If folks want to know or see anything in particular, please post or DM.

Grasshopper200

#30: Post by Grasshopper200 »

No. 15 reporting for duty. Just set the machine up a couple of days ago. I've pulled about 6 shots. It's a jewel.