Lambro - weak flow

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Paolo

#1: Post by Paolo »

In borrowing Espressotime's picture from a previous thread (Thanks, Alf!)

When I lower the lever on my Lambro, I get a weak flow of water.
I don't think that I have changed anything....the flow just seems to be reduced from where it was in the past....and the shots have suffered.

When I turn this rod (borrowed from the picture above)-

either clockwise or anti-clockwise, there is no difference in the flow. There used to be. In the past I could set it and have a gentle flow or an extreme flow.
It seems that there is a blockage somewhere. Do any Lambro experts know where I should look?

DJF

#2: Post by DJF »

My first thought is scale. Where are you? Sydney has some hard water but where I am on the Mornington Peninsula I have never had to descale my Lambro.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

Paolo wrote:In borrowing Espressotime's picture from a previous thread (Thanks, Alf!)

When I lower the lever on my Lambro, I get a weak flow of water.
I don't think that I have changed anything....the flow just seems to be reduced from where it was in the past....and the shots have suffered.

When I turn this rod (borrowed from the picture above)-

either clockwise or anti-clockwise, there is no difference in the flow. There used to be. In the past I could set it and have a gentle flow or an extreme flow.
It seems that there is a blockage somewhere. Do any Lambro experts know where I should look?
Basically mine has got two settings.1. Shut off or 2. open.
I don't believe this version was meant to be used as a flow control device but as a shut of valve to do maintenance on the group without having to shut off the entire machine. Which would make sense on multi group machines in a cafe like surrounding. But that is just a guess.

vberch

#4: Post by vberch »

Here is a great post from Dominick showing how a Zodiaco group flow control valve should work: /levers/fae ... ml#p418034. Mine works in the same way. I adjusted mine for 270g per 30 secs flowrate. I know Dominick has a two group President and he adjusted one of his groups for slower and the other group for faster flowrate.

Paolo (original poster)

#5: Post by Paolo (original poster) » replying to vberch »

Yes...this is how my Lambro used to be. I could adjust the flow. Now it is either on or off.

I will measure the mls over 30 seconds and see how it compares to your 270gm.

With such a gentle flow as mine, it takes many seconds to fill a dry puck. When I lift the lever from the down position, it goes to the 10 o'clock/10:30 position straight away and reaches fully up after just a few seconds.

vberch

#6: Post by vberch » replying to Paolo »

Hi Paolo, if the lever goes from 10 o'clock to fully up position in a few seconds, you may want to grind finer.

Paolo (original poster)

#7: Post by Paolo (original poster) »

Hi Vlad,
I need to spend more time with my Lambro to reaquaint myself with its quirks.
When you pre-infuse for 20 seconds, does the lever on your machine rise straight to 10:00? Or a different location?

vberch

#8: Post by vberch » replying to Paolo »

Paolo, with my flowrate when I preinfuse for 15 seconds, the lever catches at 10:00 o'clock and then depending on coffee and grind the shot takes 30 to 45 seconds with lever at around 12:00 o'clock when I stop the shot.

Paolo (original poster)

#9: Post by Paolo (original poster) »

vberch wrote:Paolo, with my flowrate when I preinfuse for 15 seconds, the lever catches at 10:00 o'clock and then depending on coffee and grind the shot takes 30 to 45 seconds with lever at around 12:00 o'clock when I stop the shot.
Thanks for that information. I appreciate it.

espressotime

#10: Post by espressotime »

vberch wrote:Here is a great post from Dominick showing how a Zodiaco group flow control valve should work: /levers/fae ... ml#p418034. Mine works in the same way. I adjusted mine for 270g per 30 secs flowrate. I know Dominick has a two group President and he adjusted one of his groups for slower and the other group for faster flowrate.
That's a different group.